Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can one use Hertz points for someone else ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond

I tried to use Hertz points for the first time and found the experience to be very frustrating.

In addition to numerous blackout dates, I am being told that the points can only be used to book a car for the member itself, not for, say, his relative.

Is this really the case ? Very bad policy, if true.

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
It may be very difficult if not impossible. It's easy to use hotel points for someone else, because there's no risk of that other person taking that hotel room and leaving the country or something like that. They could trash the room, the that's what the credit card deposit is for and, in the end, the room will still remain in it's original location.....i.e. still attached to the hotel. Cars are another story, in as that they are mobile property and therefore most rental car companies don't let their members book them with points for another person. That's just the way it is.

randidliyo
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I think it's an excellent policy. You earn the points, you use them. That's what the program is designed for. Loyalty.

There is no possible way of having another person use your points for a Hertz car rental unless you want to add them as an extra driver on a vehicle that YOU personally rent.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:26 pm

Hertz points CAN be transferred to a spouse or domestic partner so that (s)he can use them. See https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...p#Transferring
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, LH SEN, TB Emerald
Originally Posted by themicah
Hertz points CAN be transferred to a spouse or domestic partner so that (s)he can use them. See https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...p#Transferring
That's correct. I transfered points form my wifes to my account yesterday.

It was done by an email with both rewardsnumbers, the amount of points to transfer and was done in about 6 hours (europe).

^
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL DIAMOND, AA/US TBD
I booked a free rental day using points under my name, but gave the reservation number to my dad. He picked up the car no problem at a local edition Hertz.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by saturnsk
I booked a free rental day using points under my name, but gave the reservation number to my dad. He picked up the car no problem at a local edition Hertz.
I'm assuming he is not listed as a driver? You better hope he doesn't get into an accident or stopped by the police. That's a big no-no. You will likely get blacklisted from ever renting again on top of being liable for everything that happens with the vehicle.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:38 am

I think it's possible to get the name changed on a reservation at the counter.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage ExecPlat, Former DL Skymiles Diamond (MM), Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by saturnsk
They've done this for me as well many times. Usually they just change the name at the rental counter. However, when I tried this at MCO (airport) they couldn't be bothered. Failed rental.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

couldn't be bothered or was it that they were just following correct procedure?
Old May 10, 2021, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by CalItalian
I think it's an excellent policy. You earn the points, you use them. That's what the program is designed for. Loyalty.

There is no possible way of having another person use your points for a Hertz car rental unless you want to add them as an extra driver on a vehicle that YOU personally rent.
You just don't get it... It's not "another person use your points", it's "I use my points for another person".
Old May 11, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by xela
You just don't get it... It's not "another person use your points", it's "I use my points for another person".
You tell them! Hope 2018 is listening...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.