Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Add driver for short time on long term rental?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:04 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Have a 2 month rental and want to add my son to the rental for just 4 days. Hertz says it is possible to add him at $13 a day, but has to be for the entire remaining time on the rental (5 weeks). They say they cannot pick certain days. We are renting from a HLE, and they are checking into it. Last year, same thing happened and was not able to add him (different HLE). Anyone know a way to do this?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by wonderer
Have a 2 month rental and want to add my son to the rental for just 4 days. Hertz says it is possible to add him at $13 a day, but has to be for the entire remaining time on the rental (5 weeks). They say they cannot pick certain days. We are renting from a HLE, and they are checking into it. Last year, same thing happened and was not able to add him (different HLE). Anyone know a way to do this?
Get a business account and set him up as an authorized driver?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Just a guess, but couldn't you get the HLE to swap the vehicle at the end of the 5 days? In my experience that creates a separate rental with a manual override to correct the price to the original long-term rental rate. Never tried this when there wasn't an issue with the vehicle, but it seems like it would work.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:31 am

My HLE in the States said that it was possible to pick and choose certain days to be a second driver.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:35 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

solved!!!

Originally Posted by wonderer
Yesterday, Heard back a day later from my HLE after checking into it to say that they do not know a way to add a driver for just a few days. I then called Hertz customer service and asked and was referred up to a superviser. They did not know a way to do it either. They suggested I call Hertz corperate customer service and coperate also said there was not way to pick an ending date other than the end of the contract.

Just picked up my son at the airport here in Corpus Christi and as a last ditch effort stopped at the airport Hertz desk. The attendent said not problem, and went ahead and added my son for 5 days. She couldn't understand why I had such a problem.

I did the same 2 month rental last year from a San Antonio HLE and was given the same story about not being able to rent short term.

Anyway it is solved, but I can't understand why or what happened. The attendent at the Corpus Christi airport said it was simple, the form to add a renter mentions two choices for how long, one of which is end of rental term and the other choice is name your own date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.