Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wrong signature (forged) on vehicle incident report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrong signature (forged) on vehicle incident report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Angry Wrong signature (forged) on vehicle incident report

Hi:

I rented a Hertz vehicle in June 2012 (one way from las vegas to palo alto). Late March 2013, I received a damage bill of $150 for a cracked windshield. I returned the vehicle as-is and was sure this damage occurred later.

Hertz offloaded this to a claims center who have been mailing me about this. I reached out to them a couple of times and did not get any useful information. Finally, last week a agent told me that I had accepted the damage and signed the vehicle incident report and that they have that copy. I asked them to mail it to me, which they did.

The report has a wrong signature. It's not mine. Someone thought signing my name in full would make it a legit signature. I am really pissed How do I go about tackling this. Appreciate any help in this regard.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: national Exec, HERTZ PC, AVIS Chairman
WOW

How many times do you rent from Hertz.. Whats your status 5*?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't the forging of a signature a matter for the police?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Micropone:

2 - 5 times a year. Status: Hertz Gold

MSPeconomist:

I am trying to find out how I should approach this problem. Didn't expect such a thing from a reputable company like Hertz. I've recommended Hertz in the past to a lot of friends and now I feel cheated.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't the forging of a signature a matter for the police?
^^

I would stop dealing with Hertz and their representatives and contact the police or your lawyer if you have one.

-J.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
^^

I would stop dealing with Hertz and their representatives and contact the police or your lawyer if you have one.

-J.
If this was for 150K I would get a lawyer but for $150 dollars, it would cost more to involve a lawyer. Work it out with Hertz. Get a good line of contact with a manager. Tell them this is not your signature. You can provide them with a ID or something with your signature.

This would be no different then working out an overcharge, a gas charge, a ticket, etc...
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:16 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
What kind of cracked windshield repair would only be $150?

Ignoring that, assuming they have already charged you for it, just let them know it's not your signature, you did not cause the damage, and you would like a refund. If they say no, dispute the charge with your credit card company giving them all the facts.

If they have not charged you, then explain to them it is not your damage, and you never signed anything accepting the damage, and that it's not your signature. If they put it into collections, then you will need to repeat the entire process with them.

I would also in either case try to get the manager at the site you returned the car to find out exactly what the deal is, how they got a signature, etc. They may be able to take care of it in one call.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: None
$150 might be the fleet cost to replace a windshield, unless it was a high end car, then alot more money. If you were a PC, Hertz might waive it, an infrequent renter, they will put it to you.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by DJTim
If this was for 150K I would get a lawyer but for $150 dollars, it would cost more to involve a lawyer. Work it out with Hertz. Get a good line of contact with a manager. Tell them this is not your signature. You can provide them with a ID or something with your signature.

This would be no different then working out an overcharge, a gas charge, a ticket, etc...
Getting $150 out of them doesn't seem like the major problem here. The major problem is that one of their employees has gone and forged his signature, which is pretty darn serious.

I'd want the $150 *and* the head (figuratively speaking) of the person responsible.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:52 pm

Forged Signature

I really want to know what ended up happening with this case. I too just recently had my signature forged. I was charged for insurance, which I absolutely passed on because I have never accepted rental car insurance. Upon returning the vehicle, I mentioned that I misplaced my rental agreement. And a week later I was billed over $200.00, I insisted on a copy of the rental agreement and there it was... A signature I have never seen! I have been signing the same first and last name since 2004 when I got married and I have never left letters out of name! Not sure what the next step is. I'm not going to drop this issue until it is taken care of.
Originally Posted by pdilip
Hi:

I rented a Hertz vehicle in June 2012 (one way from las vegas to palo alto). Late March 2013, I received a damage bill of $150 for a cracked windshield. I returned the vehicle as-is and was sure this damage occurred later.

Hertz offloaded this to a claims center who have been mailing me about this. I reached out to them a couple of times and did not get any useful information. Finally, last week a agent told me that I had accepted the damage and signed the vehicle incident report and that they have that copy. I asked them to mail it to me, which they did.

The report has a wrong signature. It's not mine. Someone thought signing my name in full would make it a legit signature. I am really pissed How do I go about tackling this. Appreciate any help in this regard.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 9:22 am
Original Poster

caramel35m:

Sorry for the late reply. I spoke with a manager who apologized for the inconvenience and gave me free upgrades. I haven't used Hertz since then.

I suggest you call them and do the same. I wouldn't waste time taking it up legally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.