Search

Free rental day requires 3 days?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Free rental day requires 3 days?

Hello!

I have small amount of reward point that I'm planning to transfer to Hertz Gold points this month, resulting in 1000 Gold Reward Points with Hertz on my account. I was hoping to use them for one-day rental in Salerno, Italy. Before transfer I did my research on Hertz website, but I'm getting only "Call to Book" buttons next to the vehicles. OK, not a big deal, I'll call to inquire then. First of the bat, agent informed me that she can't check availability since my account (at the moment) has no points. Then she found the way, but then informed me that points can be used only on lowest prepaid rate, and that lowest prepaid rate has 3-day minimum requirement, so I would need to book 3-days.

So in essence, I can't book one day rental with points??? Is this normal with Hertz points?

I searched through T&C, and did not see any limitations in terms of "lowest rate" or "number of days" or anything even remotely similar. Am I missing something?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:36 am

I don't know about the personal account, but for business accounts the Free Rental Day is only valid in US, Canada, and Puerto Rico.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It does not sound normal at all - single days can be booked with points
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

I'm getting different answer with each call...

now they can't check availability at all, since my account has no points (yet).

Is there any way to go around this?

I'm also surprised that when I log in, I see "Call to Book". If I don't log in I see prices in euro. If I go into different browser and got to hertz.it website, I get much lower prices... Why so many different price-points?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You need to have the points, log in to your account and make the booking. If there is availability for a points booking, it will be made.

There is no minimum booking period requirement for points bookings

Dave
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Just to followup on this ancient question - I did ended up booking. Once the points posted, I checked on website - it still showed "please call" for all vehicles, no prices nor points listed. I have called and booked one day rental for standard points amount - no issues, no gotchas, and no 3-day "requirement" that first agent mentioned.

Those 900 points just saved me 150 euros, amazing value in my book.

^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.