Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Bringing/shipping pineapples from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Bringing/shipping pineapples from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I was there a few years ago and went to a Costco near Pearl Harbor and actually bought some pineapples and brought them back to Ohio. I heard TSA is now cutting open all pineapples to check for dangerous weapons of mass distruction that may be inside.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I was there a few years ago and went to a Costco near Pearl Harbor and actually bought some pineapples and brought them back to Ohio. I heard TSA is now cutting open all pineapples to check for dangerous weapons of mass distruction that may be inside.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by beckoa
I think he was kidding
Old Dec 25, 2010, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think he was kidding
not to drift too much o/t.... but I wouldn't put it past the TSA to do such a thing... and kinda would ruin the pineapple... As it is, they don't know how to repack them well after a normal 'search'...

:-: Mele Kamikimaka :-:
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
OK, keiki, back on topic.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Ag Inspections

I know that California and Hawaii both have serious inbound inspections concerning fruit and plants. Although it has been mentioned "smuggling" items out of Hawaii, I can tell you that sneaking something INTO Hawaii is a serious offense. You might not get caught, but it could be devastating to the farmers.

Years ago a plant came in from South America and a very tiny coqui frog (or egg) was on the plant. It spread throughout the Big Island and we have not been able to rid ourselves of it. They may populate up to 10,000 per acre and have no enemies here and whose sound can reach 80-90db.

Whole containers of Christmas trees have been shipped back to the mainland because some wasps were found on a branch of a tree.

We recently found a coffee cherry borer which may have come in on a plant or someones shoes. Many Kona coffee farms now have tree damage from it. Hawaii was the last coffee growing area known to be free of the pest and we may lose large amounts of crops due to it.

So while it may seem like no big thing to sneak fruit or plants past inspectors, the travelers destination may be forever changed.

Please make sure that all fruit, plants and farm items are inspected properly.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Lavarock - I fully appreciate your concerns and completely agree with them.

But we're talking about smuggling stuff OUT of Hawaii, not in I wouldn't dare knowingly take anything in, as I'm fully aware the harm it can do.

You can't even buy papayas at the airport any longer because those which are inspected cost a small fortune. Pineapples are the only things we can get out.

I called around a few years ago to find out if I could have fruit inspected/treated on my own, and the answer was no. Someone has one heck of a racket in HI.

What irks me is that my mainland flight is non-stop to NJ, and often in the dead of winter. Even if something is on a piece of fruit it certainly isn't going to survive the trip or the winter. I fully understand if the flight was stopping in CA where much of the country's food is grown.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I thought the last pineapple plantation in Maui was closing a few years back?

Those of you in warmer climes should try growing your own.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Lavarock - I fully appreciate your concerns and completely agree with them.

But we're talking about smuggling stuff OUT of Hawaii, not in
That is why are they inspecting your luggage when you leave! To ensure you are not smuggling things out with bugs or problems.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Lavarock7
That is why are they inspecting your luggage when you leave! To ensure you are not smuggling things out with bugs or problems.
But I find it highly unlikely that store bought lilikoi, guava, papaya, etc. would have bugs or problems. I think they should allow these fruits (along with pineapple) to be taken off the islands if you have a store receipt or submit them for visual inspection.

Of course your destination can ban their import, but that's your problem on arrival, not departure.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:38 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
But I find it highly unlikely that store bought lilikoi, guava, papaya, etc. would have bugs or problems.
Actually, it could be very likely and I've seen bugs on such more than once. A store receipt is just not enough of a guarantee (since, as noted, it was from a shipment to a store that caused the infernal coqui frog invasion). And there are some nasty things that really are either too small to see or are too easily concealed in certain fruits/vegetables.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:55 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Several years ago (before the shoe carnival and the War on Toothpaste) on a trip home from Hawaii I bought a bunch of pineapples, six I think. The store kept the shipping boxes for people who want to check a case as luggage on the flight home, and the boxes were under the fruit display cases and easily retrievable by the customer. I think it was a Safeway near Waipahu. Yes they WERE grocery store pineapples from a supermarket chain, but the ones I tasted were good and those I gave away got rave reviews.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I thought the last pineapple plantation in Maui was closing a few years back?

Those of you in warmer climes should try growing your own.
Hali'imaile Pineapple (growers of the Maui Gold line) are still very much alive and well - although production is limited to inter-Island use and some shipments to specific retailers on the US west coast. Dole also grows pineapples for consumption on the islands, but their mainland market is factory-farmed gas-ripened crap from Central America.

I prefer the Maui Golds - very sweet and juicy.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:56 pm

Hali'imaile Pineapple (growers of the Maui Gold line) are still very much alive and well - although production is limited to inter-Island use and some shipments to specific retailers on the US west coast. Dole also grows pineapples for consumption on the islands, but their mainland market is factory-farmed gas-ripened crap from Central America.

I prefer the Maui Golds - very sweet and juicy.
muahahah... have a Maui Gold sitting in my condo right now... ripe for cutting up
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Lavarock7
Moving stuff to ANC in the middle of winter... back in the day my dad thinks they didn't stop stuff on the n/s HA between HNL and ANC...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.