Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Class action lawsuits against Hertz and PlatePass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

I know PlatePass and Hertz has been a hot topic here, with discussion of lawsuits. Today I received a note about a class action lawsuit and proposed settlement against Hertz and Platepass:

"In the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
Susan Doherty and Dwight Simonson v. The Hertz Corporation, American Traffic Solutions, Inc., and PlatePass LLC
Case No. 1:10-CV-00359

NOTICE OF PROPOSED CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT
YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS MAY BE AFFECTED BY THIS SETTLEMENT
PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY

You received this card because you may have rented a Hertz vehicle between July 1, 2006 and March 31, 2010, and, during that rental, used the PlatePass electronic toll payment service, and, thereafter, paid PlatePass service fees (f/k/a administrative fees). A proposed class action lawsuit by Plaintiffs Doherty and Simonson against The Hertz Corporation, American Traffic Solutions, Inc., and PlatePass LLC (collectively, "Defendants") alleged, among other things, that Defendants failed to adequately disclose PlatePass service fees and certain toll-related charges associated with PlatePass use, breached the Hertz rental contract, and violated New Jersey consumer law. There has been a proposed settlement of that lawsuit. Defendants' records show that you may be included in this proposed settlement and entitled to a cash refund.

If you wish to receive a cash refund, you must file a claim using of the following options no later than November 21, 2013….[instructions on how to do so]"

They mention a website: www.HertzPlatePassSettlement.com
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
it's about time... and it should be not just hertz but every rental companies that uses the rip-off platepass.

also wonder how about those got hit after March 31, 2010?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:52 pm

You'll end up getting 10% off your next PlatePass bill and the scumbag lawyers will get a few million.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelsg

I suspect that in April 2010 that Hertz changed the way it disclosed charges to ensure that they were adequetely disclosed
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Still not sure what took so long. I also wonder how the ones out west, can happen since their is no way to turn them off and every car has them.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by travelsg
it's about time... and it should be not just hertz but every rental companies that uses the rip-off platepass.

If you read the paperwork you will see exactly what parts of the fees this applies to, and I would bet that in March of 2010 they changed the disclosures to be easier to understand for those who just don't get it.

It also states that if you go through the process it will show you what your potential overages were.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Postcard arrived in Jersey, British Channel Islands, yesterday and claimed immediately, on line of course.

We remember it well, as we got an Amex charge for toll booths after a rental in '09 ... After we had been paying cash. Nobody at Hertz said anything, I didn't sign anything, and as a Brit just saw a box at the top of the windshield that (I later discover) was clicking up the fees.

I knew these things existed, but declined (smartPass around DC), renting usually with Dollar, as I don't use toll roads much. How did I know this Hertz thing was active, and clocking up $$$? I assumed it wasn't activated, and just paid cash at the few toll booths I used.

Delighted that Hertz have been slammed on this. I look forward to asking a buddy in the US to waste his time cashing a cheque/check for $6.80 ... At least my Virgin fuels scam Class action was worth $20 ... Sorry, Al, I'll buy you a beer with the proceeds.

So now Dollar is bought out by Hertz? As a cheap end renter, I am going to be VERY careful with my 3-week rentals of an SUV. The guys at the IAD location know me, but now I'm worrying about Corporate policies. After an 8-hour flight, small print is not an ideal "threat scenario".

Hey, only $11,004,000 plus legal fees for the settlement ... I guess Hertz will survive. I just spit on them now.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:34 pm

Glad to find this forum; wasn't sure if it was fair dinkum or not...... but reassuring to see posts by others. I drove Montreal through to Boston in September 2008. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it, particularly now our AUD has plunged :\ !
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Has anyone received their settlement check in the class action Hertz PlatePass lawsuit? Claim deadline was almost six months ago.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1M Miles. United 1K, Delta Gld, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gld
Got a check in the mail today... $11.00.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Plateless sure feels like a scam to me... I hope all Rental car companies stop doing that.. sigh...
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:32 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Got my check yesterday. $2.95

I immediately headed for Starbucks to spend my money, but didn't have enough to buy a cup of coffee there. Only people who made out on this case were the lawyers...
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
$22.70 here.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by danville 1K
Got my check yesterday. $2.95

I immediately headed for Starbucks to spend my money, but didn't have enough to buy a cup of coffee there. Only people who made out on this case were the lawyers...
Did you get more than if no lawsuit had been filed? would you have proceeded to take action on your own?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
NYC Comptroller Stringer attacks rental company EZ Pass fees! Calls it a RIP OFF!!!

Over the years there have been numerous threads in this forum regarding excessive EZ Pass, FasTrak, PlatePass, SunPass and AutoExpreso fees being charged by Hertz. Listed below are a few of them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...ntal-cars.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...pass-scam.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...ansponder.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...-bridge-3.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...use-hertz.html

This morning I received an email from the NYC Comptroller Scott Stringer demanding that the State of NY to do something about this ongoing rip off by the car rental companies. He has even used the description egregious convenience fees in the email I received. IMHO HIGHWAY ROBBERY is more appropriate. He is calling on the state to fix this problem by either regulating the fees rental car companies can charge or creating an independent system so New Yorkers who rent cars can pay E-Z Pass tolls without being charged these exorbitant fees.

If you click on the highlighted words "travel alert" in his press release (link below) you can download the entire pdf file.

http://comptroller.nyc.gov/newsroom/...-for-e-z-pass/

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Nov 23, 2015 at 11:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.