Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One way fee refund

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by Fitch
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I have a very similar question.

My Hertz rental is one way from LAX to SFO, on a Pay at Location basis.

My online confirmation does not show any amount for one-way fees, but does have the following statement:

One-way rental confirmed. We acknowledge that you intend to pick the vehicle up at one Hertz location, and return it to a different Hertz location. Any costs applicable to this are listed under Drop Fee in your reservation details, and are payable at the location

So I called Hertz CS to ask them where I find "Drop Fee $0" or something similar actually written down so that I can take it with me to wave under the agent's nose at pick-up / drop-off (many years of renting cars has made me cynical in the extreme )

According to CS:

(a) the rental cost ($250 for a full-size for a week) includes the Drop Fee, which if true I think is a fantastic bargain

(b) "If it's not listed on the reservation, then we don't charge it" :O

Personally, I expect a Hertz person at one end of my journey or the other to suddenly produce a bill for several hundred dollars, but we shall see...
I've done a few one ways with Hertz where no additional drop fee over and above the weekly rate was charged. This is not uncommon at all for Hertz. I'm not at all surprised that LAX-SFO has no large tacked on drop fee. They have in general liked California-registered cars to stay in California, but I took a one-way SFO-PDX and had a similar rate without drop fee.

Over the years it has been most common for Hertz to price the one-way into the rate, with the possible exception of more extreme distances than something like LAX-SFO. And, it is in fact disclosed in the confirmation total in the instances when a drop fee applies.

Personally I'd be pretty confident that the rate and what the phone agent told you is correct. And yes you would have to make sure of liability insurance as guv said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.