Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

getting what i reserved - a sign of the bad economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2009, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

until the last year or so, i would never get what i reserved at hertz. if i reserved a subcompact, i'd usually get at least a midsize, and most often i'd get something larger (like a taurus or suv) or better (like a prius). i've always chalked it up to (1) i'm gold (probably not a major factor) and (2) hertz can only rent out what it has on hand. the only time they gave me what i reserved was when they gave me an suv/minivan for a rental that required a long drive at night - i wasn't comfortable driving it or wasting the gas, so i asked for something else and got an edsel (yes, i'm exaggerating).

so i always chuckled at the "list your free upgrades here" thread - the dynamics of car rentals means that what is available when you pick up rarely matches what was available when you reserved, and there is far less risk to the company in upgrading instead of downgrading.

yet this year, while i've rented much less than before, i have always received EXACTLY what i reserved. there could be many reasons, i suppose. with the economy down, there may simply be more cars on the lot so my subcompact is more likely to be there. also, i expect the subs to be easier to maintain than minivans/suvs, creating an incentive to rent out more of the former.

on the other hand, perhaps hertz is focusing on pres circle or other higher "elite" levels, to the neglect of gold (which anyone can get for free anyway). and maybe they've finally caught on that i wasn't spending the extra cash for my quasi-premium rentals (though this doesn't seem it would be worth the extra effort to maintain sufficient control over their inventory to guarantee me a particular car class).

this isn't a rant; i am, after all, getting what i ask for. but i'm curious - is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:16 am

It depends on the location, rental company, and time of day. I personally often wish I was getting exactly what I ordered. There are many times it's just one or two people travelling with minimal luggage, and I'm not thrilled to see I'll have to pay for more gas. However, a few times an upgrade doesn't annoy me so much. This is either because it's a situation where extra passenger and luggage space could be helpful, or because I'm paying a higher daily rate for the car.

A few weeks ago I booked a subcompact with my neighborhood Budget for pick up near closing time. The clerk said, "I see you booked the smallest one. We don't have any small cars today. I'll give you an upgrade free of charge to a brand new 1 k mi Mitsubishi Galant that came from the airport this morning." This large car was for only 2 people and backpack. It accelerated surprisingly quickly. (good joke- those vroom vrooming noises are the gas money getting sucked out of one's wallet) But it was the only car left. And I'm guessing bringing in another car would hurt their utilization. So it is perhaps easier to couple inbound one-ways with the day's other customers.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Usually I'm quite happy to get what I reserve...I nearly always reserve midsize and I hate getting large SUV's that are more difficult to see out of, difficult to street park, etc.

I didn't notice any unusual upgrade activity (or lack thereof) during the recent recession or even now that we're supposedly out of it. Perhaps it's a situation where the rental agencies haven't bought a large bulk of 2010 cars yet and when they see a subcompact renter they'd rather give you a lower-mileage car. I would hypothesize that the mids and fulls are utilized the most since those are what most corporate contracts call for.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:15 pm
Company Representative, CashSwap

Programs: Hertz, Avis, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, United, JetBlue
More cars in the fleet

More than likely, this is a positive outcome from Hertz buying a lot of new cars in an effort to better satisfy customer demand.

Our CEO, Mark Frissora, has been emphasizing the plans to do this for several months now so it is good to get some positive feedback.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Have the new cars made it into fleets yet? My most recent rentals were late Oct / early Nov - one each with Hertz, National, and Avis - and all of them were higher-miles cars. If new ones are beginning to arrive, that would be most excellent news. ^
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:29 pm
LDR

Programs: UA 1k, AA lifetime Gold, Marriott lifetime plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
I didn't notice any unusual upgrade activity (or lack thereof) during the recent recession or even now that we're supposedly out of it.
I also have not noticed any unusual upgrade activity. If anything, my personal experience has been that I've received better cars during the recession. I chalked this up to fewer people reserving the more expensive cars...
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:47 pm

Programs: Hertz Platinum (Invited)
Have the new cars made it into fleets yet? My most recent rentals were late Oct / early Nov - one each with Hertz, National, and Avis - and all of them were higher-miles cars. If new ones are beginning to arrive, that would be most excellent news. ^
I received a 2010 VW Jetta with under 1K miles last weekend at an HLE in Phoenix. Also, 3 weeks ago i was given a 2010 Nissan Maxima with 300 miles in Phoenix. ^
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Ironically I'm getting less than what I reserve and am happy about it.

I reserve full size cars with sirius and have almost always received a Fusion, Malibu, G6, etc. These are the perfect size cars for what I want. Last year it was always reserve Standard and receive a SUV, so it's flipped this year.

In more good news, my last three rentals have been in cars with less than 3000 miles, all 2010 models. Good job Hertz. ^
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:24 pm

Rented Full-Size, Got A Compact

In August I rented a full size at SFO for 5 days, and all they had were compacts.

They had the longest line so I went to the self-serve terminal. The woman at the self-serve said I could not use the self-serve because it only had compacts and I reserved a full size. So I wait in line one hour, and I am told they only have compacts.

I could have taken the compact without waiting an hour.

Then two weeks later the Hertz rental in Pittsburgh breaks down.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by BF263533
In August I rented a full size at SFO for 5 days, and all they had were compacts.

They had the longest line so I went to the self-serve terminal. The woman at the self-serve said I could not use the self-serve because it only had compacts and I reserved a full size. So I wait in line one hour, and I am told they only have compacts.

I could have taken the compact without waiting an hour.

Then two weeks later the Hertz rental in Pittsburgh breaks down.
I'd be very happy to get what I reserved. I generally rent midsize (Mazda 626 or similar). In November, I was "upgraded" to Nissan Versa, Toyota Matrix, Toyota Corolla, Mazda 5 and Toyota Siena. Versa and Matrix compete with the Ford Fiesta in the rest of the world so are nothing more than semi-upgrades to the Kia Aveo. The Corolla competes with the Pontiac G6, and is certainly not an upgrade to the Mazda. As for the Mazda 5 and Toyota Siena, if I wanted a minivan, I'd rent a minivan.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:58 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
I always reserve A class. As a PC, I used to receive B or C class consistently. This year, I have been receiving C or above on EVERY rental. The only upgrade I paid for was to a mini-van when they were a bit short on cars. Every other time, the booth or board has given me exactly what I wanted - B, YB, C, YC, D, F

I do see more market segmentation at Hertz and like it as a high frequency renter. It may turn off some occasional renters, but most of them are forced into Hertz by corporate policy or price rather than by choice.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:01 am

A few years ago, when I got what I reserved (rather than the usual one-class upgrade that was policy for a Hertz Gold member) and asked for something else and commented about the usual upgrade, the clerk (I think this was at LGB) told me that they had a new policy - "no upgrades." If they don't have what you reserved, they'll give you a car in the better class, but not as a matter of course.

I've noticed in the past couple of years, though, that they have a wider variety of cars, even at the same location, in a class, than they used to. So even if you get what you reserved, you might still get a car that you don't like. Fortunately, I've usually been able to switch, but sometimes I've had to wait for them to bring another car in from the off-site storage lot.

You can put a preference in your profile that they look at sometimes. You don't get much of a say with the on-line form, but if you call they can add more information to your preferences. I told them to put in big bold print NO VANS OR SUVS!!!!!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by crabbing
until the last year or so, i would never get what i reserved at hertz. if i reserved a subcompact, i'd usually get at least a midsize, and most often i'd get something larger (like a taurus or suv) or better (like a prius). i've always chalked it up to (1) i'm gold (probably not a major factor) and (2) hertz can only rent out what it has on hand. the only time they gave me what i reserved was when they gave me an suv/minivan for a rental that required a long drive at night - i wasn't comfortable driving it or wasting the gas, so i asked for something else and got an edsel (yes, i'm exaggerating).

so i always chuckled at the "list your free upgrades here" thread - the dynamics of car rentals means that what is available when you pick up rarely matches what was available when you reserved, and there is far less risk to the company in upgrading instead of downgrading.

yet this year, while i've rented much less than before, i have always received EXACTLY what i reserved. there could be many reasons, i suppose. with the economy down, there may simply be more cars on the lot so my subcompact is more likely to be there. also, i expect the subs to be easier to maintain than minivans/suvs, creating an incentive to rent out more of the former.

on the other hand, perhaps hertz is focusing on pres circle or other higher "elite" levels, to the neglect of gold (which anyone can get for free anyway). and maybe they've finally caught on that i wasn't spending the extra cash for my quasi-premium rentals (though this doesn't seem it would be worth the extra effort to maintain sufficient control over their inventory to guarantee me a particular car class).

this isn't a rant; i am, after all, getting what i ask for. but i'm curious - is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
I too have noticed the Hertz upgrades have gone down the path of non existent. I am currently renting in Boston...and the cars have no power seats, high mileage and bare minimum amenities. It is all in the location, FL does not even honor elite locations in the garage which as a Presidential Circle, my car was the last car in the row...walking past empty stalls. So...I am no longer that loyal to Hertz..will rent from other companies if the price is right. Having been Presidential Circle since 1999.....first time I slipped to 5 Star...but no benefits...makes it an open game for the other companies.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mcwhdeb
I too have noticed the Hertz upgrades have gone down the path of non existent. I am currently renting in Boston...and the cars have no power seats, high mileage and bare minimum amenities. It is all in the location, FL does not even honor elite locations in the garage which as a Presidential Circle, my car was the last car in the row...walking past empty stalls. So...I am no longer that loyal to Hertz..will rent from other companies if the price is right. Having been Presidential Circle since 1999.....first time I slipped to 5 Star...but no benefits...makes it an open game for the other companies.
I have seen very few upgrades recently. Rather suprised as a PC since I thought an Upgrade was in the benefits.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Usually I'm quite happy to get what I reserve...I nearly always reserve midsize and I hate getting large SUV's that are more difficult to see out of, difficult to street park, etc.
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
I told them to put in big bold print NO VANS OR SUVS!!!!!
After reading some of these comments, I feel like I have been living in an alternative universe. Aside from my bewilderment at people being unhappy about getting larger vehicles than they reserved (which personally I don't understand since even when I am traveling alone and not with the whole family of six, I will take all the space and crumple room I can get), where are these Hertz lots that lately have SUV's and no smaller cars?

For the past year or so, I have virtually had to stop renting from Hertz in the US because of precisely the opposite problem. Every time I go to book, all of the SUV options are either showing as completely unavailable (most of the time) or so astronomically priced as to be unviable. Some of the vehicles I used to rent regularly from Hertz (Lincoln Navigator, Ford Expedition & Excursion) are still on the booking page, but NEVER show as available.

So, where, when and under what circumstances have you been offered SUV's? I would love to take them off your hands...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.