Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Current underage fee waiver code quick reference:

Use either a CDP or a PC:

CDPs
AAA: various codes listed here - fee now waived for AAA members age 20-24 as confirmed here
USAA: 77694 - for USAA members age 18-24
Hertz Gold Family: 1826991 - Technically only for those who signed up for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (free) through this link: http://hertz.com/goldfamily, though not likely enforced - Seems to no longer work in U.S. but continues to work in Canada

PCs
Current underage fee wavier PC: 106934 - fee reduced to $9.99/day through 3/31 (possibly no longer valid as of 3/4?)
Please add one if anything comes up in the future!

Are there other CDPs? If you find them, please post them in this thread.

Alternative companies and options
USAA member discount at other companies: Avis: A177232, Budget: Y126501, Enterprise: ALNCWBA
Avis: reports are that the Visa cardholders discount (B204400) removes the underage fee--do a test booking at Avis.com to check
Budget: If renting in Canada, the Costco Executive Member code appears to waive the underage driver fee (source)
Dollar: reduced underage driver fee of $9.99/day through 3/31 when booking with coupon code 101080

Summary of the situation

Here's what we've discussed/researched/experienced so far:
Age 21-24
  • Daily "Age Differential Charge"
    • Lower daily charge - varies by location, approx $15 - Classes A, B, C, D, F, G, J
    • Higher daily charge - varies by location, approx $25 - all others except Prestige & Adrenaline
  • Daily fee is easily waived with a PC or these CDPs: Hertz Gold Family, USAA.
  • Fee is also waived for US Government Employees and Military (travelling at leisure or on orders, ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card).
  • Prestige and Adrenaline are never rentable under 25.
  • In Mississippi the minimum age is 21 by law.

Age 18-20
  • Mandated by law in NY, MI and also allowed in QC. Age Differential Charge is $41 per day and could vary. (Underage fee waiver by PC and Hertz Gold Family CDP is for 21-24 only.)
  • USAA members 18-20 years old can rent anywhwere in the United States with no fee.
    • USAA "program benefits apply only at participating locations in the United States. They do not apply to international rentals or if the rental agreement terms have been violated."
    • "Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."
  • US Government Employees/Military 18-20 years old travelling on orders (ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card) are also able to rent with no fee.
  • Only vehicles available are classes A, B, C, D, F.
To read the Hertz policy at a specific location:
1) Click this link for Rental Requirements.
2) Select the location.
3) Click the name of the location when found.
4) Select "Age Requirements" from the drop down box.
Outstanding questions

1) Will the USAA CDP work for limited members?

USAA is an organization for US military, veterans, and their families. You must meet this qualification in order to get USAA insurance. But anybody can join USAA for free as a limited member.

What has yet to be reported here is if the limited membership qualifies for all the USAA Hertz benefits, which includes the under age fee being waived. And of course anybody could use USAA CDP and hope their membership isn't verified, but what if there were a bad accident? Things could get ugly and lawyers would certainly get involved.

In practice, Hertz seems not to discriminate between limited and full members of USAA. Actually, Hertz almost never even asks for identification to prove USAA membership, but in the event they do, providing your USAA number, a screenshot of the USAA page, or something else showing affiliation should be sufficient. Consequences after the fact if damage is involved remain unclear, though.

2) Are there any states/locations beside NY and MI that rent to under 20?

Per roymustang: "USAA members may rent as young as 18 years old, except where prohibited by state law, such as the aforementioned Mississippi. Front-line employees may resist but managers should be aware of this perk."

3) What about outside of the USA?

Per GW McLintock: "The underage PC only works in the USA and Canada. CDP waivers I believe will work outside of the US, but it may be best to get in touch with the location or customer service beforehand just to confirm. I would expect to be given a hard time especially at licensed franchises abroad."

Additional places to look for PCs
- The coupon sticky thread: PC and RQ Registry - Promotion Codes and Rate Codes only
- Hertz.com- Facebook
- Twitter
- Email and snailmail from Hertz
- All around the interwebs
- When you find new codes, be sure to post them in the coupon sticky thread

Originally based on material posted by Rut Dog; used by permission
Print Wikipost

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:40 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Roona
You usually can get away with reserving or UC picking prestige/adrenaline vehicles if you don't have to go to the counter (see: UC locations and this isn't your first GPR rental). I've never been denied at the exit gate, whereas I've seen friends denied when they've had to go to the counter. One even got denied for a pickup truck Status probably helps too.
This may be the case elsewhere, but they are very strict at LAX. Even if you are PC and pull a nicer vehicle out of the UC PC section, you are more than likely going to be turned back at the exit gate.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Roona
Figured I'd add some of my experiences here for anyone renting in the future.

AAA CDP will waive additional driver fees, but not the <25 fee for the second driver. USAA CDP will waive both the additional driver fee and <25 fee for at least the second driver. Tried this at a corporate US location (SJC) where a friend and I rented a car each and tried to add each other. The T&Cs might seem to say otherwise (and you might be able to argue your way into it), but this is how the system was set up.

USAA CDP will let you rent 18-19, but you can't add a 18-19 additional driver. System won't take it and the manager I complained to either couldn't figure it out, or couldn't be bothered to.

You usually can get away with reserving or UC picking prestige/adrenaline vehicles if you don't have to go to the counter (see: UC locations and this isn't your first GPR rental). I've never been denied at the exit gate, whereas I've seen friends denied when they've had to go to the counter. One even got denied for a pickup truck Status probably helps too.
I had similar YMMV experiences when I was under 25, like getting denied at the gate for a paid upgrade and a pickup truck. Sometimes I'd
​​get questioned over an SUV but then a manager approved it.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA
The Wiki says CDPs should work abroad, but the one I used doesn't work in Spain. Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid the surcharge on rentals in Barcelona?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:36 pm

Hi all,

I am from Singapore and will be joining the AAS (AAA equivalent in Singapore), which is an affiliate club of AAA.
Anyone has any experience renting from Hertz using the AAA code to enjoy the young driver fee waiver (is there a specific AAA CDP code i need to use if i am from an AAA international affiliate club?)

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Cre8ate
Hi all,

I am from Singapore and will be joining the AAS (AAA equivalent in Singapore), which is an affiliate club of AAA.
Anyone has any experience renting from Hertz using the AAA code to enjoy the young driver fee waiver (is there a specific AAA CDP code i need to use if i am from an AAA international affiliate club?)

Thanks!
I would guess that you don't qualify, unfortunately. That said, they check AAA membership so infrequently that you could probably get away with just using any generic AAA discount code without question, though between being from out of the country (very obvious when you give them your driver's license) plus being underage (which may cause a thing to pop up on their computer screen), there would be more chances than normal that they might challenge you and ask you for proof or something. Gold membership might help if you can sign up and add your Gold number to your reservation, though this being your first rental with Hertz Gold, they'll likely not have your stuff pre-processed and you'll have to go to the counter to verify your account, so that may not really do much for you this time (but could help if you rent a second time).
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
You can book anything online. Just because you can book it doesn't mean you will be allowed to check it out. I've seen under 25 get away with it and I've seen under 25 be denied. Most likely you will be denied as it is against Hertz's policy, but you can always try.
Hmm, I'm not sure if I should try it or not Prestige Car is just cheaper than getting the "Premium Car". Tragic is that I contacted Hertz over the Phone (on there dedicated Prestige Hotline) and via Twitter and both told me that with 22 I should be able to get the Prestige Car. You think anything just changed in the last weeks? I'm a AAA Member. I'm renting in the US. (LAX)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by heubergen
Hmm, I'm not sure if I should try it or not Prestige Car is just cheaper than getting the "Premium Car". Tragic is that I contacted Hertz over the Phone (on there dedicated Prestige Hotline) and via Twitter and both told me that with 22 I should be able to get the Prestige Car. You think anything just changed in the last weeks? I'm a AAA Member. I'm renting in the US. (LAX)
Make 2 reservations. If the prestige car works and they allow you to pick it up, don't question it.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:17 pm

I don't wanna make them any troubles by cancel last minute. I'm probably just gonna rent a "normal" car and good is.
Do they give a Chevrolet Impala with no problems to under 25 years old? (From the Premium Group)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:26 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by heubergen
I don't wanna make them any troubles by cancel last minute. I'm probably just gonna rent a "normal" car and good is.
Do they give a Chevrolet Impala with no problems to under 25 years old? (From the Premium Group)
An Impala should be no problem. That said, if the Prestige Collection is cheaper than the Premium car, just book that. If they don't challenge about taking the Prestige car, then all the better. If you do get challenged, just take an Impala or something instead. The computer system will let you take anything on the lot. It the local staff/manager that may push back. I'm talking from actual experience here with an underage driver who rented weekly with Hertz for over a year.
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:51 pm

Has anyone been able to get a young driver fee waived or reduced in Europe? I'm 24 and I am looking to rent in Brussels but these young driver fees are ridiculous... would much rather fly to Germany and rent a car there from sixt or europcar since there fees for young driver are 23 and under but that's not so viable for me at this point
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
So a couple reports from renting out of Memphis. For 3 weeks in a row, Premium was the cheapest option. Got an Impala, then a QX50, and now a QX70. No issues or questions anytime. AAA CDP and had the young renter fee waved every time.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:25 pm

That's nice! I rent Full Size to get a new Camry and I'll be happy with that
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by z1232
Has anyone been able to get a young driver fee waived or reduced in Europe? I'm 24 and I am looking to rent in Brussels but these young driver fees are ridiculous... would much rather fly to Germany and rent a car there from sixt or europcar since there fees for young driver are 23 and under but that's not so viable for me at this point
Take the ICE from Brussels North Station to Aachen and rent a car there? 1h4m on the train and 19,90 EUR...seems like an easy solution.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:12 am

The game is getting harder and harder. USAA is pretty much dead for underage people without military affiliation. AAA is the only choice I guess, but their annual fee is not cheap.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:59 am

$60/year is not cheap? I beg to differ since the daily underage fee is ~$30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.