Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluetooth in fleet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Bluetooth in fleet

Can anyone remember off the top of their head what cars come with full bluetooth? I was given a chevy cruze today with bluetooth but it's only good for making calls and I can't stream my audio.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Viperlx
Can anyone remember off the top of their head what cars come with full bluetooth? I was given a chevy cruze today with bluetooth but it's only good for making calls and I can't stream my audio.
For the Cruze specifically, it depends on the model. If it's got "MyLink" which (from what I've seen) all of the LTZ and some of the LT models have then you're good. Some of the non-MyLink models have the upgraded radio that supports BT Audio, others don't.

Personally I just carry a 3.5mm cable...
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
At the last count, Hertz has something like 100 different models on fleet... nad quite a few of these they have in several different trim levels. Unfortunately, given that in many cases you will find Bluetooth is standard on some trims and not others, and even where it is not standard, it may be that Hertz included it in some option package on the car, all of which makes answering your perfectly reasonable question mission completely impossible.

I fear the only solution is going to be check against an individual car when it is allocated to you, and if it does not, then it's quite legit to go back and request a different model (though not perhaps if you have only booked a Group B car - generally the costlier the car the more likely it is to have what you are seeking, of course).
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:00 pm

In my experience BT is very rare below full size.

A gem is the new Corolla (identified by me by the chrome trim on the rear end) where I've been batting 1.000 with BT. On the older Corolla the BT option is in the stereo menu but if you try to select it out says not found.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:01 pm

... or you can rent from National where BT has been the rule, not the exception for me.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: BMI Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Yes, same experience here.

Originally Posted by YYZC2
... or you can rent from National where BT has been the rule, not the exception for me.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Picked up my first National car without bluetooth, 2014 Dodge Journey.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
I recently had all these cars with BT: Subaru Legacy, Toyota Corolla, Mazda CX-5.

With my device (the antique Treo Pro) I have also found the phone sets up easier than the audio. I discovered in BT settings an option to "set as wireless stereo". But I have to connect the phone first, then "set as wireless stereo".

Based on my experience and informal discussions with others when the problem is that the phone works but the audio doesn't I am inclined to suspect the issue lies in the handheld device's BT rather than in the vehicle.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Oct 13, 2013 at 2:51 am Reason: edited for clarification (with italics)
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Rut Dog
I recently had all these cars with BT: Subaru Legacy, Toyota Corolla, Mazda CX-5.

With my device (the antique Treo Pro) I have also found the phone sets up easier than the audio. I discovered in BT settings an option to "set as wireless stereo". But I have to connect the phone first, then "set as wireless stereo".

Based on my experience and informal discussions with others I am inclined to suspect most issues lie in the handheld device's BT rather than in the vehicle.
I have to disagree with you on that one, Dog. Sometimes the car IS the problem. Some Mazdas and Mitsubishis will only let you setup the BT via voice commands, which I HATE. The menus are not always intuitive and there are sometimes separate pairing processes for phone and media functionality. If I am connecting my cellphone to the car, what do you think I want to use for audio entertainment? A Mariachi band?!?

On the Mitsubishi RVR I gave up completely and just dug out my 3.5mm cable.

Personally I think Sync is the most well thought out device connection system, especially if you have an Apple device. The Chrysler system is also good. The Toyota system is spartan but dead simple, and the Mitsubishi design team should be shot.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I've had a few Fords from Hertz with BT but the most horrible Microsoft system. It's relatively easy to set up and it seems to connect every time you turn the engine on. That's the good bit.

Every time you turn the engine on the system, 20 seconds later, gabbles some command about something being off, but this warning is in computer-speak and doesn't mean a thing to me, other than irritates the heck out of me. I've made a mental note not to buy a Ford if it has such a system and not to rent Fords.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I've had a few Fords from Hertz with BT but the most horrible Microsoft system. It's relatively easy to set up and it seems to connect every time you turn the engine on. That's the good bit.

Every time you turn the engine on the system, 20 seconds later, gabbles some command about something being off, but this warning is in computer-speak and doesn't mean a thing to me, other than irritates the heck out of me. I've made a mental note not to buy a Ford if it has such a system and not to rent Fords.
It might be telling you it wants to download your contact list. I just do it, but I understand if you have contacts you'd rather not divulge.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:54 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
I have to disagree with you on that one, Dog. Sometimes the car IS the problem.
I clarified my comment to indicate I was primarily speaking of the problem at hand, phone works but audio doesn't (which you also mention).

And maybe I should have really said that when I have a problem, I look first at my old phone!

By the way, though, Corolla is very quick and easy, very quick setup of phone and audio.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It's telling you that 911 Assist is disabled. 911 assist is their equivalent of OnStar - if you're in an accident it will call 911 for you, using your phone over bluetooth.

If you don't like the message you can go into the menus in the SYNC system and either :
1) Enabled 911 Assist, or
2) Disable 911 Assist Reminder, which will stop it reminding you every time you turn the car on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.