Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Ride Report] 2012 Toyota Camry LE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
FWIW the 4-cyl in the Malibu is wayyy too weak for the car, but its manual mode was perhaps the most responsive of any car I've ever driven. Ride report forthcoming

-J.
Hahaha my first ever rental was a Malibu.. and I did not like it one bit! The engine was (as you mentioned) underpowered, buzzy and doesn't actually give good gas mileage. Although I somewhat remember using the manual mode on that, I am pretty blur on it's responsiveness. Hmm.. Time for another rental!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jerleong
I concur. They ought to amp up the 'intelligentness' of the sequential gearbox, but to be honest, people who buy the Camry (for example, say, my dad) are never going to use the sequential mode, opting for the good ol' 'D' and leaving it to the car. Younger crowds (*ahem*us*ahem*) would love to play with sequential mode and I have yet to experience any rentals with a decent gearbox that does this feature well.

AH! That definitely affects the MPG! We're pretty flat over here in the Mid-West so I guess that's why I was able to get higher numbers.
Very nice ride reports from both of you. I tried to get a Camry during my last rental but was not about to turn down a '12 Maxima which was a blast.

As far as the "manual shift mode" I understand it's an available feature but does anyone really expect it to be anything half decent? They're all economy cars.. Once you drive a car with a (real) manual trans, all the faux sport shift mode things don't compare. No clutch = no fun! Like it was pointed out, you barely have control anyway, the computer still intervenesT. A friend of mine just bought a Civic Si (which only comes in 6spd manual) and it was fun to drive but I'm happy with my more pedestrian auto trans. The Si has a stiff clutch which I didn't care for, though I guess that'd give me a muscular left leg

Anyway, I have a rental coming up since my personal car is going into the body shop . We'll see what I get. I reserved a PCAR but I'd think about taking a '12 Camry if they had one!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Originally Posted by TRD_808
As far as the "manual shift mode" I understand it's an available feature but does anyone really expect it to be anything half decent? They're all economy cars.. Once you drive a car with a (real) manual trans, all the faux sport shift mode things don't compare. No clutch = no fun!
I own a 2005 4 cyl Camry that is a 5 spd. I bought this car brand new and I got a "smoking" great deal on the car as it was one of 6 "ad" cars on the lot. Alot of people did not want to buy a manual Camry when they got to the lot and found out it was not an automatic. ( I did!)

I get decent gas mileage (34-36 mostly highway (overall) even with some driving in Los Angeles rush traffic). I enjoy shifting and I am in my mid 50's. I rent alot from the HLE's for the 2-3 day weekend when there are great deals. (like now with freedom rate w/coupons!).

I haven't rented a manual shift car in the USA since 1984 when I got a Honda Accord for $15 for a one day rental. Manuals never available since 1984 in the USA. Loved driving that car!! I rent manuals when I am overseas (Europe, Australia, NZ) as they are usually alot cheaper than automatics and get better gas mileage. (in my experience).
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by chemist661
I own a 2005 4 cyl Camry that is a 5 spd. I bought this car brand new and I got a "smoking" great deal on the car as it was one of 6 "ad" cars on the lot. Alot of people did not want to buy a manual Camry when they got to the lot and found out it was not an automatic. ( I did!)

I get decent gas mileage (34-36 mostly highway (overall) even with some driving in Los Angeles rush traffic). I enjoy shifting and I am in my mid 50's. I rent alot from the HLE's for the 2-3 day weekend when there are great deals. (like now with freedom rate w/coupons!).

I haven't rented a manual shift car in the USA since 1984 when I got a Honda Accord for $15 for a one day rental. Manuals never available since 1984 in the USA. Loved driving that car!! I rent manuals when I am overseas (Europe, Australia, NZ) as they are usually alot cheaper than automatics and get better gas mileage. (in my experience).
You know what's funny? I also have a 2005 Camry! 2.4L I4 with the 5spd auto though. I added factory alloys, tint, reverse sensors, and OEM fog lights. I always wondered what my car would be like w/ a 5spd manual! My highest was 33 MPG mostly highway. There's really just not enough highway here in Hawaii to get good gas mileage, everything is mostly city driving. Great car.. I'm about to hit 50K miles and no problems except the water pump a little while ago.

I really like my Camry so I hope to get the new Camry as a rental sooner or later. I'm most interested in the new 2.5L engine and 6spd auto trans.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
One thing I just remembered was that I was really confused by the windshield wiper controls. It's just like on my '04 Malibu (and the '12 one too), but rather than notching the stalk upwards to increase power, you notch it downwards -- which is counter-intuitive to the rotating knob on it that you rotate upwards to increase intermittent speed. This really bugged me and confused me when it rained

-J.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
One thing I just remembered was that I was really confused by the windshield wiper controls. It's just like on my '04 Malibu (and the '12 one too), but rather than notching the stalk upwards to increase power, you notch it downwards -- which is counter-intuitive to the rotating knob on it that you rotate upwards to increase intermittent speed. This really bugged me and confused me when it rained

-J.
It's funny because I much prefer the stalk going down rather than up. Up is one swipe of the wipers, pull toward you is windshield spray, and downward is turning the wipers on. I guess that's intuitive to me because my car as well as friends'/family's cars I look after all function like that. MYs ranging from '95 thru '11, so it's not just a new or old car thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.