Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible - Anyone Hired or Spotted One

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:18 am
Original Poster

I´ve booked one of the above from LAX in April and Im just wondering if anyone else has hired one before and what they thought. Also what colours have they been seen in at the stations. I have seen one report of a guy renting a bright yellow one with black stripes, id love to get this colour instead of some boring red, but id also love a nice black or dark grey.

Any opinions welcomed.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: hertz gold #1
http://themotor.net/?p=427

review here

id imagine they have lots of these so most colors
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:42 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Rented a Camaro SS convertible in red from HNL using points. Came with the hockey stripes in black.

if you get the conv, keep in mind that its difficult to see your blind spots unless you drop the top.

426 horses and a stiff ride make it a fun car to drive.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
I rented it in Hawaii as well, once for my wedding, and the other time to cruise around the island.

Loved it, but it ain't no vette, I expected more noise and better power delivery. The engine seemed a bit lazy.
That said, handling was superb, maybe sharpest I've experienced on American car (apart from teh vette). and it did turn heads, lots of thumbs up from local folks. great feeling!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:32 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by aces_high
Loved it, but it ain't no vette,
I thought on the whole the Camaro was a much better car than the 'Vette. I had one of the special ZHZ Hertz Corvettes a while back, and once the novelty wore off, I thought the it was actually a rather crude device that would be hard to live with on a sustained basis. Whereas the Camaro, I thought was fantastic.

Others will doubtless have different views.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
I thought on the whole the Camaro was a much better car than the 'Vette. I had one of the special ZHZ Hertz Corvettes a while back, and once the novelty wore off, I thought the it was actually a rather crude device that would be hard to live with on a sustained basis. Whereas the Camaro, I thought was fantastic.

Others will doubtless have different views.
The Camaro is a lot more practical than the Corvette. It can (theoretically) hold 4 people and it has a trunk that can take something larger than a few sheets of paper. Many will argue it looks cooler, and in some aspects, it does.

On the other hand, the Corvette is really more oriented towards performance. It's much lighter than the Camaro and gets 30 more horsepower IIRC. It holds two and has a tiny trunk because it's not designed to be practical -- it's designed to be simple (crude), powerful, and fast.

I've never had the opportunity to drive a Camaro (yet). That said, the Corvette is the most amazing thing I have ever had the honor of operating.

-J.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
The Camaro is a lot more practical than the Corvette. It can (theoretically) hold 4 people and it has a trunk that can take something larger than a few sheets of paper. Many will argue it looks cooler, and in some aspects, it does.

On the other hand, the Corvette is really more oriented towards performance. It's much lighter than the Camaro and gets 30 more horsepower IIRC. It holds two and has a tiny trunk because it's not designed to be practical -- it's designed to be simple (crude), powerful, and fast.

I've never had the opportunity to drive a Camaro (yet). That said, the Corvette is the most amazing thing I have ever had the honor of operating.

-J.
If you were doing a 2000 mile road trip alone with luggage would you choose the Corvette or try the Camaro, now you have an informed opinion of the Corvette
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by welch9
If you were doing a 2000 mile road trip alone with luggage would you choose the Corvette or try the Camaro, now you have an informed opinion of the Corvette
Like I said the Corvette isn't very practical. It would be okay for 2000 miles if you were the only person traveling as you have the passenger seat for luggage Do NOT take the Corvette! I saw a Camaro SS CV with barcodes on it (i.e. it is a rental car) last night so that means Hertz SLC has at least one.

Drzoidberg has driven both the coupe and the 1LT convertible; I'd suggest reading both and considering the SS coupe's handling characteristics with everything else from the convertible

-J.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Like I said the Corvette isn't very practical. It would be okay for 2000 miles if you were the only person traveling as you have the passenger seat for luggage Do NOT take the Corvette! I saw a Camaro SS CV with barcodes on it (i.e. it is a rental car) last night so that means Hertz SLC has at least one.

Drzoidberg has driven both the coupe and the 1LT convertible; I'd suggest reading both and considering the SS coupe's handling characteristics with everything else from the convertible

-J.
Thanks for the shout-out jzweighaft

How about that new 2014 Corvette? I know it's not in fleets yet, but drool.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: None
Rented a regular camero convertible, did not see and SSs, and of course, a few Mustang convertibles, this was SFO
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by welch9
For that, I'd take a Camaro....... if I thought there was a chance of top down weather, it would be an SS Convertible version (I took one to the Grand Canyon on New Years Day in 2012 and kept the roof down all day - just needed a warm jacket at that altitude!). An SS Coupe would be nearly as good.

Agree that the 2014 Corvette (not due to go on sale for a good few months yet) looks an enticing propsect. I hope they go on fleet later in the year.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
You know, having driven 1500 miles in a Camaro, I wouldn't want to do it again. Very uncomfortable. Maybe if you're only driving a couple hours at a time max, with many hours/overnights in between. Mine was the V6 RS version, but don't think the comfort would be any different. My 1500 mile drive is done with a couple of 600+ mile whole-day chunks. Absolutely would steer you away from the Camaro for 2000 mile road trip if doing hours-long driving stints, although I doubt the existing Vette would be any better.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyOne
You know, having driven 1500 miles in a Camaro, I wouldn't want to do it again. Very uncomfortable. Maybe if you're only driving a couple hours at a time max, with many hours/overnights in between. Mine was the V6 RS version, but don't think the comfort would be any different. My 1500 mile drive is done with a couple of 600+ mile whole-day chunks. Absolutely would steer you away from the Camaro for 2000 mile road trip if doing hours-long driving stints, although I doubt the existing Vette would be any better.
My trip consists mostly of drive 4 hours then have a couple of nghts stop over, so no real long long clumps of driving.

My other alternative was the Challenger RT, as a hard top option. As im driving in April to mostly California and Nevada im hoping for some top down weather. Also I own a MB convertible in UK and love to go Topless
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
Challenger is awesome for road trip, but its only hard top.
But it has very roomy interior, huge trunk and very comfortable seats. I did California+Nevada+Arizona in it and I would do it all over again... which actually I did, rented it again for the SD to Vegas in it few weeks ago.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aces_high
Challenger is awesome for road trip, but its only hard top.
But it has very roomy interior, huge trunk and very comfortable seats. I did California+Nevada+Arizona in it and I would do it all over again... which actually I did, rented it again for the SD to Vegas in it few weeks ago.
Yeah this is my dilemma as the Challenger in Oranage with the black stripe as hertz supply them look great, and it come with all the bounuses of being roomy and loads luggage space.

I just think there is something good about doing my first US road trip in a convertible, i know its a clichay too.

Also the Challenger is 1600usd and the camaro ss conv is 1310 which is enough to lean me one way. But i love the look of the challenger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.