Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Driven to airport in rental car after dropping off

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:14 am
Original Poster

So dropped off my rental car yesterday at PHL. As me and my co-worker are getting out of the car, the guy checking us in says we should go ahead and get back in the car and another hertz employee would drive us to our airline. He said it was a service they are starting to offer for Gold, families or just anyone that requested it. Saved the time to get the shuttle bus, but it was a little odd. Tipped him a few bucks.

Is this a common thing?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've never had it happen to me, but others have reported it happening to them in a previous thread or two.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've had it happen once or twice on late-night returns at smaller airports. Usually along the lines of "We have only one bus running and you just missed it...I'll run you over there instead..."
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Plat/LT Gold, MR Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Happened to me in West Palm back in April. I was running late because I had to take care of an accident report, so they drove us to the airport.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
If they offered this at DCA this would save me the all-too frequent scare of missing a flight. It seems no matter how early I leave for that airport, I run into traffic somewhere. Last time I was driving in from Baltimore on a Thursday morning … I will never do that again.

Next time I'll ask if it is possible. Too often, though, there is only one or two guys working returns.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:44 pm

Had it happen to me once at Dulles. Was running quite late and the check in agent ran me over quite speedily. Probably was the sole reason I made the flight.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:16 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
They used to offer this service (I think for a fee). Used it once at DIA when we had 4 guys and golf gear in an SUV. It was great. But the airports didn't like it and it didn't last long.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Had it happen to me once at Dulles. Was running quite late and the check in agent ran me over quite speedily. Probably was the sole reason I made the flight.
Yep this also happened to me at IAD last year. Was returning a mini-van with 6 of us, wasn't running late but loads of luggage, they offered to drive us to the terminal. ^^ Great service, really left a good feeling from the rental. Never happened at LHR though
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Happened to me once at LAX during the morning rush. All their shuttles were already out to the terminals and stuck in traffic. They just decided to throw all their rental vans at the problem to get us out of there.

It was actually quite strange as the van, driven by a Hertz uniformed employee, was inspected on exit and all the scratches pointed out and signed onto a regular rental slip. As they sent all their crappiest vans first, it took quite a while to write them down ><
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
ATL did this for us last August - was traveling with stroller, car seat, and lots of bags. It was nice, but not sure it really saved us that much time or effort vs. just going over to the shuttle.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: MR PremPlat, DL DM 1M, AA Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Always approached at LAX with this offer. I thought it was a way for a couple of employees to make extra $$ because of tips.

I might take them on the offer when I have more than a computer bag with me.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i've had it happen a few times at various locations.....always happens from the fixed base to the terminal at guc & others...
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
I had this offered in SJC this week. Its such a small airport, I thanked them and then said no, I will just walk.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
It's happened to me quite a bit including at LAX!

I always give a nice big tip to the driver aftewards
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
CLT has done it for me a number of times before. Usually on request after just missing a bus and running later than desired for a flight, but they've offered a few times as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.