Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I personally remove/uninstall NEVER LOST?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Hey all, just received a car with Never Lost GPS system, which I didn't request. Will be working in a pretty dangerous neighborhood for the weekend and I don't want a rental car broken into because someone thinks they can steal a GPS system. I assume they put these in and out of cars, so it should be removable, no? If yes, how?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:24 pm

Any of them that I've seen are pretty permanently mounted. It would take some doing to take it out and you'd still be left with the mount itself and the external satellite receiver.

Are you too far away to exchange the car? Or perhaps a safe looking parking area is nearby?

-TT
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:25 pm

I think the screws are pretty tamper resistant too, at least the few I've looked at.

I really wish Hertz would move to portable units like the rest of the agencies use.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I don't think you will get it out of the car, it's mounted pretty significantly.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by TekTrek
Any of them that I've seen are pretty permanently mounted. It would take some doing to take it out and you'd still be left with the mount itself and the external satellite receiver.

Are you too far away to exchange the car? Or perhaps a safe looking parking area is nearby?

-TT
Ha, it was a neighborhood branch and I'm not going to complain about a great upgrade. I thought they switched these things in and out of cars, hence the option to add it on the website? If I can't take it off it's not a huge deal, but I'll be pretty bummed if I come back to a broken window because of the thing.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

I could stop by the airport location tomorrow.. Will they have the tool to take if off or do these things stay in specific cars?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:28 pm
In Memoriam

They are part of the car, they do not take them on and off or move them to different cars. Once they are installed, they are in that car forever. I don't think you can just stop in and have it removed, they are wired, for power there's an antenna, they are mounted to the dash, etc

Last edited by cordelli; Jan 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:56 pm

The NL units seem pretty securely and fixedly mounted on the dashboards; I imagine they'd be very difficult to remove.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Interesting. Even the ability to have it laying on the floor would be better, but if I can't, I can't.

Why is the system an option to add if only a small fraction of the fleet have it installed?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
They are part of the car, they do not take them on and off or move them to different cars. Once they are installed, they are in that car forever. I don't think you can just stop in and have it removed, they are wired, for power there's an antenna, they are mounted to the dash, etc
Well, that isn't entirely true. They will move them from time to time and obviously before they get rid of the car. However, they are very difficult to remove and most of the time the wire will go underneath the carpet to the back of the car.

It probably isn't worth trying to remove. Besides, even if you do remove it, you might not be able to re-install it. I imagine they would charge you a small fortune for it.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:25 pm
In Memoriam

Sorry, my bad, they can be moved and removed from the car.

It's still not going to happen by driving into a Hertz office and saying I'm parking the car on the street in a neighborhood where they are going to trash the car to get to it, any chance you can pull this out for me please?

And expect it to happen in ten seconds.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: Lotz
I have the same problem. I asked and they said not removable. I carry a black knit cap and put it over the NL when I park.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I often just refuse a car if it has Neverlost. The problem for me is that on many cars, it impinges on the legroom of my passenger, who is 6'3". It usually knocks against his knee.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:40 am

Yes, they are pretty secure. I had once in a rental and covered with it a black t-shirt. With the black dash, you could not tell it was there at all. Maybe that's an option?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This is a case where Hertz got ahead of the market. I remember getting Neverlost in a Hertz car when a personal Garmin unit was still $300-400. They probably spent a lot of money to outfit the fleet with these things.

Now anybody can walk into the nearest Target and buy one for $89. (We spent about $110 on our most recent one to get lifetime traffic and lifetime maps but there were 5-6 cheaper models.) In fact, the units themselves are cheaper than the maps: we have a 2nd Garmin that has all of the European maps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.