Wiki Posts
Search

Big Island Airports - Hilo? Kona?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, HH Gold, Starwood Platinum, Avis First
Big Island Airports - Hilo? Kona?

We are flying from Oahu to the Big Island. On our first 2 days on the Big Island we will be touring Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Hilo would be the airport to fly into, correct? I believe all of the helicopter tours leave from Hilo as well. Is that right?

We will then head to Hilton Waikoloa Village for several days before flying on to Maui. The airport in Kona would be more convenient to HWV according to the small map in the guidebook that I have. Please correct me if I am wrong or missing something. Mahalo!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:38 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
You/re correct. Hilo is much closer to the Volcanoes National Park area and Kona is much closer to the Waikoloa area. For the VNP area, we have always stayed at Hale Ohia www.haleohia.com. I just checked their websites and our favorite cottage their is no longer listed; however, they have added a couple of others. I would still recommend considering them. For dinning, we recommend Kilauea Lodge and Thai Thai. Enjoy your trip....

--Jon
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:40 am

second Thai Thai.. though you have to make sure that the owner "feels like opening"
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:57 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
...For dinning, we recommend Kilauea Lodge and Thai Thai. Enjoy your trip....
Just don't try Lava Rock Cafe in Volcano Village.

The responses you received are all on the mark except note: you can do helicopter tours from the Waikoloa side. Blue Hawaiian (the one I'd recommend) has a small heliport a couple of miles from the HWV. Iirc, prices for the volcano tour are a little more expensive than ex-Hilo, but if you're juggling other expenses (like a one-way car rental) this might be worth looking at.

You also might find this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284514
helpful
Old Sep 29, 2007, 6:08 am
Original Poster

MAHALO all!

I was reading National Geographic's Traveler Hawaii on a flight this week. When we deplaned a fellow pasenger stopped me and said, "I saw your Hawaii book. If you go you MUST do a helicopter tour over the volcano - it was the highlight of our trip and we are still talking about it!"

So now I am thinking about surprising my sons with a Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour when we arrive in Hilo!

Again, mahalo and aloha!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:06 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Blue Hawaiin

We did the Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour last from Kona to the volcano and around the island. They are well worth the money and have a much better safety record, guides, process. When you fly them you will see how well put together Blue Hawaiin is. Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 3:03 am

Hilo/volcano trip

I did this exact same itinerary last year. We few in to Hilo and drove to Volcano National Park. We stayed at one of the rental homes offered through Country Goose Bed and Breakfast. It was the Pukeawe Cottage and in my opinion at $150 per night was the best deal on the island.

The cottage was absolutely beautiful and clean. It was stocked with eveything you need and even had a washer and dryer. We loved it!

We drove to Kona and stayed at Waikoloa Village then arranged to drop the car in Kona so we didn't have to drive back to Hilo. It was a great trip! Have a wonderful time.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 2:58 pm
Original Member

do you know any car rental place does not charge drop charge?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by yan19454
I don't know the answer to that, but it seems possible that some companies might have drop charges at some times but not others, based on their inventory needs. Perhaps you should just punch in your times online and see what comes up.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 6:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Hertz traditionally has not charged extra for one-way rentals on the Big Island.

Lately, Avis isn't either, when I test a KOA-ITO one-way with the Travel Partners AWD ($36.00/day). You can search the codes thread in the Avis forum.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 4:50 am
Original Poster

We're just a few weeks away from our trip to Hawaii and it is fun to see my thread resurrected! We are flying into Hilo and out of Kona. We are renting from Avis and there is no drop charge.

Now I just have to book the Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour. All I have to do is figure out how much my wife weighs

Mahalo nui loa to all here who have helped with the planning of our family's first ever trip to Hawaii!!
Old Jul 12, 2008, 7:03 am

Programs: DL Skymiles (silver) & AA Advantage
Originally Posted by Poly Pal

Now I just have to book the Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour. All I have to do is figure out how much my wife weighs
No need to worry . . . I'm pretty sure they will put all passengers on a scale before you go, to make sure they know exactly how much folks weigh.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:05 pm

Yes, they will. But they will want to know how much she weighs in advance, or least that's been my experience with booking this for several guests.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Yes, they will. But they will want to know how much she weighs in advance, or least that's been my experience with booking this for several guests.
That's been my experience as well. And couples who weigh the least are the ones who get to sit up front.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by yan19454
IME, National, with the right codes, can get you a one-way without a drop fee.

Poly Pal: How exciting!

cblaisd: We tried both Lava Rock Cafe (don't ask why...) and Thai Thai. Man is Lava Rock Cafe bad. Thai Thai is quite possibly the best thai on the Big Island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.