Search

Hertz Rental through United.com

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Silver, Hilton - Silver
Hertz Rental through United.com

Hi,

I want to rent a car with Hertz through United.com but it's unclear to me what insurances are included in the rate.

United states I have to contact Hertz for details on what's included in the price. My foreign IP address redirects me to Hertz.be, so there is no way for me to contact Hertz USA. Unfortunately the people of Hertz Belgium have no clue what I'm talking about and they send me back to United for more information

Does anyone here knows from a previous experience what insurances are included if I book a car in the US through United.com? Just to avoid the multi dollar surprise at the check in counter
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
All insurances are extra in the U.S. The insurance charges can add up to the base price of the car (or more).

If you have an auto, check with your insurer to see if they provide coverage on a rental car in a foreign country.

see if this works:

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...dRegion=United States
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
also, check your credit card...

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
All insurances are extra in the U.S. The insurance charges can add up to the base price of the car (or more).

If you have an auto, check with your insurer to see if they provide coverage on a rental car in a foreign country.
Not sure if this would work for you from overseas, but many (US, at least) credit cards provide the necessary coverage to opt out of insurance coverage via the rental company.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:46 am

If you are on a US site for a US rental it most likely does not include any insurance coverage.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by Leenco
Hi,

I want to rent a car with Hertz through United.com but it's unclear to me what insurances are included in the rate.

United states I have to contact Hertz for details on what's included in the price. My foreign IP address redirects me to Hertz.be, so there is no way for me to contact Hertz USA. Unfortunately the people of Hertz Belgium have no clue what I'm talking about and they send me back to United for more information

Does anyone here knows from a previous experience what insurances are included if I book a car in the US through United.com? Just to avoid the multi dollar surprise at the check in counter
When booking cars in the U.S., insurance is typically not included, but is offered as an option. But if you have insurance for your own car, you generally don't need it for a rental.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm on the United.com website and I suspected the insurance is not included. Hertz Belgium says that insurance 'should be' always included with Hertz, no matter what country, but I can't believe that (def.since they didn't sound sure about that...)

And no , being from overseas I don't have a credit card or something that will cover the insurance. Things like that are simply not available in Europe. We don't have a big credit card culture here, the majority of people doesn't even own one. I'm the exeption because I travel to the states at least twice a year

Thx for the feedback so far. I'm gonna google and try to find out how much those insurances will be. Like I said, I cannot contact Hertz USA since my computer always redirects me to Belgium with my Belgian IP address (and Im not clever enough to bypass that )
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Too bad I'm from Europe and our car insurances only cover the licence plate on our own car, so we always have to buy the insurance with the rental car
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Some people have reported that rentals booked from the UK on Hertz.com (specifying that you are currently in the UK when making the rental) that the rates included all insurance.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The key thing to do is to use your home country's site as it's optimized for the sort of coverage you need. So, for example, the UK site includes all insurances and taxes necessary for a UK-based driver, and I should imagine the Belgian site does the same for Belgian drivers. Using the US site would cost a fortune if you then pay for the insurances separately. Indeed, often the prices on the UK site including insurance are lower than on the US site excluding insurance.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The key thing to do is to use your home country's site as it's optimized for the sort of coverage you need. So, for example, the UK site includes all insurances and taxes necessary for a UK-based driver, and I should imagine the Belgian site does the same for Belgian drivers. Using the US site would cost a fortune if you then pay for the insurances separately. Indeed, often the prices on the UK site including insurance are lower than on the US site excluding insurance.
This is the correct advice. Ignore everybody else in the thread. If you book through united.com you'll probably be getting a US rate, which will only include the minimum insurance required by the state where you pickup the rental (which is usually woefully inadequate).

If you're coming from Europe (where, as you said, your car insurance only covers your own car), you want to rent using your home country's site, as it will generally include LDW (covering damage to the car itself) and SLI/LIS (covering damage you do to third parties in an accident) in the rates it returns. If you do rent with a US rate, make sure you add LDW and SLI/LIS (SLI and LIS are the same thing--just sometimes referred to as one and sometimes as the other).

Note that while many US credit cards include CDW/LDW coverage (which will pay for damages to the car itself), they do NOT include third party liability coverage, so if you're in an accident where you cause damage to a third party (another car, another driver, a pedestrian, a house, whatever), your credit card coverage will NOT help you. And I have no idea if Belgian credit cards cover rental cars or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.