Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Business Rewards free day certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

I recently came into possession of some Hertz Business Rewards certificates. I'd like to use them on a three-day rental at JFK next month, but I have some questions.

(If there's any confusion, I'm talking about these ones: http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/b2b/ba...ee_Rental_Days)

However, the website as well as the T&C on the certs themselves is not 100% clear. Here are my questions:

-Is there a maximum number of certificates that can be applied to a single rental? The T&C seem to indicate that in some Latin American countries, only one free day may be redeemed per rental, but nothing is mentioned about rentals in the U.S. except a vague allusion that the number of certificates that can be redeemed at any one time "may" be capped. Entering the requisite PC# on the Hertz site only takes one day off the estimated rental price; is there a problem using more than one?

-What's the typical amount left due when using these certificates? I would assume that flat-dollar charges (i.e. airport facility fees, "energy surcharges," etc.) are still charged, but do the percentage-based taxes apply to the pre-discounted total or are they reduced to $0 (since 12% of $0 is $0)?

-At a Gold Canopy or Gold Choice location, at what stage do I need to surrender the certificate? Will the exit booth be able to handle it, or do I need to stop at the counter first and make sure that the appropriate number of free days is applied?

-Has anyone had any luck applying these certificates on a one-way rental? I couldn't. Any attempt at a one-way, even an airport-to-city drop, errored out.

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I'm not as certain about the answer to your first question, but I am pretty confident in answering the other questions.

-Is there a maximum number of certificates that can be applied to a single rental? The T&C seem to indicate that in some Latin American countries, only one free day may be redeemed per rental, but nothing is mentioned about rentals in the U.S. except a vague allusion that the number of certificates that can be redeemed at any one time "may" be capped. Entering the requisite PC# on the Hertz site only takes one day off the estimated rental price; is there a problem using more than one?

I believe the maximum number that can be used in one rental is 7, but most people using their own points would get a weekly rental at a 5 day rental since most cars cost the same for a week as for 5 days. There are some cases where this rule does not apply with certain specialty cars.

-What's the typical amount left due when using these certificates? I would assume that flat-dollar charges (i.e. airport facility fees, "energy surcharges," etc.) are still charged, but do the percentage-based taxes apply to the pre-discounted total or are they reduced to $0 (since 12% of $0 is $0)?

Typically, Hertz's estimate of the cost of an award rental or a rental with an applied coupon is higher than the actual cost. This is because the estimate does not zero out some of the taxes that go down when you use a coupon or pay with the rental with points. You should expect to be charged some fixed airport fees.

-At a Gold Canopy or Gold Choice location, at what stage do I need to surrender the certificate? Will the exit booth be able to handle it, or do I need to stop at the counter first and make sure that the appropriate number of free days is applied?

The best thing to do with a paper voucher (for free nights or for a certain number of dollars off) is to go to the counter and get it applied to your bill when you pick up your car. The exit booth will only check the condition of the car (for non-Gold members), examine your driver's license, and sell you a prepaid tank of gas if you want it.

In theory, you could ask to apply the paper certificates at the time of the return of the rental. I would never do that because it saves time to do it when you get your car, and the employees behind the counter know more about applying the certificates properly. If you get an employee upon the drop off of the rental who does not know what to do, you could have a delay in returning your vehicle.

-Has anyone had any luck applying these certificates on a one-way rental? I couldn't. Any attempt at a one-way, even an airport-to-city drop, errored out.

You cannot apply any free rental day certificates towards a one-way rental. That is why Hertz charges more for award redemption on one-way rentals.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: Not care as much as before...
Originally Posted by VA1379

You cannot apply any free rental day certificates towards a one-way rental. That is why Hertz charges more for award redemption on one-way rentals.
Thanks for this information. Recently I am also thinking using it for one-way rental...........
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Jackal, I wanted to see if you were able to successfully use the free day certificates in NYC.

I've heard that there are some Hertz locations in NYC (possibly other places as well) that are now asking the free day certificate holder to show a business card that matches up to the company name on the free day certificate. If you can't, they won't honor the rental.

Curious to know if anyone has experienced this or heard anything like this?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fried.food.is.good
Jackal, I wanted to see if you were able to successfully use the free day certificates in NYC.

I've heard that there are some Hertz locations in NYC (possibly other places as well) that are now asking the free day certificate holder to show a business card that matches up to the company name on the free day certificate. If you can't, they won't honor the rental.

Curious to know if anyone has experienced this or heard anything like this?
Used a couple at JFK and one at a Manhattan HLE. Neither asked me for any proof of employment (although I would be able to provide it). At JFK, I was only charged the tax on one of the fees (i.e. no tax on the base rate, just something like 50 cents in tax on one of the $3 fees), and at the HLE, I paid nothing in tax (just the flat $9 LDW).

In all cases, I was told to surrender the coupon at the return of the rental. Applying multiple certificates to a rental was not an issue. In fact, I read elsewhere on FT that appending x[number of days] to the end of the PC when making the reservation causes the estimated charge to count multiple free days--that is, you would enter the PC# when making the reservation as 123456x3 to apply three free days. You can do that up to x7 but not beyond (although I don't think there's any limitation to actually using more than 7 on a longer rental).

I was also able to pick up at one Manhattan HLE and return at another Manhattan HLE without adding any costs or limiting my mileage. I called on my way back into town to check and the rep rescheduled my drop to a different office and confirmed that the rate had not changed. The rental agent had to perform some computer gymnastics to return the car (logging into the other location's system to close the rental agreement, which had the side effect of showing that I returned it to the original store, FWIW), but it worked out in the end.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Wow - you were able to rent from one HLE and return to a different one? That is pretty impressive. The certificates restrict you doing that but I never thought of trying to change it mid-way through the rental. Sounds like you ran into a very friendly CSR. Or maybe depending on where the HLE's are in Manhattan, Hertz considers a few to be the same location since some are within blocks of each other (just a guess, not a statement of fact). Either way, it's neat that you got to do that.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fried.food.is.good
Wow - you were able to rent from one HLE and return to a different one? That is pretty impressive. The certificates restrict you doing that but I never thought of trying to change it mid-way through the rental. Sounds like you ran into a very friendly CSR. Or maybe depending on where the HLE's are in Manhattan, Hertz considers a few to be the same location since some are within blocks of each other (just a guess, not a statement of fact). Either way, it's neat that you got to do that.
I know Hertz doesn't charge one-way fees (or higher one-way rates) between some Manhattan HLEs, so I just assumed that it would work. Checking now, though, trying to book a one-way between the two HLEs I used (which were more than a few blocks apart--more like the UES to the Village ) doesn't work when trying to apply a cert. So I guess I got lucky.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
A related question about the Hertz Free Day Certificates:

I'm going to be in FRA in early September, but I have no idea what class of cars are considered eligible for the certificate. I know that manual cars are allowed, from Economy to Full-size, but I know there are lots of "special" cars, too.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:17 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by gmax58
A related question about the Hertz Free Day Certificates:

I'm going to be in FRA in early September, but I have no idea what class of cars are considered eligible for the certificate. I know that manual cars are allowed, from Economy to Full-size, but I know there are lots of "special" cars, too.
It's actually Compact through Full-Size according to the certificates, and M/T only. Specialty cars are not eligible. Put another way, it's valid on the following vehicle types:

CCMR/CDMR
ICMR/IDMR
SCMR/SDMR
FCMR/FDMR

The vehicle designations show up on Hertz's website next to the vehicles.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
It's actually Compact through Full-Size according to the certificates, and M/T only. Specialty cars are not eligible. Put another way, it's valid on the following vehicle types:

CCMR/CDMR
ICMR/IDMR
SCMR/SDMR
FCMR/FDMR

The vehicle designations show up on Hertz's website next to the vehicles.

My certs say they are good for compact to Premium. But maybe thats domestic only.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:20 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by bhunt
My certs say they are good for compact to Premium. But maybe thats domestic only.
Yes--domestic only. Look on the back and you'll see the T&C's for non-US/Canada rentals.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hertz
Proof of Employment??

I want to buy a HERTZ Business Rewards Earned Free Rental Day off of Ebay
I want to make sure that it will work before I buy it
Do you know if I have the PC# and the CDP number will I have to provide proof that I work for that company when I go to use the reward?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kymberlijanek
I want to buy a HERTZ Business Rewards Earned Free Rental Day off of Ebay
I want to make sure that it will work before I buy it
Do you know if I have the PC# and the CDP number will I have to provide proof that I work for that company when I go to use the reward?
Disregarding the fact that back of the certificate says:

Use of this certificate is lmited to participants in Hertz Business Rewards. Certificates have no cash value, are non-transferable, cannot be sold, cannot be exchanged or returned, are non-refundable, and will not be replaced if expired, lost, stolen, or destroyed. Certificates that have been purchased or sold from any online or other retail establishment, altered or copied are void and will not be accepted. Intended recipient of certificates must go to the Hertz counter to show identification at the time of rental.
no, you likely won't be asked for proof...but there are no guarantees, and you're participating in a fraudulent and prohibited transaction.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:55 pm

So, Hertz has invited me to join the Business Rewards program.

It seems I can still collect my Gold Rewards points, AND additionally collect Business Rewards points towards a certificate.

What is the catch? Will I no longer be able to use the CDPs I have been using?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sokolov
So, Hertz has invited me to join the Business Rewards program.

It seems I can still collect my Gold Rewards points, AND additionally collect Business Rewards points towards a certificate.

What is the catch? Will I no longer be able to use the CDPs I have been using?
That is the catch. To earn Business Rewards credits, you need to rent with your business CDP.

If you use another CDP, you won't earn credits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.