Reload this Page >

Buy your earplugs; coqui found on O`ahu

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 1:25 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

http://www.khon2.com/home/ticker/34064624.html

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/11200/40/
Old Nov 7, 2008, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (slippahs iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Mostly in the Windward side for now though so they haven't quite infiltrated the Waikiki area. But the fact that they're here at all does spell big trouble...
Old Nov 7, 2008, 2:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Indeed.

One of my contacts with the local branch of the US Wildlife folks will say off the record that there is simply no way that they will ever be controlled, much less eradicated on the Big Island, and that they WILL spread to the whole island and to all the other islands within the next 5-10 years.

One of the oddest things about a few nights on Moloka`i last year was the silence at night without screeching frogs.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (slippahs iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

My SO and apparently a lot of people find these frogs to be "cute". Sigh.

Have you at least grown accustomed to being able to sleep with the noise?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The are very abundant in Puerto Rico and are promoted as an asset and for years. They are in Mau and I really dont find them objectionable at all. I honestly fail to see any objections.

MisterNice
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My god, what do these things sound like?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MisterNice
The are very abundant in Puerto Rico and are promoted as an asset and for years. They are in Mau and I really dont find them objectionable at all. I honestly fail to see any objections.
They do have predators in Puerto Rico. So the numbers tend to stay at "lullaby level" (there's a traditional Puerto Rican lullaby about the coqui, actually ). But they don't have predators in Hawai`i and so are simply out of control.

Mr. Nice, the last nights I spent on Maui, I indeed heard some. But I'd invite you to spend a night or two or five in Puna, or in the Wainaku or Panaewa areas of Hilo. I suspect your assessment might be altered a bit.

That said, there are some folks who don't find them annoying, even in huge numbers. There are also tales of folks who just "snap" at some point (some of them having said that the coqui didn't bother them, but like a persistent ringing in the ear one day, all of a sudden, YOU'VE HAD IT!) and sell their houses at a loss and get as far from them as they can.

Here are some sound files; remember each frog can output at up to 92db

http://ltmtnele.tripod.com/elyunque/id7.html
http://www.hear.org/alienspeciesinha...01003_long.mpg
http://www.hear.org/alienspeciesinha...rogs/1frog.wav

Frog facts: http://frogworld.net/coqui-frog.html

Originally Posted by slippahs
Have you at least grown accustomed to being able to sleep with the noise?
There were none near us up until a year ago.

They guy with the lot makai has been bringing in a lot of earth moving equipment that had been previous been used in Puna.

So far, it's only about 20 nearby, but they're increasing.

So far, not hard to sleep, but if it gets anywhere near Panaewa or Wainaku or even Hilo Airport levels, it might be another story.

Still, they are less worrisome than the wild pig that gored and nearly killed a neighbor's dog this week.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.1 MM, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Silver
My wife and daughter actually love the frog screeching! We were in the Puna area for a week then three days just north of Hilo and they had a blast listening to them. Me, I had a pillow over my head
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Can't they be eradicated with spraying or sterilizing?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Very loud indeed!

I didn't realize they were soo small... the one article said the size of a quarter!

Good luck- sounds like the islands need it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.