Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Warning - Hertz PlatePass cannot be used for Express Lanes in Florida. http://floridaexpresslanes.com/

Interoperability With Other Transponders - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunPass#Interoperability
Print Wikipost

Hertz PlatePass (Florida SunPass) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by m907
Did you get a citation from Hertz? What state was the car's license plate from?
My rental is not over yet and I haven't received citation so far.
Car's license plate is from florida.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by koopa
My rental is not over yet and I haven't received citation so far.
Car's license plate is from florida.
You will not get a citation. The toll will be paid through PlatePass. Nothing to worry about.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by bacchus85
You will not get a citation. The toll will be paid through PlatePass. Nothing to worry about.
I didn't think platepass worked in express lanes?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
interesting device! I assume it would work fine with the mini-sunpass?

Sadly live in the UK, so getting such a device plus the NC Quickpass is not so easy unless I visit a store etc.

However had enough of keep paying Hertz!!
That website (JL Safety) has a bunch of other holders for different toll passes.

NC QuickPass can be ordered online. You don't have to live there though you probably need a U.S. mailing address. It's best to get the larger HOV-compatible one so you can use it in HOV lanes in Virginia.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:42 am

I didn't think platepass worked in express lanes?
You know what? You're absolutely right. I totally misread the part about the Express Lanes. "I-75 Sarasota" must have confused me. Sorry, my bad.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by bacchus85
You know what? You're absolutely right. I totally misread the part about the Express Lanes. "I-75 Sarasota" must have confused me. Sorry, my bad.
So you mean I might receive a citation for using the express lane, but not one for entering the I-75 on the Sunpass reserved lane ?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by koopa
So you mean I might receive a citation for using the express lane, but not one for entering the I-75 on the Sunpass reserved lane ?
Yes, that is my understanding. Sunpass lanes are fine as they read the plates if the sunpass fails. Whereas I think on express lanes it says no toll by plate.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Which is the best transponder to get for Florida, Georgia etc.

We had a stick on one from Florida which proved useless, with most tolls not being read. In the end sunpass refunded me the charges that they had billed to Hertz and it was all sorted.

So now on my next trip to the USA (December) I will be looking at getting a more long term one with the suction cups. However we start off in Georgia at ATL and drive to Florida. I think there are only express lanes on our route, so maybe we do not need the Georgia one (I do not think you can use Platepass in Express lanes anyway).

So my question is - am I best waiting until I get to Florida and buying a proper transponder, and skipping the express lanes? Unless the Georgia one is so much better.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 24, 2019 at 5:36 am Reason: moved from E-Z Pass thread; more topical here (FL and GA are not E-Z Pass States)
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:16 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Options would be North Carolina or Georgia's transponders. I think NC's has greater interoperability.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE

We had a stick on one from Florida which proved useless, with most tolls not being read. In the end sunpass refunded me the charges that they had billed to Hertz and it was all sorted.

So now on my next trip to the USA (December) I will be looking at getting a more long term one with the suction cups. However we start off in Georgia at ATL and drive to Florida. I think there are only express lanes on our route, so maybe we do not need the Georgia one (I do not think you can use Platepass in Express lanes anyway).

So my question is - am I best waiting until I get to Florida and buying a proper transponder, and skipping the express lanes? Unless the Georgia one is so much better.
Where in Florida are you going to visit? If you are coming down 75 or 95, you won't really hit a toll rode until you get midway down the state (ie Ocala/Orlando/Cocoa Beach). There are a few toll roads around Tampa as well.

You can usually buy the cheap Sunpass RFID sticker at the FL Welcome Center along either interstate once you cross into FL from GA. Another option is to download the Supass app and add the rental vehicles license plate, thus you will not need a Sunpass sticker for your window. Alternatively, many Publix grocery stores and possibly Walgreens or CVS sell them as well.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:26 pm

NC QuickPass is by far the best. It works in GA, FL, and all 15 EZPass states.

https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-t...ss-rental-cars
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
Where in Florida are you going to visit? If you are coming down 75 or 95, you won't really hit a toll rode until you get midway down the state (ie Ocala/Orlando/Cocoa Beach). There are a few toll roads around Tampa as well.

You can usually buy the cheap Sunpass RFID sticker at the FL Welcome Center along either interstate once you cross into FL from GA. Another option is to download the Supass app and add the rental vehicles license plate, thus you will not need a Sunpass sticker for your window. Alternatively, many Publix grocery stores and possibly Walgreens or CVS sell them as well.
Driving down to Fort Lauderdale from Atlanta.

I had a sticker and despite my licence plate being registered they still tried to charge plate pass - it was useless.

Hence why I want a suction one for this trip in December and my trip in February.

Can only pick one up when in the USA - so NC is out of the equation as will not be going there.

Maybe the welcome centre will sell the suction one and assist putting it on the car - as clearly we did something wrong with the sticker - it worked a couple of times we think. Thankfully we did not drive in any express lanes - that would worry us without a working transponder.

Originally Posted by m907
NC QuickPass is by far the best. It works in GA, FL, and all 15 EZPass states.

https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-t...ss-rental-cars
Not living in the US , that is not an option sadly. Also not sure I can get their app - they all block overseas people. I managed to find a sunpass app to install from a third party site.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 15, 2019 at 10:38 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:58 pm

Driving down to Fort Lauderdale from Atlanta.

I had a sticker and despite my licence plate being registered they still tried to charge plate pass - it was useless.

Hence why I want a suction one for this trip in December and my trip in February.

Can only pick one up when in the USA - so NC is out of the equation as will not be going there.

Maybe the welcome centre will sell the suction one and assist putting it on the car - as clearly we did something wrong with the sticker - it worked a couple of times we think. Thankfully we did not drive in any express lanes - that would worry us without a working transponder.
You could in theory avoid all the tolls on your way to FLL, depending where in FLL you are going.

Jacksonville to FLL on I-95 is not tolled.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:24 am

Charged by Platepass instead of by Sunpass

On two recent trips back from Orlando via the 417 toll road, I've been charged by Platepass ($1.00 toll + admin fee) but the second and third tolls are charged to my Sunpass account via the app. I've always added the license plate to my Sunpass account before pulling out of the rental car garage. Any idea why all three tolls are being processed by Sunpass account and skipping Platepass?

I called Sunpass and they blamed the rental company. Knowing how Hertz has changed recently, it kind of feels like they are trying to maximize revenue and hope the average consumer doesn't notice.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:37 am

I have a reservation for 15 days in November in Florida, taking advantage of the thread, could someone explain to me how the Platepass works with Hertz? Is it paid for every day, whether it is used or not, or only the days that it passes through tolls? Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.