Search

Award Points or Miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 1999, 6:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Award Points or Miles

I apologize if this has been discussed previously, just accepted a Hertz #1 Gold Membership and have not previously followed this thread.

Which is better Award Points or Miles?

The reservation site also provides an opportunity list both and airline and hotel affiliation. What's the explanation for that?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Sep 24, 1999, 8:11 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Both are only modestly helpful, IMHO. It depends on your individual preferences and the length of time your renting. And you have to be both patient and persistent for miles.
Old Sep 24, 1999, 12:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Punki, if you do the math Award points come out way ahead value wise (assuming no double/triple mile promos). You get 1 point per rental dollar (not including gas, taxes, etc.). The points can be redeemed starting at 600 points for a free one day rental off-peak (basically anytime except holidays). Longer rentals provide even more award value.

You can also convert Award points to airline FF miles on a 1 to 1 basis with any of Hertz's airline partners. This helps avoid those situations where you fly a seldom used airline and can't take the miles in your preferred FF program because of the "must have flight in conjunction with" rule.

The only drawback I see is that the points expire at the end of the year 2 or 3 years after being earned.
Old Sep 24, 1999, 12:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
is the point crediting more reliable than the miles with hertz?
Old Sep 24, 1999, 12:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Rudi, point crediting has been quite good but rather slow. (Close to 8 weeks after a rental.) You can check your total balance on-line but it doesn't list the individual rentals. Statements listing your complete activity are mailed once a quarter I believe.

I have rented from Hertz at least 15 times this year and as near as I can figure, they have not missed a posting or made an error yet. As long as you have the "ZE1" code in your reservation (in place of a FF #), you'll see the points.
Old Sep 24, 1999, 1:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
thank you MileKing - I will apply today.
Old Sep 24, 1999, 2:46 pm
pgupta011

I myself collect points mainly because I want free car rentals and not miles (and my current employer's agreement with Hertz prohibits miles, so I collect points).

Actually there are three options for Hertz: 1) airline miles (I thought that Hertz was doing away with conjunctive flight requirements, but I am not sure), 2) Marriott points, and 3) Hertz points. Another wrinkle is that for airline miles and Marriott points, leisure bookings get twice the number of miles/points than corporate bookings. But for Hertz points there is no difference. This makes miles/Marriott pts a little more attractive for leisure bookings. Airline miles and hertz points are based on your pretax spending for the rental. If you opt instead for Marriott points you will get either 500 or 1000 Marriott reward points. Also keep in mind that they will charge you tax on the miles if you opt for miles.

So if you need free car rentals consider Hertz #1 points. For one day (especially leisure booking) consider Marriott points. If you are in it just for airline miles and have leisure bookings, take the airline miles and not Hertz points. YMMV, look at which of these options is more attractive to you.

I have not had any problem with crediting of points for either Marriott (which I have done once or twice) or for Hertz points. As with all car rentals, make sure that they have accurately entered the information in your record (recently on an Avis rental I gave my BA FF card to the agent, but the agent forgot to enter the number. Luckily I caught this).

[This message has been edited by pgupta011 (edited 09-24-1999).]

Old Sep 24, 1999, 3:11 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks Mile King and PG. Excellent points. And 15/15 is pretty darn impressive in this arena! Slow is another story and I can personlly live with that easily (particularly with accuracy as a trdeoff).
Old Sep 24, 1999, 9:17 pm
Original Member

Excellent points, as always, pgupta011! It is complicated with Hertz because of the difference in miles for leisure bookings and the availability of Marriott Rewards points. I did an analysis at one point and concluded that the only situation that made sense for going with the Marriott points was on 1 day rentals. Anything more and points or miles provided more value.
Old Sep 25, 1999, 12:05 am
pgupta011

BTW - Inside Flyer reported a few months ago that you can get both Marriott points and airline miles for your Hertz rental. I tried it once and it did not work for me - I just got the Marriott points.

Old Sep 25, 1999, 9:42 am
Original Member

That has never worked for me either, pgupta011.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.