Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Recent Experiences Renting from Hertz at San Juan (SJU) Puerto Rico?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Plat UAL 1MM Hertz 5* Hyatt Diamond NAT Exec Elite AA EXP

Just back from San Juan. I reserved a car prior to leaving under my GOLD Account, and received my confirmation just fine. No neverlost available, but no big deal. Upon arrival at the airport, I sccoted out and onto the Hertz bus. The driver took my name (although he didn't have the hand held gizmo) and off we went. Upon arrival at the rental location, i found that they didnt have Gold service, but no big deal there, either. I walked in the building and stood in the Gold line for 30 mintues. When it was clear that no one would show up to service the Gold members (the regular line had been advancing fine), I changed lines. Another 15 minutes in line, but I'm still OK.

Finally, it's my turn. I gave the attendant my name and CC and he proceeded to tell me that there were NO cars and that I would have to wait for at least 90 minutes! Bear in mind it is now 11PM. He suggested that if I were unwilling to wait that I should take the bus back to the airport and get a cab. Bewildered, I called the 800 line and got a very nice CSR that could not reach anyone there. In her words "I don't know what is going on there, no one answers the phone" LOL. The good news is that I walked next door to National and got a car in 5 minutes using my Exec Emerald Privleges.

I kept the Phone rep on the line while I rented the National Car and cancelled the remaining Hertz reservations for the month, moving them to National. The manager that came to the phone was not particularly helpful either, she seemed as if she could care less. When I returned, I learned that an office mate had an equally poor experience at SFO. Maybe it's time to move...

Last edited by safetymom; Mar 14, 2007 at 4:52 pm
Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Using the word "disaster" and an airport code on an airline FF forum isn't exactly the most prudent course of action.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The situation where they are out of cars could happen anywhere. The problem is that you should have been notified before you set foot on the Hertz bus at the airport.

The first and easy observation is that the entire car rental industry is a customer service train wreck. Hertz is probably the best of the pack - they earn a C- or a D+ grade in my book. Everybody else gets an F. But the second and more subtle observation - specifically related to oversells - is that cars are unlike hotels and airlines in that we can make whatever reservations we like and then no-show them with no penalties. So I can't blame them for overselling.

My problem is the fact that every place I've seen an oversell situation, they act like it's the first time it's ever happened and they have absolutely zero clue how to handle it. It goes back to completely broken customer service processes. If Hertz SJU is out of cars, they should have somebody at the airport, greeting renters as they approach the bus, explaining their options. A cab ride, an alternate agency's car, whatever. It's like these agencies have no "playbook" for how to take care of their best customers when an oversell happens. The people who work at my local freakin' Dairy Queen are smarter on-their-feet problem solvers than the people that work at some of these agencies...
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by pinniped
The problem is that you should have been notified before you set foot on the Hertz bus at the airport.

an alternate agency's car
Strange. One of the first reasons I switched to Hertz (Now there are many), was because I was in Texas and there was an oversold situation and Hertz was just returning to the lot with a car they had "borrowed" from Avis, the only other show in town. Oh and it was an upgrade.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Using the word "disaster" and an airport code on an airline FF forum isn't exactly the most prudent course of action.
Common sense would dictate that since this is posted in the Hertz forum, it relates to a bad experience a Hertz renter had at SJU. I see no problem with the title of the thread.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:27 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club, Priority Club
They do have gold service at SJU. When I rented there, the bus driver took my name and dropped me off right at my car. Rental agreement was in it, all I had to do is show my license to the guard.

Szymon
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by szymon
They do have gold service at SJU. When I rented there, the bus driver took my name and dropped me off right at my car. Rental agreement was in it, all I had to do is show my license to the guard.

Szymon
Same experience here. It was a slow weekend when we were there, but they do have gold service. It's possible there was no gold service that evening because there just were no cars.

I do think that if there's an oversold situation, gold members should get priority and if nobody's staffing the gold line, that's pretty difficult.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
It was pretty bad. I got in at 10 pm. They had at least 50 or so people waiting on cars. I talked with mngr and he had the car dropped off at the hotel at about 2 am. Everything is SJU was bad, spring break, hotels were full, ES had a 20- 30 minute line for drinks at night. I think the key at hertz was to see the problem and come up with a better answer. When I asked about haveing the car dropped off the mngr was glad, about 10 others did it and he had the shuttle bus take us to the hotels. If I had sat their waiting I would have gone crazy.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:21 pm

Programs: Hertz
So you move all of your business to National because Hertz doesn't have a car for you one time? Nice. Because National would never run out of cars. Right.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Dragging up an old thread. In San Juan now. Arrived more than 26 hours ago. Told no cars at SJU despite having made res 4 months ago and being Presidents Circle. Bussed to Sheraton old San Juan. Told they'd drive car to me next day by 6 AM. It's been 26 hours now and no word from anyone despite numerous calls both to SJU hertz office and corporate. No one can reach anyone directly at SJU - not me or corporate. Hertz location at hotel has no cars either so is if no help. Using hertz business rewards certs so just getting another car not ideal. Plus really thought I'd have a car from hertz by now! Been getting the run around left and right with ZERO help and broken "return your call ASAP" promises along the way. Unsure what to do next beyond scrap hertz altogether and send them my bill... Putting a big damper on initial vacaction plans. Sorry for shorthand but typing on mobile...
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Well for what it's worth, 4 days later and no car, no contact to me from anyone despite repeated attempts to contact SJU, and probably 10 different calls with corporate, and no resolution. I'm sort of flabbergasted that this is Hertz. Not really even sure what to say or do. The epic lack of customer care and assistance here is astounding.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
SJU is probably the weakest Hertz station I've been to, though I've never been to IAD (heard bad things about them in the past as well). That being said, I've had negative experience with Avis, National, and Hertz in SJU, so I'm thinking it's more of an island problem than anything (although National's made some major strides in the last few months, moving into the consolidated RCC first).

I'd probably recommend National there, but I agree that business certs make it tough. Did time allow for you to make the trek back to the airport? That's likely what I would have done and insisted on getting an explanation for the lack of car - otherwise, out of sight is all too easily out of mind.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 1:39 pm

I thought about heading to the airport several times, but from what I gathered it could be a trip in vain and/or I could end up being there for hours waiting for and demanding a car. Not how I wanted to spend one of my days there. After 2 days, I got lucky and rented from a downtown Avis for 3 days. All in, including taxi to get the car from the location, came to $300. At least we had that for our last 3 days there, while the hertz era remained open - to the point where we got to the airport today. Not one call ever.

Now, I had a long chat with the hertz employee at the sheraton old San Juan where I was staying. Two things: he showed me the computer and list of reservations being fulfilled. Many, though not everyone, was getting cars on the day after and next, when presumably the first cars that came in should have been delivered to those waiting for them. The office was just clearly and blatantly disregarding us.

Second, one of the employees said she texted the manager for us and his basic response was just "no cars". BS, per the above. And clearly he was able to respond to her, but not to the numerous emails and voicemails that corporate said they left for both him as well as the area general manager, and of course no one ever picked up on any of the 50 or so attempts I made.

I'm intending to send all of my receipts to customer relations asking that they pay for all of that as well as offer some form of size able points or similar compensation for the aggravation. Hertz really dropped the ball here. About as bad business practices as I can imagine.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes definitely send Hertz the bill and ask them to reimburse you since you had a confirmed res and did not get a car and were totally ignored.

What it comes down to is, the employees and management at the SJU station don't give a crap.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:19 am

Since I will be renting in SJU in 2 months: is one of the other rental car companies there significantly better than Hertz?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.