Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: This is an ARCHIVE (read-only) thread; the active thread for this topic may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2070868-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread-2021-a.html

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:55 am

I'm on the mainland now, but the I really miss malasadas from Champion Malasadas. They have a unique taste and texture that makes them very good! ^
http://www.ChampionMalasadas.com
Old Oct 23, 2008, 7:47 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kaukau
After nearly 50 years in business, HHV's Golden Dragon Restaurant will close this Sunday due to lack of business!!!!!
that stinks !!

Originally Posted by HaynBryan
I'm on the mainland now, but the I really miss malasadas from Champion Malasadas. They have a unique taste and texture that makes them very good! ^
http://www.ChampionMalasadas.com
I've had both and believe Leonards Malasadas are far better.
http://www.leonardshawaii.com/

Originally Posted by brendamc
Drive up to the North Shore to the shrimp trucks - yummmmm...
trucks plural ? I thought I had read there was only one

are they in one particular spot on the North Shore ?

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Oct 23, 2008 at 7:53 am
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
trucks plural ? I thought I had read there was only one

are they in one particular spot on the North Shore ?
There are several. Most are familiar with Giovanni's (the truck with grafitti) and Romy's (who farm their own shrimp). Both are in, or near Kahuku. But there's also a Giovanni's that's usually parked in Hale'iwa, and Fumi's in Kahuku. Also one in Kahuku called "Famous Shrimp" or something like that.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:58 am

Izakaya nombei
Gaku Sushi
Khonotori
sansei sushi
DK steakhouse
Hy's steak house
Ruth Chris'
Palazzo Italian restaurant
Aki No NO
Pho One for viet food
phucket thai
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:30 pm

Places to eat *late* around Waikiki

Hey guys,

So I'll be flying in pretty late on a Friday night and probably won't get to my hotel (Sheraton Princess Kaiulani) until closer to 10pm at the earliest. Just wondering what places are around there (within walking distance) that are still open and relatively cheap? I thought I saw that Sansei is open pretty late and everything on the menu is half-off. I wouldn't mind sushi, except I'd still be spending a bit :P
I also saw Choi's kitchen, but it looks like they close at 9:30pm.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Right across the street - Duke's - in the Outrigger Waikiki.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Right across the street - Duke's - in the Outrigger Waikiki.
I heard about this place, but isn't it kinda pricey? Everything seems to start at $10. And is it a sit-down only place or would I be able to get it to go?

I was looking more for a quick bite to eat. I ran across Taiyo Ramen near Ala Moana and saw that they have a specialty kim chee fried rice that people are raving about. It'd be nice to be able to walk there though
Old Jul 15, 2009, 5:49 pm

Also across the street is The Cheesecake Factory open 11 pm to midnight depending on the day.

http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/locations.htm
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by jplee3
Hey guys,

So I'll be flying in pretty late on a Friday night and probably won't get to my hotel (Sheraton Princess Kaiulani) until closer to 10pm at the earliest. Just wondering what places are around there (within walking distance) that are still open and relatively cheap? I thought I saw that Sansei is open pretty late and everything on the menu is half-off. I wouldn't mind sushi, except I'd still be spending a bit :P
I also saw Choi's kitchen, but it looks like they close at 9:30pm.

Any ideas?
For the price, Sansei is a great deal and most roll sets will cost you around $5. This is high quality stuff we're talking about. Was there a few weeks ago and was able to sit down on the outside lanai without a wait. Just note that you can't take out food from here for the late night special.

You can also walk down to the Waikiki Beachwalk. The Yardhouse and Giovanni Pastrami will be open late on a Friday night. Going the other way toward Diamond Head, Tiki's Bar & Grill will also be open late. Or if you're really going for something special ( ), there's a Denny's mauka of the hotel on Kuhio.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by whistler814
A quaint Malaysian place in Chinatown is the Green Door. It's a mix of Malay and Singapore cuisines. The spices are unique and quite a treat for locals and visitors. They close for a break between lunch and dinner so check the hours before you go.
OK, so I know I'm replying to a very old post.

Additionally, I can't remember if I ever posted about Green Door closing down in Chinatown and moving to Kahala (where they promptly closed down again)

But take heart!, dear readers, for Green Door has reopened for business in Chinatown, this time right across Nuuanu Ave from Indigo's.

Be forewarned: Owner/chef Betty Pang is just as unreadable as ever, and her posted hours of 11:30 AM -2:30 PM Mon-Fri; 6 PM - ??? Wed-Sat are still just as dependent as ever on her moods and the amount of foot traffic.

But don't let that deter you; if you are in Chinatown around lunchtime or dinnertime, by all means stop in and try her fare. You won't be sorry.

I for one was ecstatic to learn that she was back and have already made the trip. My tummy is still grateful for it

A hui ho.
Ted
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Wow ^. Lots of options here.

I was surprised after looking at the Cheesecake Factory website, that it has a full menu of food. In Australia, our Cheesecake factory sells cakes and cheesecake only.

I checked out the menus but there are no prices. Can someone give me a ball park figure on costs for lunch and dinner there? I might just give it a go, the food looked quite nice for a casual meal and there is also one in Anaheim ^.

Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:54 pm

The cheesecake isn't cheap (7$ each), the rest of the food is reasonably priced (maybe 15-20 a main, with lighter mains being less). The portions are huge so if you're on a budget it's not a bad place since you'll be able to split portions or have lunch the next day.

A few recommendations:
Go atleast 30 minutes to 1 hour before you are hungry and get in line - its crazy but for some reason every cheesecake factory i've been to has a massive line.

Think about eating dessert first. We usually show up and put our name on the list and then go and get takeout cheesecake. By the time you've finished your dessert your table is ready

Think about going for lunch instead of dinner - there are no crowds.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:34 pm

Can't believe this thing hasn't been updated in 7 years

Anyway, Nick's Fishmarket in Waikiki is now closed...
Old Oct 31, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I read a post about Roy's having a 3 course prix fix dinner...but according to their website it is not available in HI. Is that correct?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by RockoHorse
The cheesecake isn't cheap (7$ each), the rest of the food is reasonably priced (maybe 15-20 a main, with lighter mains being less). The portions are huge so if you're on a budget it's not a bad place since you'll be able to split portions or have lunch the next day.

A few recommendations:
Go atleast 30 minutes to 1 hour before you are hungry and get in line - its crazy but for some reason every cheesecake factory i've been to has a massive line.

Think about eating dessert first. We usually show up and put our name on the list and then go and get takeout cheesecake. By the time you've finished your dessert your table is ready

Think about going for lunch instead of dinner - there are no crowds.
Exactly. The food is mediocre but EVERY single location I have been to has been packed, even random places like Omaha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.