Thanksgiving in OGG or HNL?
Some advise for choosing an island?
A month in Hawai‘i
Honeymooning in Hawai‘i Help Needed
going to Hawai‘i for the first time need help
Weather In Hawai‘i End Of August Beg Of September
How would you do Hawai‘i in seven days?
3 Island 7 Day Hawai‘i Survey Trip
I need advice for my first ever Hawai‘i trip!
Hawai‘i Trip – Lāna‘i, Big Island, Kaua‘i (long.....)
Basic questions re: first-time travel to Hawai‘i
First timer too - questions
Help on Hawai‘i

O‘ahu:
On a "day trip" from O‘ahu, which island would you choose and what would you do there?
Time on O‘ahu vs. Maui
Visiting and Living on O‘ahu

Maui:
Help with Maui

The Big Island:
Kona - what is new in Kona, or in the island of Hawai‘i, over the last 10 years.
Jeep or convertable for Big Island?
HILO Hawai‘i for a couple days - what to do - where to stay - how to see volcano!

Kaua‘i:
OK I picked Kaua‘i
The best of Kaua‘i.....your thoughts please
Kaua‘i for 6 days

Lāna‘i and Moloka‘i
Thoughts on Lāna‘i and Moloka‘i

Last edited by slippahs; Aug 8, 2004 at 10:17 pm
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Another point to make here that I have not seen mentioned. Aloha and Hawaiian are notoriously stingy on interisland baggage weights. I think the max is 50# per bag and above that you get hit with a penalty. So make sure if you have two or more bags that you split the stuff as evenly as possible to avoid the 50$# per bag weight limit.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks so much for the great tips here (especially the last one about the weights) - we're going to bring an extra duffel bag just in case.

Can't wait to visit the Islands!

-Shannon
Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
mahalo

thanks for this great info! we just visited two weeks ago.

one note - Hawaiian appears to be charging stand-by fees on all flights now, regardless of fare class. we were on full Y tickets ($210 each) and they still wanted $25 to standby on an earlier flight!

on another note - we wanted miles to post to worldperks - worked for 1 flight (500 + 250 eqm bonus and a segment) but other flight did not post. however, they took our boarding passes as we went down the jetway, so is there any way to retroactively request wp credit?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by curl
thanks for this great info! we just visited two weeks ago.

one note - Hawaiian appears to be charging stand-by fees on all flights now, regardless of fare class. we were on full Y tickets ($210 each) and they still wanted $25 to standby on an earlier flight!

on another note - we wanted miles to post to worldperks - worked for 1 flight (500 + 250 eqm bonus and a segment) but other flight did not post. however, they took our boarding passes as we went down the jetway, so is there any way to retroactively request wp credit?
Thanks for your post, curl. I didn't realize I mentioned standby options for Hawaiian airlines on this thread, but I've gone ahead and fixed that.

It might take longer for the inter-island leg to post, but unfortunately, in order to get retroactive credit from a partner with Northwest, you need the boarding pass stub. Hawaiian usually takes the boarding pass stub to make boarding faster but I always make sure to tear the stub off before handing it to the agent or asking the agent to tear the stub for me. It still wouldn't hurt to give WorldPerks a call after a week or so to see if they can grant you an extension with the ticket number.

Let us know how it goes.

aloha
Old Sep 29, 2004, 10:48 am

curl: I've had Hawaiian post miles to AAdvantage on the basis of an email identifying flights, dates and FF account numbers. Only took a few days once I made the request.

Slippahs: did you decide to "unStick" this thread?

Confirmed for 8/20-27/05 at Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy and 8/27 - 9/02 at Kona Coast Resort 2 ... now all I gotta do is count the days and wait for decent airfare.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Deacon
curl: I've had Hawaiian post miles to AAdvantage on the basis of an email identifying flights, dates and FF account numbers. Only took a few days once I made the request.

Slippahs: did you decide to "unStick" this thread?

Confirmed for 8/20-27/05 at Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy and 8/27 - 9/02 at Kona Coast Resort 2 ... now all I gotta do is count the days and wait for decent airfare.
I went ahead and unstuck this thread awhile back when there were a few requests to have other threads stuck as well. To avoid clutter, we went ahead and created an introduction with a list of the most read threads on the Hawai'i board. Hope you're able to snag a good rate!

aloha
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
going to try to get credit with a receipt and ticket number.

being a flyertalk addict, i gave them my worldperk number in the reservation, in HNL, in OGG, at EVERY step, to be sure that i was getting credit. in hnl though, they told mr. curl that his number was already in there, so they didn't re-enter it. of course, now he's not getting credit for that leg. but we're going to try to see if they'll take care of it for us without the BP. i mean we had to get to OGG somehow (to be able to fly the return), right??
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:26 pm

62 min. enough at HNL?

I read in the FAQ post that anywhere from 30-60min is sufficient connection time in HNL.

However, long story short, I was on the phone with Expedia tonight and they informed me that my first flight back home was bumped back a little later. Now I'll be arriving in HNL @ 9:08PM and departing @ 10:10PM... 62min. Which personally, seemed just fine to me. However, she was kind of pressuring me to change my Aloha flight to a different one 3 hours earlier as a 75min. connection time is required for HNL. Normally I wouldn't care but I don't wanna give up 3 hours on the big island in exchange for 3 hours sittin in HNL! Thankfully she couldn't get in touch with Aloha to make the change and gave me a reference # to call back. I asked if I could just hold off swapping that flight and she said yes, but I'm gonna get hit with a penalty fee if I miss the Delta back to LAX.

Is it worth the risk to just keep my flights how they are? How much would this penalty fee be about? The trip is the end of October, so chances are everythings gonna change again by then anyways!
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

With DL's new Simplifares, I believe (though someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that the change fee is $50 (rather than $100). If it were me, personally, I'd just keep the original flights, but it's all up to you and how much of a risk taker you are. Till October, however, there might be a good chance that Aloha's flight schedule will change (without any notice to you) and either make the connection tighter or freer.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:53 am

Usually I book it tight -- really tight, because I'm alays wanting to get home asap. Mostly works out, and even when it hasn't, I've never failed to be accommodated by either HA or AQ on a later flight.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Just discovered that HA had a schedule change, making my flight from OGG 1/2 hour later and making my connection time with NW in HNL at about sixty minutes. The HA flight was an award flight so I called NW. Since it was a schedule change by HA, they moved me up to the previous HA flight and waived the $50 fee. If they had not waived the fee, my wife and I would have sprinted from the InterIsland terminal to the main terminal. After all, we now need our $$$ to buy food on NW!

Last edited by yogimax; Apr 30, 2005 at 6:43 pm
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by yogimax
Just discovered that HA had a schedule change, making my flight from OGG 1/2 hour later and making my connection time with NW in HNL at about sixty minutes. The HA flight was an award flight so I called NW. Since it was a schedule change by HA, they moved me up to the previous HA flight and waived the $50 fee. If they had not waived the fee, my wife and I would have sprinted from the InterIsland terminal to the main terminal. After all, we now need our $$$ to buy food on NW!
IHHO, 60 minutes is more than enough time to make the connection. Your bags might not make it and you might get to your plane during the last calls of boarding, but I've heard of people making 20 minute connections (barely and out of breath).
Old May 1, 2005, 4:53 pm

It's the booking site responsibility

If Expedia booked you on those flights it is their responsibility to fix it without cost to you. The airline schedules change and you are entitled to the same itineray. Maybe you could score a free night in HNL should you miss the flight. Call Expedia if you miss the flight and have them book you a hotel. Insist you don't owe anymore money because the ticket was booked to make the codeshare connection.
Old May 6, 2005, 5:10 pm

An hour should be ok for the connection.

Personally I think that HA and AQ try to force a long connection for your transfer from HNL to the outer island so they can hit you with a fee to standby on an earlier flight. I hate the attitude that visitors are walking ATMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.