Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tinted Windows on Rental?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My guess is that law enforcement would find a rental vehicle with tinted windows very interesting.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dayone
My guess is that law enforcement would find a rental vehicle with tinted windows very interesting.
It's almost probable cause by itself.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I have chatted up the staff at LGA a few times and it’s a weekly occorance for them to receive a vehicle back with window tint. They have frequent weekend renters that return the vehicles with tinted window every time. I’ve never seen an aftermarket tinted vehicle on the rental lot, but have behind the building and they said they remove it before putting them back on the lot.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
This thread was a real eye-opener for me. Tinting a rental car on your own dime...wow.
I had multi month hertz rentals for over ten years. Some cars if I really liked would keep for up to 11 months. (multi-month limit)

Only out of pocket expense i had was fuel and the insurance policy i would keep on the cars.

They would tell me where to take for maintenance (jiffy lube, etc)

If I didnt like a car I would take to airport and say it had maintenance issue and they would swap me out. (Always rented from HLE to save the taxes and fees)
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by bhunt
I had multi month hertz rentals for over ten years. Some cars if I really liked would keep for up to 11 months. (multi-month limit)

Only out of pocket expense i had was fuel and the insurance policy i would keep on the cars.

They would tell me where to take for maintenance (jiffy lube, etc)

If I didnt like a car I would take to airport and say it had maintenance issue and they would swap me out. (Always rented from HLE to save the taxes and fees)
Where do you live that made this make financial sense?
jackal likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by m907
Where do you live that made this make financial sense?
Pretty much anywhere if you don't drive a ton and are content driving whatever cars the agency with which you have the best corporate rates has.

I did it for a year when I lived in downtown Denver, although my strategy was more about mixing cheap weekend days, cheap weeklies, and making sure I didn't have *any* car when I didn't need one. Mostly Alamo thanks to common $10/day weekend deals, but no real allegiance to any of the downtown agencies. This predated all of the rental car points programs, although earning airline miles on rentals was a decent game at the time.

If I were in the right situation today, I'd probably go with a mix of Uber/Lyft and weekend rentals. The key would be a short weekday commute. Also interested in how the dockless bikes proliferate, as that could greatly expand the number of endpoints to which I'd be willing to use a light rail system.

Oh, and I came back to this thread for a different reason entirely:

On Thursday night, the first night of a 4 night Marriott stay, my wife and I actually discussed what it would cost to buy a queen-sized mattress and have it delivered to our hotel room. More of an academic exercise, since this isn't something UberEATS delivers at 2AM. But much like people actually tint rental car windows, I can see where someone on a 2-week stay would be willing to add $300-400 to their total stay cost and then just leave a new mattress behind as a gift to the hotel.

I'm pretty sure we slept on the worst mattress ever. It wasn't an entirely irrational discussion.
m907 likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 4, 2018 at 9:02 am Reason: consecutive posts merged

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.