Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any recent experiences with Cancun (CUN)?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Car Rental in Cancun

Is there anything special I should be aware of when renting a car in Cancun?
Old Nov 20, 2003, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
Is there a specific reason that you are thinking about getting a car?

I ask because you may not need one. When we go, we don't rent one. The bus runs up and down the hotel zone every few minutes and is dirt cheap. Taxis for short distances are cheap too - ask how much to get to .... before you get in. If you are staying outside of the hotel zone you might consider a shuttle to get to the hotel and once there your hotel might have shuttles back to the city.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 11:54 am
Original Poster

We're staying at the Mayan Palace which is in the Maya Riveria section. The hotel shuttle is $25 RT per person from the airport to the hotel and the hotel shuttle is $10 per person from the hotel to Cancun. We'd like to do some sightseeing on our own so I thought a car would be much much economical than paying for shuttles, taxis, and tour operators.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
My apologies in advance if these are things you know or do...just had some thoughts come to mind:

I, for one, always take the insurance on international rentals...even if my credit card covers it. In my opinion (and from my experience), paying $10-20/day to "walk away" from car damage is far preferable to dealing with the situation through my insurance or credit card. I don't like forking out the dough when I know I could get the coverage for free, but a few previous incidents have proven to me that it's worth it.

Other comments:

The signage is fine if you're headed South -- IMO, it only gets confusing and stressful if you're trying to navigate your way through Cancun to points West (particularly at night.)

It's customary to give gas station attendants a small gratuity.

There is not a gas station on-airport.

Avis was a lot cheaper when I priced cars for my last trip.

If you're feeling a little adventurous, take a drive to Uxmal. It's really impressive, and is 90% less touristy than Tulum. Chichen Itza is nice too, and falls somewhere in between on the tourist-meter.

Also, lunch in Valladolid can be fun and feels far away from the tourist mania of the coast.

[This message has been edited by snorkmaster (edited Nov 24, 2003).]
Old Apr 4, 2005, 5:19 pm

Hertz in Mexico?

Anyone ever use Hertz in Cancun? We have a rental reserved for August and wanted to know if anyone has any good or bad comments. Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:47 am

Cancun

Originally Posted by anne1125
Anyone ever use Hertz in Cancun? We have a rental reserved for August and wanted to know if anyone has any good or bad comments. Thanks.
How did you reserve your car? I'm going to CUN in May and want to rent a car...will definitely go with an international agency; probably Hertz as that's where I do most of my business renting.

Will let you know how it was if you'll let me know how you reserved, etc.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by John Galt
How did you reserve your car? I'm going to CUN in May and want to rent a car...will definitely go with an international agency; probably Hertz as that's where I do most of my business renting.

Will let you know how it was if you'll let me know how you reserved, etc.
You can reserve it on www.hertz.com

Is it not working for you?
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:09 am

Never pay rack rate!

Originally Posted by Tummy
You can reserve it on www.hertz.com

Is it not working for you?
I assumed you'd get a better deal somewhere OTHER THAN their website...true?
Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, Priority Club Plat, Marriott, SPG, Htz Gold
Any advice for Cancun rentals?

Anyone have any suggestions for renting a car in Cancun? Rented a car in Cozumel last spring and it was quite an adventure. Any advice appreciated.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 5:13 pm

Check internet pricing on major travel sites. Almost always cheaper than renting there. Get insurance; otherwise if you get in an accident you will have more trouble than you need.

DO NOT DRIVE IN THE HOTEL ZONE if avoidable. Too much traffic; too little parking. Driving south along the Tulum Highway or inland is fine. Tourists are often advised not to travel after dark although coming back from Xcaret in the evening around 9 pm was not an issue for us as the highway was still fairly crowded.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA plat CO gold
Hertz experience in Cancun?

Looking for rent a car there? Any recommendation?
Old Nov 4, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
slightly OT since it sounds like you made up your mind already to rent from Hertz, but I wouldn't rent from Dollar out there!

I did, and it was the only place I used my CC on the whole trip, when I returned home I found that someone had a rather expensive shopping trip....
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
I had a pretty bad experience with Hertz, but it had a happy ending as Hertz Corporate refunded me the money that the Cancun location screwed me out of (and, in fact, I will rent from this location again next month due to this fact).

Things to look out for though (besides the usual advice in Mexico like making sure you inspect the car well):
- They attempted to charge me a ridiculous exchange rate when calculating the cost. It was at least 33% inflated, causing my rental fee to be 33% inflated.
- They told me they did not take Diners Club which I had planned to use for the CDW coverage. The website explicitly states that they do take the card. Being frazzled I ended up laying out the money (doh!) for the CDW.
- It took over an hour to get our rental car ... so be prepared to wait.

Otherwise, the location is walkable right outside of the airport.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I was going to post a similar query --

From my understanding, I can't earn ZE1 points, my 5* status, Gold Service etc won't have any impact in Mexico (please correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, is there any reason to rent with Hertz when in Cancun early next year. Thrifty's prices are significantly better ($200/week for a Jeep) so despite my aversion to all non-Hertz rentals I don't see a strong reason to go with Hertz. A potential upgrade or better service might be enough... any advice?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
I did receive an "upgrade" to a Dodge Stratus that smelled like someone had urinated in it.

Seriously though, I received no special treatment for my 5* status at the time -- don't even think they knew what it was. I also had to fill out all kinds of paperwork, which would not have happened in the states.

I get a good corporate discount with Hertz and trust that the company will make me whole. If there were a better deal with Thrifty I'd probably take it, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.