Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HNL to volcanoes natl park day trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2008, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

HNL to volcanoes natl park day trip

Am in HNL for a week long conference. Was looking for suggestions on doing a day trip to volcanos natl park on the big island. I was wondering if people can share suggestions on how to get this done.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by rsh913
Am in HNL for a week long conference. Was looking for suggestions on doing a day trip to volcanos natl park on the big island. I was wondering if people can share suggestions on how to get this done.
You would want to fly HNL-ITO (Hilo) on the first flight of the morning and back the same evening and then rent a car. It can be done, but I am not sure I would want to be as rushed as I think you might be.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking about something like this.
http://www.adventureinhawaii.com/oahu_bigisland.htm

any reviews?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 8:44 pm

I was thinking about something like this.
http://www.adventureinhawaii.com/oahu_bigisland.htm

any reviews?
In reality, all four of the listed stops could easily be day long destinations on their own, my first visit to Place of Refuge was just that. Volcanoes can be easily be a multi-day affair, and the best viewing is at night. As FH said, this will be a very rushed excursion, more suited to people who just want to say "I've been there," as opposed to those who actually want to experience the Big Island. Besides, you have to question a company that features pictures of a now defunct airline all over their website

Last edited by JNB280; Jun 12, 2008 at 8:53 pm
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
We killed ourselves doing this as a day trip several years ago. First flight out, last flight back, with minutes to spare. I agree that this can be done in a day, but you'll spend limited time at the visitors center, and Chain of Craters Road.

If you have no plans on returning, then do it. It's still a great trip.

dh
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
While some of the information on this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...514&highlight=
is obviously dated, you nonetheless might find it helpful in spots.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
You'll definitely want to spend a night at Volcanoes. The County folks have done a wonderful job with the lava viewing site at the end of Highway 130 (not part of the park but a 60-75 minute drive away) and you need to see this at night. They get you about 400-600 meters from where the lava meets the ocean and its an amazing sight. To have to fly back in the evening and miss this would be a shame. Don't go during the day as you'll only see steam from the ocean. Go at night, right before 8 p.m. when the gates are closed and you can drive the nearly 2 mile length used for parking up to the trailhead.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...803090374.html
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Am thinking about doing

Itinerary Information
DEPART ARRIVE CLASS FLIGHT
Departure Flight JUL 15, 05:21 AM
Oahu - Honolulu (HNL) JUL 15, 06:12 AM
Big Island - Hilo (ITO) Coach HA102
Return Flight JUL 15, 10:19 PM
Big Island - Hilo (ITO) JUL 15, 11:08 PM
Oahu - Honolulu (HNL) Coach HA241

Questions-
1. Is ITO a better airport than Kona?
2. Does anyone know if Hyatt Wakiki has shuttle service to HNL?

Thanks again for your help.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Questions-
It's much closer to the national park, which is a point in its favor. But it's also more likely to suffer weather delays. Kona is on the leeward side of the island, where it sees more sun. Hilo's on the windward side, where it is more likely to see rain.

That being said, I've never been delayed into or out of Hilo by more than a few minutes.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check your favorite map...They don't call it "Big Island" for nothing.

BTW Your methodology is similar to folks that want to drive from LAS to the Grand Canyon for a day trip. My response: Why bother?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Can you take the first morning flight out of ITO back to HNL?

Stay at some cheap hotel in Hilo, then drive to airport and you'll be at your conference in the Hyatt by breakfast.

It really is the only way that you can enjoy this "day"trip.

P.S. The Hyatt itself does not run shuttles to the airport, but Roberts' buses are ubiquitous and I believe that they stop at the Hyatt. The concierge can give you a schedule and probably sell you tickets. (Ten bucks o/w, I believe).
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
BTW Your methodology is similar to folks that want to drive from LAS to the Grand Canyon for a day trip. My response: Why bother?
I agree. Why spend all that money/miles to fly up to Hilo, just to see black lava fields and a big pillowing sulfur fume if for just a day... Such a waste, IMHO.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Why bother? Well, if your only goal is to see the lava, then yes, you'll want to go at night and a trip that can't include an overnight stay wouldn't be worth it. But even then, isn't it still hit or miss that you'll actually see something (might be cloudy)?

But if you're interested in more than just seeing lava, the Big Island has other things to offer. I did a day trip to the Big Island knowing that seeing lava wasn't in the cards and I sure don't regret it. We took the first flight in and rented a Jeep. First stop was the market in Hilo. Then drove north to Waipio Valley stopping and hiking around at one of the waterfalls along the way. After Waipio we turned around to head back toward Hilo and had lunch and walked around in one of the small towns. We drove back through Hilo and up to Volcano NP. We drove around the crater rim and got out at several points to hike around. It might just be "black lava fields" but if you haven't seen them before it's like you're on Mars or something. We thought it was really cool even if we didn't see lava. Plus, the Big Island just has a much different feel than Oahu and it was nice to experience that.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Sounds like a fun (if long) day. ^

Most of Crater Rim Drive in the park has been closed off and on for the last couple of months because of the plume from the Halemaumau vent. When it's closed, pretty much the only thing in the park to see is the Visitors Center and Volcano House Hotel/Restaurant. (But the Visitors Center is very impressive).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.