Consolidated "Fares to Hawaii from U.S. Mainland @ Christmas" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Fares to Hawaii from U.S. Mainland @ Christmas" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Thank you very much. I will call AA as soon as I get the chance.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Try Alaska to Kona as well
Or any other airline really
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by businessmachine
Hello all.

Thank you very much for the all the priceless advice found on this forum. I am in the midst of planning a vacation/honeymoon in hawaii from December 25th to January 4th. ( Coming from NYC)
My goal was to try and get there using FF miles.I had 160,000 AA miles and 100,000 BA miles. I have been spending countless hours looking and just yesterday I got lucky finding one way tickets for my wife and I FROM LIH to JFK on Jan. 4 2012 in business class for 37,500 AA miles each. I was thinking we can be in Maui from Dec 25- 29 for some fun activities, and then in Kauai from 29-Jan 4th for a little more luxury time.

What thing I do really need help with is finding a one way award ticket to Maui on Dec 25. Unfortunately the cheapest I see is 45,000 each in COACH which is just ridiculous waste of miles.I also searched possibly going to the other islands and then transferring but that too was the same price. I would also appreciate any comments/advice on my plan.

Thank you again for all the help.
I'm not sure 45K is a waste of miles considering what's in store for you.

BTW, as an aside, the fireworks display New Year's Eve on Poipu Beach is great. The reflection on the water is truly beautiful.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:06 am
Suspended

thank you for the info. I am actually hoping to be at GH Kauai from 12/28- 01/04 so we're super excited.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Upgrade

Have you considered purchasing a revenue "Coach " ticket and using your miles to Upgrade to Business on the outbound??
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Executrip
Have you considered purchasing a revenue "Coach " ticket and using your miles to Upgrade to Business on the outbound??
That can get expensive with the cost of the ticket plus the co-pay.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:57 am
Suspended

So I actually found great availability using Hawaiian airlines. They had and still have plenty of availability going to HNL from Las Vegas and since they are partners with AA it worked out well. it was still not cheap mileage wise as it cost 22500 from LAS To HNL and 12500 from NYC to LAS so 35000 total which is better then 45000 anytime plus a free trip to vegas so I'm happy
Old Jul 11, 2011, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by businessmachine
So I actually found great availability using Hawaiian airlines. They had and still have plenty of availability going to HNL from Las Vegas and since they are partners with AA it worked out well. it was still not cheap mileage wise as it cost 22500 from LAS To HNL and 12500 from NYC to LAS so 35000 total which is better then 45000 anytime plus a free trip to vegas so I'm happy
Thanks for the update!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Just remember to give yourself plenty of layover time since you booked two different legs on different airlines
If the first flight is late or delayed, Hawaiian can be a nightmare since they replaced their call center from Honolulu to the Phillipines.
Good luck
Plus add in the InterIsland flight(s)
Use Hawaiian Air. Avoid Go! shoddy operation (Mesa air)
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I'm not sure 45K is a waste of miles considering what's in store for you.

BTW, as an aside, the fireworks display New Year's Eve on Poipu Beach is great. The reflection on the water is truly beautiful.
Saw it in 2007 -amazing

This holiday season I'll be flyin into KOA now for lodging...
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:48 pm

Mainland to Big Island Airfares for Christmas

Hi all. My wife's parents live on the Big Island. We want to take the kids to spend Christmas with Pops and Gramma this year.

So I've been watching the fares for BNA to KOA on 12/19 coming back on 1/3. The lowest I have seen them in the past 6 weeks is $1,600 for a coach seat! And they've gone as high as $2,400 a seat! A couple years ago we went for Christmas and I bought in July and paid $850 per seat... a reasonable price.

So what is up with the fares to Hawaii this year? Am I shopping too early? Did I already miss the "down to earth" fares? When I look on ExpertFlyer the booking classes look decimated. For example on the first leg BNA to DFW, the booking classes look like this F7 P7 A7 Y7 H2 B0 K0 L0 W0 V0 M0 G0 S0 N0 Q0 O0. How can this be? Are the airlines not releasing seats into the economy/coach buckets?

I'd love to hear any and all thoughts on this. Thanks in advance and mele kalikimaka!

Troy
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You're probably shopping too late. You want to fly on peak days in both directions - those days are probably going to be expensive no matter when you buy. However, any award seats have long been snapped up.

You might try to break it up by either flying into HNL and then going onto KOA, or pricing BNA-LAX/SJC + LAX/SJC-KOA. Or leave earlier and stay later.

Good luck and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Try looking at fares on Hawaiian Airlines. Connections are through HNL. We are flying to KOA in Oct and our fares are approx $500 RT Lax/Hnl/Koa. We thought it was a great fare.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Try looking at fares on Hawaiian Airlines. Connections are through HNL. We are flying to KOA in Oct and our fares are approx $500 RT Lax/Hnl/Koa. We thought it was a great fare.
That's about right for low season. However, the OP is looking for travel on 2 of the most popular days to/from Hawaii. Christmas/New Years is almost never cheap.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
There will never be a "down to earth" fare that involves the dates OP wants.

That plane has to fly 365 days a year. If you want the dates that always would be the most sought after, it's going to cost more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.