Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Airlines have the same thing and you can buy a magazine which counts. Think you can also do with Hertz
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Ijones027
just want to give a data point made a reservation for Jan and had some remaining points left my expiration date was july 26 my account today balance is negative
Another data point regarding expiring points. Points were expiring last week so I made a future reservation using points (for several months in the future) and also made a reservation with points which I canceled. Neither of those did anything as I just checked my account and I now have "0" points. Looks like you have to actually complete a rental before your expiration date or they're gone. I had a whole bunch of points in there so this really sucks.
Anyone have any experience/idea of any options to get expired points back? Paying a fee?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:57 am

Ijones027: What does it mean if your account balance is negative? That Hertz will charge you anyway for the points rental far in the future?

knownothing: No, the e-rewards survey deal with Hertz no longer extends points expiry. Only points earned and redeemed on a rental will.

IDM79: So it sounds like Hertz is quietly changing their policies to close the known loopholes. I doubt you can get your points back. Just take it as yet another reason to avoid renting from Hertz, assuming you have a choice.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: IHG AMB/Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I only have about 750 points which is good for 1 day. I am taking a trip to Europe soon and wanted a car for 1 day in Vienna but they said something about a franchise issue and I cannot use my points.

The points are set to expire this week - any way to just get a magazine or transfer to an airline? We are not talking much but as usual just hate to throw them away

Maybe an updated wiki on top of this thread would help?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Just take it as yet another reason to avoid renting from Hertz, assuming you have a choice.
If his points expired, that means he hasn't rented in two years, so it sounds like he's already taken your advice.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
IDM79: So it sounds like Hertz is quietly changing their policies to close the known loopholes. I doubt you can get your points back. Just take it as yet another reason to avoid renting from Hertz, assuming you have a choice.
I emailed them and asked about the "rental activity" requirement and pointed out that my account did show points deducted for a future reservation - hence, "activity." But of course they said, "no, that means "completed rental activity."

Me: But there's nothing in there that says anything about "completed" activity. Just "rental activity". Which, by most any definition, making a reservation and paying points for it would qualify as "activity."

Hertz: The "completed" part is implied.

Me: Why would a business "imply" their guidelines? The whole point of guidelines and requirements is NOT to imply, but to spell it out. How hard is it to add the word "completed" so there's no confusion and nobody will lose their points because they didn't know you meant something you didn't say? Adding a few letters of e-ink to your expiration guidelines can't be that expensive or time-consuming can it?

Hertz: Sorry, needs to be completed activity.

Me: See how easy that is to say? Now why don't you just write that down and put it in your points expiration guidelines. No inferring or implying to worry about or putting up with annoying people like me giving you a hard time for your shoddy expiration explanation. But anyway, let's play this your way...O.k., I "completed" reserving and paying for my upcoming reservation. Happy?

Hertz: We don't consider that "completed".

Me: Great. You don't consider this activity to fit the definition of "completed" as you mean it. So you're implying your own limited definition of a term that was only implied itself and wasn't in your guidelines to begin with. Have I got that right?

Hertz: Yup.

Me: There's no way I can win here, is there?

Hertz: Nope.

Me: Well I'm voting for Bernie and we're going to tax all you evil big business corporations out the wazoo. So there.

Hertz: Fine. How do you think we're going to compensate for the additional money the government will be taking from us, genius.

Me: There's no way I can win here, is there?

Hertz: Have a nice day!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:54 pm

I wouldn't have mentioned Bernie Sanders and taxes. I would have instead asked, "So clearly the points are becoming nearly worthless. Hertz is becoming the most expensive discount brand. Does Hertz value my business as a future customer? Give me one good reason to rent from you again that is relevant to my travel habits."
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:00 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
My points were about to expire so I booked a rental with points on July 20th. The rental is for October 2nd.
Today the remainder of the points that I still had in the account is gone.

I logged in, I see no points activity but the balance is 0.

Is this a glitch (I wonder if normally you shouldn't see some activity when your points expire).
But I also wonder how this is possible. It says no activity over the last 24 months and the last activity was only 2 weeks ago...
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:06 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
There are a few threads that seem to indicate it has to be rental activity. Here is one:

Hertz Misleading Expiration Policy.

Some folks say that if you book an award rental and then cancel it (so the points are deposited back into your account) that it resets the clock:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...xpiration.html

YMMV.
Thanks for the link to a recent thread. I'll leave this thread be as the other thread is back from 2014 (though info is relevant here)

--Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
As an FYI- the expiration period is now 18 months instead of 24.

My SO just got caught up in this an Hertz refused to reinstate her points.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin
As an FYI- the expiration period is now 18 months instead of 24.

My SO just got caught up in this an Hertz refused to reinstate her points.
This must be a regional change. https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...U_GPR_FAQs.jsp
This is the information I see and there it still says 24 months.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
This must be a regional change. https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...U_GPR_FAQs.jsp
This is the information I see and there it still says 24 months.
Our fault for not keeping up with the changes,but we don't recall any notifications of this new expiration policy
I did not check to see if it was regional,because Hertz was very clear that her points would not be reinstated. This is what I see-
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...e=GPR_FAQs.jsp
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:17 pm

My points 6500 was also expired this month
My last rental was in 2017/09, if that is 24 months, should not be expired.
5500 of 6500 I bought from gateway promotion at 2018/04, , cost me 280 dollars, in the term when I bought it, the term indicated 24 months rule
I did not receive any email about they changed the policy to 18 months

I called CRS twice to ask them if they can waiver this time to reinstate once, but both of CSR refuse.

I am not sure why they do not want to wavier it once since the term they change recently is not very friendly.

I just want book this month and found my points gone
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin
Our fault for not keeping up with the changes,but we don't recall any notifications of this new expiration policy
I did not check to see if it was regional,because Hertz was very clear that her points would not be reinstated. This is what I see-
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...e=GPR_FAQs.jsp
The contents of the page must change depending on your browser location. This is a copy/paste of the expiration rule I see when I go to that page:

Do my Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Points expire?

Points do not expire as long as you have a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards rental activity in the prior 24 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards Point was either earned or redeemed on a rental.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:30 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Points expired. Any way to revive?

I had 5000 points in my Hertz account, which i let expire by mistake. is there any way to revive them ? I am planning a trip in Sept to Europe and I was planning to use them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.