Search

Hertz eCommerce wants your opinion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:04 pm
Company Representative, CashSwap
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz, Avis, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, United, JetBlue
Hertz eCommerce wants your opinion.

As some of Hertz's most active and vocal customers, the eCommerce team is extremely interested in hearing your thoughts on the hertz.com online reservation process. Is there anything you want to see differently? Example: As a frequent renter, is there anything Hertz could change that would make your experience faster?

Thanks in advance and we look forward to hearing from you.

Mike
Hertz Car Rental

Last edited by mmcdowell; Sep 16, 2011 at 7:10 am
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
One of the irritating things about the Hertz system is the way it displays rates until you click all the way through for details.

I have to click on a car to get a page of all the options I never choose and have a subtotal there.

I have to submit that page and and then the taxes are added on and a realistic total shows up.

Should I want to start playing with discount codes, promotion codes, etc to get the best deal, I have to repeat the entire process over and over again each time.

At avis once you click on the rate the second page has your total on it

At Enterprise, the total is displayed on the first page at the car selection.

I don't need booster seats, don't need a wheelchair accessible bus, don't need any of that stuff, I shouldn't have to stop at that page each time I look at a rate trying a different code.

Otherwise it's a great site, just way too much clicking to get a total price when some others show it on the first page.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
One of the irritating things about the Hertz system is the way it displays rates until you click all the way through for details.

I have to click on a car to get a page of all the options I never choose and have a subtotal there.

I have to submit that page and and then the taxes are added on and a realistic total shows up.

Should I want to start playing with discount codes, promotion codes, etc to get the best deal, I have to repeat the entire process over and over again each time.

At avis once you click on the rate the second page has your total on it

At Enterprise, the total is displayed on the first page at the car selection.

I don't need booster seats, don't need a wheelchair accessible bus, don't need any of that stuff, I shouldn't have to stop at that page each time I look at a rate trying a different code.

Otherwise it's a great site, just way too much clicking to get a total price when some others show it on the first page.
I agree. The clicking and the redundant pages are very frustrating.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Mike C.,

That's great feedback right out of the gate. Awesome. Looking forward to more.

Mike

Last edited by mmcdowell; Sep 16, 2011 at 7:09 am
Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Spg.com has a great think, that on one page it shows you all the different prices for each discount code, instead of every time putting all the info again, you put in your promotion codes in your profile, and every time you do a search you get all the rates on one page.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:33 pm

i agree with both of those strong points made above
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
1. Fix the "Adrenaline Collection" so when booking car from this collection that it doesn't say "or similar". I don't like the confirmation saying "or similar". It can lead to a heated conversation at the counter.

2. Similar to the other comments, have the total listed as soon as you have selected dates and are at the list of cars. I don't mind too much about the taxes and that not being included, but it's annoying how sometimes 3 cars will have the price listed, but then other times 1/2 the list and sometimes no cars on the list, and you have to click through twice to see the price and then go back and forward many times to get prices.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:02 am

1) If I pick up and drop off in 2 generic locations (i.e. I put 'Philadelphia, PA' instead of 'PHL'), make it clear which site is the pick-up and which is the drop-off when choosing from the list of locations. Right now it just says 'location results', and can be confusing. If you need more clarification, let me know

2) Display the number of rentals until the 600 bonus points are posted for 5*/PC members

3) Give prices for ALL cars available on the price page, not just the first ten (aka the first page of results). When sorting it by something different than the default, it will still give the 'select for quote' option for cars that weren't originally part of the top ten results, and you have to click twice (once to the add-ons page and once to the total price page) just to see the base price.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:38 pm

Some rental companies divulge the approximate fuel economy of each car class, number of passengers, and number of different sized suitcases that can fit in the trunk.

Common sense might dictate a lot of these things. Ex, Does one rent an Explorer really expecting 35 mpg, or expect an Aveo to swallow 5 large rollaboards? And when those unreasonable expectations aren't met, is it actually the rental company's fault? Still, including the information might be a nice touch.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
When viewing a single offer in the "Special Offers" section, the "Quote It" button is implemented as an JavaScript onclick handler on a div element, which means it's impossible to control how the new window opens. It should be a traditional "<a href" setup, with target="_blank" if it really needs to be in a new window.

On the "#1 Awards" tab of /rentacar/emember/modify/awardsTab.do , I can't activate the radio buttons by clicking on the labels for them; the label text should be in a "<label for='btn0'>text here</label>" element.

The sidebar on the left is kind of inconsistent; some of the entries are clickable, some have the little fly-out that has clickable elements, but all of them show the "hand" cursor.

Every section has a different header style. "Products & Services" has a small-caps header with a little box shadow around it (and I find it kind of ugly). "Vehicle Guide" has a little yellow rule under it. Some of the sections don't have headers at all.

None of these are real pressing issues, I'm just professionally picky about web standards.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hi Mike-

Two unrelated pieces of feedback for you come to mind:

1. The receipt retrieval system is really unintuitive and buried in a wierd place. I've been renting from Hertz for a while and I only recently discovered it. Intuitively, I would expect to be able to retrieve the receipt for a rental by going under the View/Modify/Cancel Reservation tab and seeing a historical list of rentals.

As a follow-up to easy online retrieval of receipts, it'd be great to have a profile flag that allows you to enroll in automatic delivery of receipts by email.

2. The site doesn't seem to always (ever) apply "PC" codes to the quoted rental rate. The Hertz location has to do this and they don't seem to do it consistently so this leads to a lot of wasted time.

#2 is a nice to have, #1 seems like base functionality to me. At a minimum for #1, I think you could greatly enhance the end user experience by re-evaluating where you surface the receipt search UI.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks....and a question or 2.

Thanks so much for all the great feedback. As you probably are aware, Hertz made some updates to the website in the meantime and is in the process of incorporating some of the other suggestions given.

First I have to ask a follow-up question to bdesmond and fresar.
Bdesmond, when you say that the website never applies the PC and you have to have it done at the counter, can you give me an example of that?

Fresar, you asked to see multiple PC codes applied and their rates shown on the same screen. We think this would be very difficult given the number of different vehicles and options already displayed but wanted to see if you had an opinion on how this would work visually.
As part of the refresh of the website's look and feel, the small issue with inconsistency of the headers on each section has been addressed. They all are the same now.

The vehicle guide changes to add fuel and other sizing criteria is also now underway. We agree that this is a very helpful thing to do.

The receipts section is now under review. The form interface is being considered for a rework given the comments about a lack of intuitiveness.

Other items that stood out as candidates for a quick review were the comments about clicking text next to radio buttons on the Awards form, e-mailing of receipts, and adding Pick-up and Drop-off to the search results page based on what is being searched for.

Some of the other issues, such as not making you go through the Extras page every time and showing more rates are being discussed as well.

I just wanted to give you an update that Hertz is extremely appreciative about the members of the Flyertalk site and is listening to what you have to say.

Mike
Hertz Car Rental

Last edited by mmcdowell; Sep 16, 2011 at 7:09 am
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:05 am

Mike-

Try PC 144314.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Brian,

144314 is the PC that waives the Young Renters fee. If you attempt to use is when you are not logged in as a member, you get a message that it will be applied at the counter. This is because the fee is currently not quoted on the website as we do not ask you for your age. As a result, there is nothing yet to discount.

When logged in as a member, I used the PC and it was reflected in the itinerary without the message about applying at the counter. I am guessing this is because it can evaluate the scenario and knows that the fee does not apply to me. If I was in the target age group, I believe it would just show the same "applied at counter" message.

Is there another PC that is behaving like this?

Thanks.

Mike
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by mmcdowell
Brian,

144314 is the PC that waives the Young Renters fee. If you attempt to use is when you are not logged in as a member, you get a message that it will be applied at the counter. This is because the fee is currently not quoted on the website as we do not ask you for your age. As a result, there is nothing yet to discount.

When logged in as a member, I used the PC and it was reflected in the itinerary without the message about applying at the counter. I am guessing this is because it can evaluate the scenario and knows that the fee does not apply to me. If I was in the target age group, I believe it would just show the same "applied at counter" message.

Is there another PC that is behaving like this?

Thanks.

Mike
Well I'm always logged in. I've never had it reflected in the itinerary. Is there an issue if you're also using a CDP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.