Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

New to Hertz - Why do I always get the base model in the far back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GE

Company has chosen Hertz and I seem to experience the same thing at multiple small airport locations. I walk up and they pick a set of keys, type a few things and tell me what spot the car is in.

Each time, it has been waaaayyyy in the back and each time the car has been the very base model, for instance, no bluetooth on all three.

First time, it was a Jeep Compass, walk past a Jeep Compass Limited then all the way to the back, base model. Recently at a different location I was offered a Jeep Compass (again) and I passed (learned my lesson) and they said how about a Town and Country? Walked pass at least five T&C baked in - ready to go - to a Grand Caravan (no BT). I called the desk because I wasn't going to walk all that way for nothing and all she said was that was strange and if I wanted to wait I could see what else they bring up from being washed? The lot was full of cars, all kinds.

What is the deal? Is this just how it is? No status (gold) = BASE anything? Have status, get better equipped vehicles? I actually bought an aux cable, haven't used one of these in years!
Old May 19, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
There is absolutely no reason to not register for Hertz Gold membership ;-)
It is a matter of convenience, and the chances of getting better cars go up dramatically
Old May 19, 2016, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you getting the vehicle type that you book? If the vehicles do not have features that you want, perhaps you may want to consider a different category of vehicle. Hertz doesn't buy lower standard cars to give to non members in the same category
Old May 19, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Intercontinental Ambassador, Marriott & HHonors at some-rubbish-middle-tier
I have what Hertz call "status", never got upgraded, always get a pathetic Nissan Turda. So no it's not you, it's just Hertz.
Old May 20, 2016, 5:45 am

Are these one-ways? And/or are your rates considered relatively low?
Old May 31, 2016, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GE
I should have clarified, I do have entry status through my employer. We do get pretty decent rates, although we are supposed to pay the difference for anything other than a compact (I've been doing full).

So the little difference coming out of my pocket, I just didn't understand why two physically separate locations do this. It was just odd to walk past Car A - Limited to the very back of the lot for Car A - Basic.

I am a Lifetime EE with National so this is a bit new to me!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am a PC and many of my recent rentals included walks to some of the most remote corners of hertz lots for basic cars. Including a particularly memorable one at LAX to spot 983 or smth similar with luggage and small kids after flight delay. The agent clearly saw my family tired after long travel and still sent us to generic car as far as you could possible go on lax lot.

So it's not you, it's hertz.

I try to stay away from them as much as i can but that's the only option for corporate one way rates to/from our site...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.