Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Bringing/shipping pineapples from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Bringing/shipping pineapples from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:47 pm

Just noticed this week's Safeway ad. Del Monte Golden Sweet Pineapple $1.99. Hard to beat that price in Chinatown.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Just noticed this week's Safeway ad. Del Monte Golden Sweet Pineapple $1.99. Hard to beat that price in Chinatown.
not bad at all- cheaper then Costco even ^

But I think I might like Dole better
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is a HUGE difference in taste and quality between a smaller-farmed local Hawaiian pineapple like Maui Gold and the Central American factory-farmed and gas-ripened piece of crap you buy at your local supermarket in Ohio.

If you really love pineapple, it's worth it to ship some home, but definitely do not buy the airport or Dole Plantation pineapples which are priced for tourists.

I buy 2-3 Maui Gold pineapples from Costco and bring them home. If I get there early enough, they have boxes with lids on them. I put my pineapples in the box, and borrow some packing tape from the service counter to seal the box and make a tape handle so I can carry it around. West coast Costcos and Asian markets will sometimes carry the Maui Golds, so I don't need to go all the way over there to buy them.

I haven't tried the Del Monte versions from Hawaiian supermarkets, so I can't comment on how they compare with the Maui Golds - but don't just go home to Ohio, buy a Central American Dole pineapple from there and think it would be anything like a Hawaiian grown pineapple.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bocastephen
There is a HUGE difference in taste and quality between a smaller-farmed local Hawaiian pineapple like Maui Gold and the Central American factory-farmed and gas-ripened piece of crap you buy at your local supermarket in Ohio.

If you really love pineapple, it's worth it to ship some home, but definitely do not buy the airport or Dole Plantation pineapples which are priced for tourists.

I buy 2-3 Maui Gold pineapples from Costco and bring them home. If I get there early enough, they have boxes with lids on them. I put my pineapples in the box, and borrow some packing tape from the service counter to seal the box and make a tape handle so I can carry it around. West coast Costcos and Asian markets will sometimes carry the Maui Golds, so I don't need to go all the way over there to buy them.

I haven't tried the Del Monte versions from Hawaiian supermarkets, so I can't comment on how they compare with the Maui Golds - but don't just go home to Ohio, buy a Central American Dole pineapple from there and think it would be anything like a Hawaiian grown pineapple.
...and do go there early enough...

was at the HNL costco near the airport, and it was near close... they were out of pineapples and I had a flight to catch the next morning
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:22 pm

Talking

Thanks for all the help. I trudged through the pouring rain yesterday and bought 6 pineapples @ Costco. They are Dole not Maui Gold but only cost $2 each.

I'm currently at HNL and got through agriculture inspection and security with no problem. I packed 4 in my checked bag and am carrying the other 2 on. My carry-on was too small for all 6 plus I wouldn't have been able to lift it into the overhead.

They definitely have a racket going on here with the pineapples. I am watching someone buy boxes of 2 pineapples for $24. I paid $12.50 for 6.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: NWA Worldperks, AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by beckoa
...and do go there early enough...

was at the HNL costco near the airport, and it was near close... they were out of pineapples and I had a flight to catch the next morning
Speaking of that, that particular Costco is a madhouse because there are just so much people in there all the time. I think it does the most business of any Costco in the US.

Slightly OT--they've also started serving gelato at the costco in the outdoor food area. 3 scoops of gelato and a waffle cone for $1.50 can't be beat.^
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by relativelynormal
Speaking of that, that particular Costco is a madhouse because there are just so much people in there all the time. I think it does the most business of any Costco in the US.

Slightly OT--they've also started serving gelato at the costco in the outdoor food area. 3 scoops of gelato and a waffle cone for $1.50 can't be beat.^
ooo... that is new and ot lol
might get that in one of the ANC Costco's next year... hoping, but my waistline isn't lol
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by travelinbee
Thanks for all the help. I trudged through the pouring rain yesterday and bought 6 pineapples @ Costco. They are Dole not Maui Gold but only cost $2 each.

I'm currently at HNL and got through agriculture inspection and security with no problem. I packed 4 in my checked bag and am carrying the other 2 on. My carry-on was too small for all 6 plus I wouldn't have been able to lift it into the overhead.

They definitely have a racket going on here with the pineapples. I am watching someone buy boxes of 2 pineapples for $24. I paid $12.50 for 6.
It is quite the racket- and yes 6 pineapples is a bit heavy to lift... but possible. Then there's the question of how much those bins can hold

But are prices really inflated to 12.50 a pineapple now
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It is quite the racket- and yes 6 pineapples is a bit heavy to lift... but possible. Then there's the question of how much those bins can hold

But are prices really inflated to 12.50 a pineapple now
Wouldn't surprise me...I thought I recall seeing $6-7 pineapples at the Dole Plantation on O'ahu, so doubling the price at the airport seems within the realm of possibility.

If I was departing from O'ahu, I would have tried to buy a carrying box from the plantation, then stuffed it with cheaper pineapples from Costco or Foodland.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:44 am

One additional point (although not helpful for Ohio) - if you love Hawaiian papaya, you can purchase boxes from most Ranch 99 and H Mart supermarkets in California and Washington. You can't take them with you from the Islands, but the prices at these markets aren't bad and it leaves room in your luggage for the pineapples, which are not always available at these markets since Maui Gold cut back on production and shipping.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:19 pm

One additional point (although not helpful for Ohio) - if you love Hawaiian papaya, you can purchase boxes from most Ranch 99 and H Mart supermarkets in California and Washington. You can't take them with you from the Islands, but the prices at these markets aren't bad and it leaves room in your luggage for the pineapples, which are not always available at these markets since Maui Gold cut back on production and shipping.
well it is mostly a 'not supposed to'

Kinda silly IMO if one is traveling to frozen AK...
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:49 pm

well it is mostly a 'not supposed to'

Kinda silly IMO if one is traveling to frozen AK...
Which part is 'not suppose to'? - taking papayas from Hawai'i on your own?

Those AG folks have eagle eyes! They spotted a single guava that was left in one of our bags a few years ago. I wouldn't even try smuggling a larger fruit. I did pack some raw macadamias in the shell that I picked from the ground in Waipio Valley which they never saw, but they're for display on my desk, not for eating.

I'd be afraid of papaya, passionfruit or mango getting crushed in my bag - so if I can buy real Hawaiian fruit from a west coast supermarket for almost the same price as back in Hawai'i, I'd leave the shipping to someone else.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: NWA Worldperks, AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus
Are these the red Kahuku papayas? If so, that is a pretty good deal because those are some of the sweetest papayas I have tasted in my life.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by relativelynormal
Are these the red Kahuku papayas? If so, that is a pretty good deal because those are some of the sweetest papayas I have tasted in my life.
I can't remember...I'll be in CA this weekend and sure to be at a Ranch 99, so I'll check
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:29 pm

Which part is 'not suppose to'? - taking papayas from Hawai'i on your own?

Those AG folks have eagle eyes! They spotted a single guava that was left in one of our bags a few years ago. I wouldn't even try smuggling a larger fruit. I did pack some raw macadamias in the shell that I picked from the ground in Waipio Valley which they never saw, but they're for display on my desk, not for eating.

I'd be afraid of papaya, passionfruit or mango getting crushed in my bag - so if I can buy real Hawaiian fruit from a west coast supermarket for almost the same price as back in Hawai'i, I'd leave the shipping to someone else.
I've had luck w/ the apple banannas myself

but my friend gave away the papaya before I had a chance... and if stopped, would have eaten it on the spot... but was late for the flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.