Reload this Page >

Oahu/Honolulu/HNL : Consolidated "Hotels Near Honolulu Airport" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Alternative thread for those considering "roughing it" - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1742268-sleeping-overnight-hnl-airport.html
Print Wikipost

Oahu/Honolulu/HNL : Consolidated "Hotels Near Honolulu Airport" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by chx1975
My plane lands at 6am and the next leaves at 3:35pm. There seems to be room for a 6-7 hour sleep... but where? The usual checkin/checkout times won't work.
We spent a short night at the airport Best Western last year when Lihuie-LAX went mechanical and trashed the connection home. While calling it worn is generous and in no way suggesting it as a vacation hotel, for a nap between planes I would take it over a double commute into Honolulu. Just don't expect much. I hear the other airport alternative is about the same.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
A couple of months ago, one of my buddies was passing thru from the Marshall's and I was unable to let him hang at my crib due to my work hours and due to him not wanting to fight the traffic to/from Waikiki area.

He stayed at the Honolulu Airport Hotel and said while it wasn't the best place in the world, it worked for his needs. They picked him up at HNL, dropped him off at the hotel, and got him back to HNL in time for his flight. The room was clean, had a TV/Coffee Maker, and the shower worked. All his needs were met.

He did say if anyone goes that option, to get online as it is apparently a bit cheaper to reserve a room online then just showing up and getting one.

Good luck but as others have said, with the traffic out here, I'd go with one of those hotels at HNL as you are going to kill a good 2 hours to/from traffic.....

Just me.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:51 am

Trip in Feb 2016

My family of 4 arriving in HNL closer to midnight - only staying for two nights - leaving at noon.

Which Hilton, Marriott, or IHG have shuttle service to the airport - I have rewards available with these - I also have AMEX MR points?

I also have single passes for United Club and Admirals club - they do not have a room to sleep right?

Any recommendations on a hotel for my family?
Thanks
Old May 6, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by sciconf
My family of 4 arriving in HNL closer to midnight - only staying for two nights - leaving at noon.

Which Hilton, Marriott, or IHG have shuttle service to the airport - I have rewards available with these - I also have AMEX MR points?

I also have single passes for United Club and Admirals club - they do not have a room to sleep right?

Thanks
United Club closes before you arrive.

No one can make an informed hotel recommendation unless you provide your budget and other preferences.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
United Club closes before you arrive.

No one can make an informed hotel recommendation unless you provide your budget and other preferences.

Thanks
My preference is for a safe place.
In terms of budget, I am not looking at expensive ones - I am ideally looking at paying them with my accumulated rewards that are listed including AMEX MR.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:57 pm

My preference is for a safe place.
In terms of budget, I am not looking at expensive ones - I am ideally looking at paying them with my accumulated rewards that are listed including AMEX MR.
I would suggest a hotel in Waikiki. One of the major chains where you can use your MR points.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
For a short overnight (10:30PM arrival and 06:00AM departure), is either the Best Western or the Airport Hotel worth it? Marina looks grim, and I don't want to make the trek to Waikiki for that amount of time. Otherwise, is the airport open all night with a boarding pass?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by andox
For a short overnight (10:30PM arrival and 06:00AM departure), is either the Best Western or the Airport Hotel worth it? Marina looks grim, and I don't want to make the trek to Waikiki for that amount of time. Otherwise, is the airport open all night with a boarding pass?
The "trek" to Waikiki would be about 20 min at most.

"worth it" depends on your value proposition.

I would not recommend either airport hotel to anyone I cared about. Neither would I recommend overnighting it at the airport, although people do it.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
The "trek" to Waikiki would be about 20 min at most.

"worth it" depends on your value proposition.

I would not recommend either airport hotel to anyone I cared about. Neither would I recommend overnighting it at the airport, although people do it.
I agree. If you don't want to go right into Waikiki, try the Ala Moana Hotel. A lot of flight crews stay there.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
I agree. If you don't want to go right into Waikiki, try the Ala Moana Hotel. A lot of flight crews stay there.
Yes, the Ala Moana is a fine hotel, and staying there will save you 5 minutes compared to venturing into Waikiki.

As a side note, I was curious whether the Ala Moana Hotel technically fell within the boundaries of Waikiki, and see that it lies just outside of the Google Map boundaries:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...!4d-157.835698

More surprising, the Kapiolani Park area does not reside in Waikiki either. Learn something everyday..
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Ok, thanks for the advice. Looks like the Ala Moana is a good option. Normally, I would just stay awake at the airport, but after coming from BCN the same day in Y, that's kind of hard to swallow.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:38 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I would not recommend either airport hotel to anyone I cared about.
I don't get this.

For a simple crash-pad between flights, either is fine, and I've stayed at both.

There IS a hassle factor of getting to Waikiki or downtown no matter what time of day. I'd much prefer to use the extra hour (or more) to be in my room after a long flight.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I don't get this.

For a simple crash-pad between flights, either is fine, and I've stayed at both.

There IS a hassle factor of getting to Waikiki or downtown no matter what time of day. I'd much prefer to use the extra hour (or more) to be in my room after a long flight.
I agree. Although I've never stayed at either, the reviews on TripAdvisor are not bad. Free shuttle is also a big deal as compared to cab or driving a rental car into Waikiki. If there were some extra hours in daylight/early evening to enjoy Waikiki area, then I think the story changes. Unless there is something that is not obvious, for a night arrival morning departure layover I would certainly book here.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I don't get this.
Originally Posted by nishimark
I agree.
Just Google the following:

Honolulu & "airport hotel" & arrest

Honolulu & "airport hotel" & murder

As I said, I would not recommend that environment to my friends and family, including my FT "family."

Of course, YYMV
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: Delta
Just Google the following:

Honolulu & "airport hotel" & arrest

Honolulu & "airport hotel" & murder
I did. Didn't find much. Not doubting your sincerity, but saw one hit for a burglary suspect shot by police in March. That's it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.