Search

Random $50 Charge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Random $50 Charge

Long story short, I had a rental this week that was prepaid through Priceline Name Your Own Price. I dropped the car off before it was due back (it was due at 5:30, it was close to 5:15) and went to the terminal. Like every time I've rented from Hertz at MKE there hasn't been anyone there to check the car in, and there were about 6-8 people who had just dropped cars as well, and two more pulling in. Fair enough, wrote everything down and put it into the envelope drop. This morning I woke up to an email from Amex that there was a card not present charge for $50. It appears that Hertz' customer service is closed on the weekends, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what this random bill is for?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Long story short, I had a rental this week that was prepaid through Priceline Name Your Own Price. I dropped the car off before it was due back (it was due at 5:30, it was close to 5:15) and went to the terminal. Like every time I've rented from Hertz at MKE there hasn't been anyone there to check the car in, and there were about 6-8 people who had just dropped cars as well, and two more pulling in. Fair enough, wrote everything down and put it into the envelope drop. This morning I woke up to an email from Amex that there was a card not present charge for $50. It appears that Hertz' customer service is closed on the weekends, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what this random bill is for?
Did you fill the tank?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sosafan
Did you fill the tank?
Yes. I still have the receipt and the gauge said "F."
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Check the website - is there a receipt for anything? You can search by either drivers license or credit card, so even though it was Priceline it might still show something...

How close were you to the end of the 24 hour period on return? Wouldn't be the first time I've had them check a car in several hours after I've actually returned it which could have pushed you over to an extra day.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The website doesn't work for searching because it has been too soon for the rental. I called customer service and the car was scanned in just before 6 PM (which was barely within their 29 minute grace period), and the rental wasn't "cleared" until the following day. So their system automatically put another hold on the card. I flagged it with Amex, and we'll see how long it takes to drop off.

I'm pretty much through with Hertz, every rental with them has been a hassle, and just not worth the effort to save a few bucks.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:43 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by WIRunner
The website doesn't work for searching because it has been too soon for the rental. I called customer service and the car was scanned in just before 6 PM (which was barely within their 29 minute grace period), and the rental wasn't "cleared" until the following day. So their system automatically put another hold on the card. I flagged it with Amex, and we'll see how long it takes to drop off.

I'm pretty much through with Hertz, every rental with them has been a hassle, and just not worth the effort to save a few bucks.
The level of customer service has deteriorated to the point where the phrase is an oxymoron. Check Yelp.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
The level of customer service has deteriorated to the point where the phrase is an oxymoron. Check Yelp.
Check yelp? When you have a great experience with a car rental company, how likely are you to go to yelp and give them a positive review? I'm guessing highly unlikely, as that is the case for most people. But what about if you have a terrible experience? I think the opposite is true. People are much more likely to rate poor service on yelp than they are good service, especially when it comes to services such as dry cleaners, car rental companies, etc.

Edit: i should have read the other threads to see all your posts before i replied. waste of my time!

Last edited by zhutch; Dec 12, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.