Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Additional Driver and Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Question Additional Driver and Insurance

We are taking a trip next week with my immediate family and my in-laws. We'll be renting two cars, one for my in-laws and one for my spouse and kids. I'm Hertz President's Circle, so we reserved both cars under my name. Obviously we'll have the in-laws as additional drivers on one car, but how does that work for insurance purposes? If they're in an accident, which auto liability policy works? Mine? Theirs?

Both my insurer and Hertz were less than helpful in this respect.

Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mylegs
We are taking a trip next week with my immediate family and my in-laws. We'll be renting two cars, one for my in-laws and one for my spouse and kids. I'm Hertz President's Circle, so we reserved both cars under my name. Obviously we'll have the in-laws as additional drivers on one car, but how does that work for insurance purposes? If they're in an accident, which auto liability policy works? Mine? Theirs?

Both my insurer and Hertz were less than helpful in this respect.

Thanks.
Your own insurer doesn't know? Makes me wonder about the agent/company.
I'm no lawyer, but if the car is rented with you as the primary renter, then I would say your insurance is also primary.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
If you are not buying insurance from hertz, they won't help you in any respect. But I would call your own insurance company again, just ask them whether your policy cover rental cars or not. If so, is it primary or secondary?

Assuming your personal insurance doesn't cover rental car, check your credit cards. Some offer primary insurance for rental car, if you charge the full amount to the card, although the standard is excess coverage (ie, secondary).

Amex has a flat-rate promotion a while ago (I received an offer in the mail), which is a decent deal. You might want to check on that as well.

worst come to worst, pick up the insurance from hertz.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:43 pm

If I were you, I'd pay for the insurance...as ridiculously priced as it is. Usually what would happen is that your insurance will deny your claim because someone on your policy wasn't driving. Your in-law's insurance will say that your in-laws are not responsible for the vehicle (which is true) and will deny the claim.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Well, my in-laws' insurer was helpful. They said no coverage unless the rental car was in my in-laws name. So, we just signed them up for Hertz Gold and booked a car for them. I won't get double points and they likely won't get an upgrade, but it's way easier this way.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.