Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

1ways Are Back (NYC-EWR and v.v) - Select Days Only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels

In case you weren't aware, earlier this month Hertz had eliminated all of their longstanding 1 way airport - NYC rates in an effort to move that business to Hertz on Demand.

I'm happy to see tha Hertz has restored the 1way program for NYC & EWR.

The rate has been dropped to $19.99 but now has the following date restrictions:

With a Hertz one-way rental, you can drive yourself between Newark Liberty International Airport and Manhattan for unparalleled savings and flexibility. Just enter the RQ code “MOVEIT” when you rent.
  • Manhattan to Newark one-way special available Saturday, Sunday, Monday.
  • Newark to Manhattan one-way special available Thursday and Friday.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/bb-9367043/drive-to-from-newark-airport-for-$19-99-special-offer
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:36 am

I mentioned this in the Drive-ur-self to the airport thread. This new program has elements of both the old shuttle rate and drive-ur-self programs. As I said in the other thread, the hourly On Demand program is not a real substitute for either of the old programs.

Part of that is the weekend/weekday demand shift between airports and neighborhood stores for the regular Hertz fleet, which is not interchangeable with the HOD fleet, and meets different customer needs. For instance, keep in mind that some people use these shuttle rates to go to the airport, but others are using this to get a cheaper 24 hour rental than the typical Manhattan prices.

I therefore think they did it to try to get more money from the customers, not to push everybody to HOD. Of course, if the prices and participating locations do not offer a good value, the customers won't bite, and only Hertz can decide how badly it wants cars moved.

There are some other key differences with this new version:

EWR only

different days:
-Drive-ur-self worked any day, shuttle rate worked Thurs PM and Sun PM /Mon AM

-Paradoxically, Manhattan outbound works on Saturdays and all day on Sundays. So a car on the special rate could be returned to Manhattan Saturday morning, then soon after given back out for another special rate to EWR.

I thought the whole point of one-way specials is to encourage flow in the direction of demand shifts, where rates are higher. Ex, A car purchased in Miami at the beginning of the winter could be rented at $100/day, one-wayed for a few days in the spring at $5/day to NYC, and then rented in the summer for $100/day again, instead of $25/day if it had stayed in Miami.

same price economy through small SUV
-SUV sounds like a better deal, but if you live in Manhattan, keep in mind that parking and gas are not included, and can be hard and/or expensive to find.

not combinable with the underage coupon:
-This can be remedied because CDPs can be used. You won't get a further discount, but CDP benefits will still apply. (ex, Gold Family waives the underage fee, corporate CDPs that include LDW, AAA CDP gives a free baby seat, etc.)
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Rentals can be up to 24 hours, so if you need a car to run up to Woodbury or get your tree in at a tree farm, it's a great rate for a one day rental,
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:00 am
Suspended

Do they still have this kind of program?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer
Do they still have this kind of program?
We haven't seen it for over a year.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:39 am
Suspended

Avis still has it. $20
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
And as the OP (from 2011) points out, Hertz has 24/7 to service this market.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Very hard to get Hertz 24/7 to book a one way to/from the airports.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Avis still has it. $20
The Avis one is a little different (both better and worse) - NYC-EWR is only a 6 hour rental, where Hertz was 24 hour. But they also have a NYC/EWR/JFK to various city locations for $20 for 4 hour - including fuel!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by docbert
Avis still has it. $20
The Avis one is a little different (both better and worse) - NYC-EWR is only a 6 hour rental, where Hertz was 24 hour. But they also have a NYC/EWR/JFK to various city locations for $20 for 4 hour - including fuel!
And Budget offers a Manhattan-JFK and JFK-Manhattan one-way rate of $40, but it's a 24-hour rental period, and a full tank of gas is included. This can be a great deal if one wants to take a day-trip before dropping the car.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:41 pm

I don't see the Budget one. Where did you find it? Please PM or post the link.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The BCD code for the $40 one-way special is: R344905.

If you Google "Budget JFK one-way" you should get a link to the full terms and conditions.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by CalItalian
We haven't seen it for over a year.
fwiw, I just booked another NYC-EWR 1 way for next week @$24ish a/i. This was a regular (not 24/7) rental using hertz.com

Same old codes & day of week restrictions as mentioned in several old threads. Biggest PITA is that still only select NYC corporate locations accept the 1 way RQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.