Wiki Posts
Search

Unavailable class on Prepaid

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Unavailable class on Prepaid

Recently booked and prepaid for an FCAR in one of the Illinois corporate airport locations.

Received the Carfirmation and was surprised to see that an Elantra was assigned (IDAR). When I arrived to pick up the car, I saw two Sonatas in the parking lot, as well as a Maxima.

When I questioned the agent about why I was being downgraded on a prepaid booking, she said she would adjust my rate (what's actually only a $3 difference) or I could have the Maxima for an additional $30.

I called Customer Service and they also spoke to the agent. Same thing. Take the smaller car or pay up for the upgrade.

In the end, the agent was kind enough to call her manager and give the Maxima without an addition charge.

What are some of your experiences with these kind of situations? It's pretty common sense that a prepaid booking is an actual binding contract, no? Sold out, ok. But there is a Premium car and two Full Sizes sitting in the lot, with the Premium available. I don't understand the need to argue and haggle for half an hour just to get the larger car.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by bsb21
Recently booked and prepaid for an FCAR in one of the Illinois corporate airport locations.

Received the Carfirmation and was surprised to see that an Elantra was assigned (IDAR). When I arrived to pick up the car, I saw two Sonatas in the parking lot, as well as a Maxima.

When I questioned the agent about why I was being downgraded on a prepaid booking, she said she would adjust my rate (what's actually only a $3 difference) or I could have the Maxima for an additional $30.

I called Customer Service and they also spoke to the agent. Same thing. Take the smaller car or pay up for the upgrade.

In the end, the agent was kind enough to call her manager and give the Maxima without an addition charge.

What are some of your experiences with these kind of situations? It's pretty common sense that a prepaid booking is an actual binding contract, no? Sold out, ok. But there is a Premium car and two Full Sizes sitting in the lot, with the Premium available. I don't understand the need to argue and haggle for half an hour just to get the larger car.
So, you had an FCAR booked, they had FCARs on the lot, but they wouldn't give you one? That's absurd. If for some reason, they had three FCAR reservations and only two FCARs, then I could understand either (a) giving you the Maxima since you were there first (with the other two folks getting the Sonatas) or (b) giving you a Sonata and hoping one of the other FCAR people didn't show up, but attempting to downgrade you, even though the car you had reserved (and a better car) was unavailable is just unacceptable.

Never had an experience like that. Had one involuntary downgrades, but they were both because they just didn't have anything better on the lot, and I wasn't willing to wait around to see if it arrived. Got a $50 cert as compensation.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
So, you had an FCAR booked, they had FCARs on the lot, but they wouldn't give you one? That's absurd. If for some reason, they had three FCAR reservations and only two FCARs, then I could understand either (a) giving you the Maxima since you were there first (with the other two folks getting the Sonatas) or (b) giving you a Sonata and hoping one of the other FCAR people didn't show up, but attempting to downgrade you, even though the car you had reserved (and a better car) was unavailable is just unacceptable.

Never had an experience like that. Had one involuntary downgrades, but they were both because they just didn't have anything better on the lot, and I wasn't willing to wait around to see if it arrived. Got a $50 cert as compensation.
Yup, exactly! There were two the two Sonatas and the Maxima, with them claiming no Full size was available. There were no other Gold Rewards keys in the stand, so assuming the Sonatas weren't even getting picked up that day.

What's the policy here? Just downgrade and adjust the rate or are there the compensation vouchers as well.

I know the different branches can try to maximize revenues in all possible ways. But I'm shocked that corporate customer service didn't assist in any way.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
You were right to insist on getting a better car rather than settle. How they deliver it on a prepaid contract should be their problem.

As for cars sitting on the lot - that doesn't mean they are "rentable": they might be due for an oil change, have a malfunction, or ready to be loaded on a truck and relocated. In all of those cases there would be a block in the data base to rent them out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.