Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Adding wife as additional driver - does she need to be present?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emerald Club, Hhonors, Rapid rewards

On Saturday I'm driving to the airport to pick up a car for a road trip next week and was wondering if my wife needs to be present to be added as an additional driver? With National I was told by multiple employees that my wife is automatically covered as an additional driver by the rental agreement and she does not need to be added to present when picking up the car. Is this the case with Hertz as well? I'm a Gold member and using a AAA CDP so there should be no charges regardless.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Drathen
On Saturday I'm driving to the airport to pick up a car for a road trip next week and was wondering if my wife needs to be present to be added as an additional driver? With National I was told by multiple employees that my wife is automatically covered as an additional driver by the rental agreement and she does not need to be added to present when picking up the car. Is this the case with Hertz as well? I'm a Gold member and using a AAA CDP so there should be no charges regardless.
It may be helpful to have her license physically available. Some places want to "swipe" the license to allow the driver.

If you are driving to get the rental, don't you have to have someone along to drive your car home anyway?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It may be helpful to have her license physically available. Some places want to "swipe" the license to allow the driver.

If you are driving to get the rental, don't you have to have someone along to drive your car home anyway?
The airport I'm picking up the car is a 75 minute drive from home so my wife would rather not go if she doesn't have to. I'm leaving my car in an extended stay parking spot and a park & ride lot, then taking light rail to the airport.

If they just need her license then I could bring it with me.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Drathen

If they just need her license then I could bring it with me.
The easiest solution is to call the location and make sure what their requirements are. Any other opinions are just that. And everyone has one.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Spouses don't need to be added to the contract...

How would I add an additional driver if I am a Gold Plus Rewards Member?

"If the person to be added on is your spouse, domestic partner or coworker, they are considered authorized operators and can operate the Hertz car without being added on. However, if they are not your spouse, domestic partner or coworker, you and the additional driver will need to go to any Hertz location to sign an Additional Authorized Operator (AAO) form to legally operate the Car. There is an additional fee for each Additional Authorized Operator (AAO)."

Search "Spouse" on the Hertz site (below) and you'll get the answer above.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/custo...on=globNav_8_1

Spouses are free if you have Gold Plus Rewards...

http://goldplus.hertz.com/benefits/benefits-of-gold
Save on the additional driver fee* when your spouse or domestic partner travels with you (save $13 a day per driver). *Valid for U.S. & Canada residents only.

Last edited by CalItalian; Jun 21, 2013 at 12:25 am
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I searched on the Hertz website and these forums without finding that information. My wife is quite please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.