Wiki Posts
Search

Hybrid Car (Prius or Altima) rental at SEA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Hybrid Car (Prius or Altima) rental at SEA

We are planning a weeklong trip through Western Washington and Western BC in January, arriving / departing by plane in SEA.

Thinking of renting a fuel efficient / hybrid car that offers a comfortable ride (good on-road behavior and powerful nough for the mountain roads) for this trip.

At the moment I am undecided whether to rent a Prius or a Altima Hybrid (needs more fuel and costs $20 more).

Does somebody know if they come with special options (like rear view cameras, winter tires) when renting in Seattle? What model are they usually (new Prius, 2010 Altima?)?

What about driving on ice / snow with a hybrid – do they have good tires and are good to drive? Or should we go with a 4wd (but the cheapest one is over $100 more for the week)?

And one last question: Is it even allowed to take a car from the US to Canada and back? Do I have to let the rental company know? I am a Hertz Gold and normally just pick up the car without meeting a counter representative.

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:59 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Not sure of the SEA-specific situation (I'm as far from there as you can get), but here's my experience with the Priuses I've had from Hertz in Florida.

There's a mix of 2009 and 2010 cars in the pool. All Priuses have traction control that you can't disable (to keep the drive system from spinning without resistance). The 2009 ones are pretty close to the highest trim level, with rear view camera and proximity keys. The 2010 one I had last week was the lowest trim level, with single-door proximity key, and not much else. The 2010 also feels quite a bit more polished than the 2009, more substantial, and a bit more powerful (the 2010 feels like the 2009 Altima I drove once).

Not sure about winter tires or mountain roads; we don't have winter or mountains here.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:39 am

You can drive into Canada as long as you aren't Canadian (Canadians cannot drive American cars into Canada). I don't think you need to tell Hertz that you are going there but just ask when you get to the counter in case something has changed.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
I arrived into SEA this past Thursday and Hertz tried to pawn off a Hybrid on me. Being in a rush and with no desire to learn new car features, I asked for a car with a key. (I've driven the others before and they're ok. Problem was when I got to the car it was in an extremely dark area of the parking area and extremely hard to see anything on the dash board) At least I can confirm they have them.

As for traveling across the CAN/US border, I was told once by a Hertz agent to let them know I will be taking it cross border. You will also want to ensure the registration is in fact in the glove compartment.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
Priuses are pretty underpowered. The Altima is decent. If you're going up a lot of hills in a hybrid (like, a BIG mountain) you might deplete the battery which means you're stuck with a VERY mediocre gas engine.

So I'd take the Altima from that point of view alone.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We were just upgraded to a Prius in a one-week rental at BHM. I must say we liked the car and when I punched the "power" option it had plenty of power. I can't speak for its handling on snow or ice - the conditions within 100 miles or so of Vancouver can at times be fairly treacherous, due to various combinations of snow and ice at times right around 32 F / 0 C degrees. YMMV.

OTOH I'm the bearer of confusing news. B.C. drivers are technically required to use snow tires, i.e. winter tires rather than merely all-season tires, or carry chains on certain highways between October and April. It's discussed in this thread.

Unfortunately, you can't even check out the routes where they're required because the BC Ministry of Highways apparently doesn't bother to post a list, according to this recent article.

Still, it's pretty easy to guess that those signs are posted on most routes outside the Lower Mainland, i.e. the highway North to Whistler and Highways 1, 3, and 5 "beyond Hope." I've seen them many times over the years.

I've driven our car on various highways in B.C. with our all-season tires and never had a problem. OTOH if you're as careful about these things as I try to be, you'll check this out with Hertz in advance, since you're renting a car to drive in a foreign country in particular. It's certainly not uncommon for SEA rentals to be driven to BC, and it'll be big business during the Olympics, so they should have answers or provide chains in the trunk, which would satisfy the requirements and be something you'd probably never need. You could even buy your own chains - maybe cheaper than "renting" a set from Hertz if it's allowed.

Others may have better advice.

Cheers,
Fredd

Last edited by Fredd; Dec 12, 2009 at 4:22 pm Reason: clarifying "winter tires"
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by astan100
Priuses are pretty underpowered. The Altima is decent. If you're going up a lot of hills in a hybrid (like, a BIG mountain) you might deplete the battery which means you're stuck with a VERY mediocre gas engine.
i don't know anything about the altima, but as a prius owner i know that it isn't underpowered at all. the gas engine runs about 95% of the time during normal driving anyway; battery driving occurs only at low speeds or downhill.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Fredd
We were just upgraded to a Prius in a one-week rental at BHM. I must say we liked the car and when I punched the "power" option it had plenty of power. I can't speak for its handling on snow or ice - the conditions within 100 miles or so of Vancouver can at times be fairly treacherous, due to various combinations of snow and ice at times right around 32 F / 0 C degrees. YMMV.

OTOH I'm the bearer of confusing news. B.C. drivers are technically required to use snow tires, i.e. winter tires rather than merely all-season tires, or carry chains on certain highways between October and April. It's discussed in this thread.

Unfortunately, you can't even check out the routes where they're required because the BC Ministry of Highways apparently doesn't bother to post a list, according to this recent article.

Still, it's pretty easy to guess that those signs are posted on most routes outside the Lower Mainland, i.e. the highway North to Whistler and Highways 1, 3, and 5 "beyond Hope." I've seen them many times over the years.

I've driven our car on various highways in B.C. with our all-season tires and never had a problem. OTOH if you're as careful about these things as I try to be, you'll check this out with Hertz in advance, since you're renting a car to drive in a foreign country in particular. It's certainly not uncommon for SEA rentals to be driven to BC, and it'll be big business during the Olympics, so they should have answers or provide chains in the trunk, which would satisfy the requirements and be something you'd probably never need. You could even buy your own chains - maybe cheaper than "renting" a set from Hertz if it's allowed.

Others may have better advice.

Cheers,
Fredd

Thanks for that info, Fredd! Wasnīt aware of that law!

Does anybody know if you can get a car with snow tires at Hertz SEA as there arenīt any options for tires or chains when booking online?

And we were planning to drive up to Whistler - probably one of those highways you will need snow tires for.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU
Thanks for that info, Fredd! Wasnīt aware of that law!

Does anybody know if you can get a car with snow tires at Hertz SEA as there arenīt any options for tires or chains when booking online?

And we were planning to drive up to Whistler - probably one of those highways you will need snow tires for.
Mrs. Fredd reminded me not to make too big a deal about the winter tires. You'll find a lot of BC residents - maybe most - using all-season tires. You'll also notice at the bottom of that BC-based news article that the provincial car insurance monopoly, ICBC, states that the insurance of BC residents would still be valid, even if they were in an accident with all-season tires.

I've reflected on this, and now suggest that, if you make it clear to the counter at SEA that you intend to take the car into Canada, I'd think you'd be okay with the all-season tires, if that's what they provide. The road to Whistler, like most highways around BC, is maintained to a good standard IMHO and I wouldn't hesitate to drive up there tomorrow with all-season tires.

Cheers,
Fredd

Last edited by Fredd; Dec 13, 2009 at 7:55 am Reason: clarification
Old Dec 13, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Also worth noting that just because you reserve a certain hybrid no guarantee that is the one you'll get. I've reserved a Prius and ended up in an Altima, and reserved an Altima and ended up in a Camry (non hybrid).
Old Dec 14, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
Just didn't want you guys to think I'm crazy about running out of power on hills:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...-prius-review/

The key paragraph:
"Climbing the road to the summit of Mt. Charleston, the Prius quickly drained its batteries. It could groan no faster than a pathetic 57mph. Once the battery boost ceased to exist, the CVT transmission buzzed louder, and louder, reducing fuel consumption to 17.5mpg. Throttle response ceased to exist, and momentum became the name of the game."

So it all depends where you're driving this thing I think. If you're going to do some serious elevation changes (when it's not snowing) then you might run into some issues with any hybrid (not just the prius). If the mountains you hit requires chains, then I doubt it matters how fast any car is

All this said, the prius is an awesome piece of technology. Have a good trip.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:07 pm

Likely not a big deal to most people, but I was given a Prius once and returned it because seeing the bar of the hatch back when viewing the rearview mirror was distracting and annoying - couldn't get used to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.