Wiki Posts
Search

"Driv-ur-self to the Airport" Program

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
"Driv-ur-self to the Airport" Program

Has anyone recently done a Hertz Drive yourself to the airport (JFK, EWR, LGA) out of Manhattan? I searched the forums and the last post I could find was well over a year ago.

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/specia...sp&Category=BB

I have one of these rentals coming up and was wondering if I need to watch out for tolls or if I can use Hertz PlatePass or even my own EZPass transponder.

Also I'm wondering if anyone had any difficulty with the return and getting the discounted rate. It sounds like they attach some sort of coupon to the reservation when you pick it up. As when you book it online it shows a rate of $99+.

The rate plan (HRLYA) include 2.5 hours, up to 30 miles and no need to refuel:

LaGuardia $14.99
JFK $27.99
Newark Liberty $29.99

Last edited by dagrin; Nov 20, 2011 at 10:10 pm
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You will not necessarily have to pay any tolls, depending on which route you take. If you use Plate Pass, Hertz will charge you a fee, in addition to the non-discounted toll.

I have not used this rate, but have used the related ICAP rate to both LGA and EWR. It, however, is only available for pickups in Manhattan on Sunday afternoon/evening or Monday morning, but allows for a full 24-hour rental. It does not include fuel, and it's more expensive than the Drive-Ur-Self rate to LGA, but less expensive than that rate to EWR.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3mm, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I use this rate almost once a week. It works great. Things to note:

1) You are responsible for tolls. If you use plate pass you will be billed the service fee on top of the toll. I usually use cash (so I can get the receipt to bill back to my company), but you could bring your own EZ-pass with you no problem. Just remember to keep the Hertz EZ-pass in the box, so it won't be scanned.

2) You NEED the coupon for this. The HLE will give you the coupon when you pick up the car. Sometimes they forget, BE SURE to ask for it, because without it you will be charged the full rate ($220, which is what your contract will read)

3) Everyone at LGA knows how to process you when you arrive. Sometimes JFK takes a little longer as not all the return agents know how it works.

4) You do not need to refil gas.

5) if you are in a hurry when you pick up, tell them it's a drive yourself to the airport, and that you'll take whatever car is easiest. They usually hurry up for you.

Overall it's a great program (especially when packing lots of golf bags or ski gear.)

Hopefully that helps. Enjoy.

-A
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help and advice!
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:52 am

I can't help but wonder if Hertz gave you the worst car on the lot, as is common for one-ways, especially if it's a short trip.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I can't help but wonder if Hertz gave you the worst car on the lot, as is common for one-ways, especially if it's a short trip.
If I'm returning the car in less than 2 hours, I don't really care what the give me.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 3mm, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Lifetime Gold
They always honor my class request (usually a Q4), when I pick up for drive ur self. Additionally, sometimes the need to move cars around, twice I've gotten a Mercedes C or E class that needed to be at JFK.

The only time I don't get what I reserved for drive ur self, is when I explicitly say I'm in a hurry, and ask for whatever is easiest to get out of the lot (manhattan lots have elevators, so getting cars takes time)

-A
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:21 am

usually a Q4

Q4 means small SUV, and yes, that is an option under this promotion, for the same price as the other cars.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

usually a Q4

Q4 means small SUV, and yes, that is an option under this promotion, for the same price as the other cars.
My reservation is for a small SUV. It will be interesting to see what they give me. Here is to hoping they need to move something from the fun or prestige collection out to LGA
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:00 pm

is it advisable to add on these two? Because with those two fees, it makes more sense to call a car service company.

Loss Damage Waiver $5.00 per rental
Liability insurance supplement (LIS) $12.95 per rental
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:45 pm

LDW you shouldn't need - your credit card should take care of collision (For example, MasterCard is for any car/SUV under $50k except specialty like pickup truck, 15 passenger van, etc.). I would check with your credit card.

Liability supplements the insurance the car company gives you, generally state minimums ($25,000/$50,000/$10,000 single injury/total injury/total property). It's not too risky for a short airport one-way, especially if you do not have too high a net worth (higher net worth means better chance of getting sued, especially for 'bad backs' and the like).

If you have car insurance, check what they provide for liability and collision with car rentals(some cover liability, some both, some neither). They might cover you as good as the rental company would, albeit with a deductible.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:41 pm
Suspended

I used this rate as recently as last week but tried about 30 different date/time/pick-up and drop off locations (EWR/LGA/JFK) combinations today and I can't get HRLYA to work even once.

Moreover, the rate code (RQ) HRLYA used to be be prominently displayed in the Special Offers of Hertz and I don't see it anymore.

I looked back through my emails and found one that said the rate should be good until the end of the year.

I wonder if it was pulled early (perhaps to get people to use Hertz On Demand instead).

Can anyone get HRLYA to work? Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Just an update to my earlier post...

I went to the Hertz location in Manhattan where I have booked HRLYA in the past. At first the agent said that they would have told the location if the rate plan had been pulled. She also said they would have collected the vouchers.

But, she tried and tried and tried to book a reservation using different dates/times, etc. and she couldn't book a single one. She couldn't even find the rate plan/code any longer. So, by the end of my visit, she thought the offer may, indeed, be gone.

Maybe Hertz got rid of HRLYA to encourage people to use Hertz on Demand (now that there are one-way rentals available for HOD)? Just a thought....

I wrote to Customer Care but haven't heard back. Any other thoughts out there????

Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:26 am

It could also be greed. Hertz may think if people are going to do this trip anyway, why give them discounts? The thing is, people will do the trip in a different way. If they pay $45 to a taxi driver, it means Hertz will get nothing and lose out.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:38 pm
Suspended

It could also be greed. Hertz may think if people are going to do this trip anyway, why give them discounts? The thing is, people will do the trip in a different way. If they pay $45 to a taxi driver, it means Hertz will get nothing and lose out.
It's just strange that they blasted an email about it and seemed pretty gung ho and then completely pulled it.

I think they prefer people use Hertz On Demand instead since HOD now offers one way rental to the airport. Just a guess....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.