Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Toyotas Pulled Until Further Notice?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Just picked up a Corolla at YYZ and was turned back at the gatehouse.

Had to take a Mazda since they staff here say all their Toyotas are now on the do not rent list due to the pedal recall. If you rent from YYZ you know the fleet consists mainly of Toyotas or junk.

Might be a good time to look at National...
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Mazda is not junk. I'll be glad if given a Mazda for rental. A Mazda Protege or Mazda3 has more power and much better handling than Corolla (although uses more gas).

In case you didn't realize, new Mazdas have 3 yr, 80,000km warranty, whereas Toyotas are only 3 yr, 60,000km. That tells you something about Mazda reliability (which is very good).
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I wasn't knocking Mazda. I'm actually a fan. However they are not in great supply at YYZ. I got lucky.

If the Toyota ban continues, I'll be seeing a lot more Impalas than Mazdas in the future, which is not good news.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Good for me -as I usually request to be changed from a Toyota.... Not really my favorite cars.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:18 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
With Avis and Enterprise and Hertz and Alamo and National all pulling their Toyotas, it's going to be pretty hard to find one to rent for a while.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hertz Five Star, National Emerald Club, Avis Preferred, Aeroplan
Hertz at YYZ is in serious trouble since a lot of their fleet consists of Toyota vehicles. If they pulled them all, then Hertz will run out of cars in a lot of circumstances. Hertz's selection at YYZ is going to be terrible since most of their other vehicles only consist of Accents, Impalas, and G6s. Mazda's are very rare at YYZ and I find most of the Mazda's they have are base models only (don't even come with cruise control).
Old Jan 28, 2010, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same action re Toyota for enterprise.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
Kind of ironic isn't it? Long long ago it seemed like you could only rent American cars and when they start adding in Japanese cars (presumably for reliability) this happens.

I'm not anti American or anything though - probably pro German if anything.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ridiculous. Another case of paralyzing fears of lawsuits and utterly moronic overreaction. I'll gladly sign a waiver if they continue giving me camries.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Budget sent an e-mail this morning explaining their reasons.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Picked up a Camry on Monday night from my HLE and turned it back on Tuesday. I joked about the accelerator thing to someone (not at Hertz). Hertz folks didn't make any mention of taking it out of service or anything, but maybe that mandate didn't come until Wed or Thurs....
Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Ridiculous. Another case of paralyzing fears of lawsuits and utterly moronic overreaction. I'll gladly sign a waiver if they continue giving me camries.
Allegedly 17 fatalities in the US potentially due to the accelerator pedal problem. At least if you are driving a 'gear stick' / manual transmission you can slip the clutch if the accelerator sticks (that would be a normal reaction) ..in an automatic it would cause a degree of panic.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hammythehammer
Allegedly 17 fatalities in the US potentially due to the accelerator pedal problem. At least if you are driving a 'gear stick' / manual transmission you can slip the clutch if the accelerator sticks (that would be a normal reaction) ..in an automatic it would cause a degree of panic.
34 fatalities in US due to lightning strikes in 2009.
http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/fatalities.htm
I'll take my chances with Toyota.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
34 fatalities in US due to lightning strikes in 2009.
http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/fatalities.htm
I'll take my chances with Toyota.
Unfortunately no one can recall you, perform minor work to your body, stopping the potential problem of lightning strikes.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: DL FO, US Silver, MR Plat, HH Silver
Originally Posted by hammythehammer
It only causes panic because most people don't know what to do in that situation, which surprises me because I learned it in Driver's Ed. Simply put the car in neutral and pull over. Once stopped put it in park and kill the engine. You'll hit the rev limiter while in neutral, which isn't really that big of a deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.