Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WARNING - Hertz charging for car wash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:50 pm

I was charged that fee this past week. I did a one way in a Toyota Camry from PNS (3/15) to SRQ (3/17). The car had some bugs on the front from driving at night and I left some papers in the back seat. I was hit $20 and apparently my 5 star status didn't do me any good in getting them to remove the charge. I guess I am going to start running them through a gas station car wash prior to returning.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TPA_813
I was charged that fee this past week. I did a one way in a Toyota Camry from PNS (3/15) to SRQ (3/17). The car had some bugs on the front from driving at night and I left some papers in the back seat. I was hit $20 and apparently my 5 star status didn't do me any good in getting them to remove the charge. I guess I am going to start running them through a gas station car wash prior to returning.
I would start renting from others and then send copies of the receipts to corporate.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by TPA_813
You'd best get a lube and oil change while you're at it. Seriously, that's ridiculous and I hope you take the time to complain about it to Corporate.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:34 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Rental at LAS for trip to Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks. Car was OK. It snowed on the way back to LAS and, of course, there was some salt and road grime on the car -- nothing unusual for winter driving (actually fairly mild). When I went to return the car I was told they would assess a $25 cleaning charge because they would have to do additional/exceptional work to clean it -- but then suggested I go to the car wash down the street, which I did. I chose the cheapest quick wash and the car was spotless afterward (and that would have been the equivalent of Hertz's wash, at the very least).
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
Rental at LAS for trip to Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks. Car was OK. It snowed on the way back to LAS and, of course, there was some salt and road grime on the car -- nothing unusual for winter driving (actually fairly mild). When I went to return the car I was told they would assess a $25 cleaning charge because they would have to do additional/exceptional work to clean it -- but then suggested I go to the car wash down the street, which I did. I chose the cheapest quick wash and the car was spotless afterward (and that would have been the equivalent of Hertz's wash, at the very least).
Was this necessary to bump a 4 year old thread and post a new thread?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:36 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
Was this necessary to bump a 4 year old thread and post a new thread?
Yes. Shows that this it's happened to more than one person and in more than one location.

Hertz ironically today issued a refund and then some. Imagine that.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
Did you submit the car-wash bill to Hertz, and seek reimbursement for an on-the-road expense?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Did you submit the car-wash bill to Hertz, and seek reimbursement for an on-the-road expense?
They just coughed it up today.

Funny you should mention the expenses. In 44 years of renting I have had more "on the road" expenses to repair faulty cars in the last five years than in the past -- and I don't mean replacing a light that burned out. Missing gas cap at rental, defective wiper blades, filters, sidewall tire blowout, fuses, key batteries, washing dirty vehicles and so on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.