Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Bringing/shipping pineapples from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Bringing/shipping pineapples from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:51 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
It's been several years since I've done it, but I went to a supermarket near my sister's place in Waipahu, bought either six or eight pineapples (can't remember), and the store had boxes (maybe the case they were received in). The box had handles and I checked it in with no problem and no additional fee. I remember this being something that the grocery store did on a regular basis, so you might ask at the local grocer. It was a supermarket, not a small mom and pop-type place.

My flight was diverted to BWI instead of IAD because of bad weather. At BWI the wait for the airline's bus to IAD was going to be a few hours. A guy from my flight who worked for GEIS in Herndon, Virginia, was coming back from the CES show in Las Vegas. He offered to let me me a ride with him back to IAD in his cab. Both he and the cab driver were grateful recipients of a really nice fresh pineapple that day!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is there a list of stores on the mainland that import and sell Hawaiian pineapples? I imagine their availability is probably more widespread on the west coast...but it would be nice to bite into a chilled Maui Gold while sitting on the porch and watching the February flowers bloom on the east coast.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:32 pm

Here is the APHIS sheet on Hawaii. It sounds like pineapples have to be declared, but don't require any special treatment.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:23 am

How do I pack these pineapples?

After recommendations from several here, I went to Costco this afternoon for the "pre-inspected" pineapples to take home. What a deal at $3,00 ea for Maui Golds. But how the heck do I pack these for the flight? They are in open top boxes with 5 per case. I am sure the Agriculture Inspection agents are going to want to check that these are the right type, which by the way it doesn't say so on the box itself, but Costco swears these are the right kind.
Any suggestions from someone who has done this before?
Thanks
Cinidi

Last edited by cndij; Jun 30, 2007 at 3:21 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:30 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Good morning, cndij!

There are no restrictions for bringing pineapples to the mainland from Hawai'i. None at all - "As long as there no bugs on 'em"! - From the Kahului airport USDA: 808 877 8757 Have a safe trip home, and enjoy your Maui Golds!

Aloha Kakou,

kaukau
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:23 pm

Thanks so much, I was afraid to pack them too tight and then have the inspector tear it apart. By the way, this has been a fantastic trip thanks to everyones suggestions. Will try to post a trip report when I get home.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 4:32 pm

Question Pineapples and Mainland travel

I've been in Honolulu for the last few months and am heading back to Ohio for the Holidays and have been asked to bring pineapples. I have looked around for options other than paying the inflated prices airside at HNL but not found many options.

So far these were the ideas I have:

1) Go to Dole Plantation and buy pre-packed box of 5/6 pineapples for $33.

2) Pay high prices @ HNL but only get a couple pineapples.

3) Buy some at local store and pack in luggage. Recently read a couple posts online that they will pass agriculture inspection as long as there is no soil on them. Anyone have any experience doing this?

4) Call Dole Plantation to see if they have airport pick-up option.

This leads to another question of if the airlines charge for checking a case of pineapples. I have read that some do and some don't but can't find any definitive answers for each airline including what size is allowed. I am flying AA would definitely prefer to be able to check them free. If they are going to charge I would rather pack them in my larger carry-on bag and check the whole thing in order to get my moneys worth.

If anyone has any knowledge or experience with any of this please let me know. Thanks.

On a side note what is the policy for Maui Onions? Are there special restrictions? They are not specifically listed on the agriculture website.

Mahalo,
Susan
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:43 pm

When you get to Ohio, go to the supermarket and buy them!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
When you get to Ohio, go to the supermarket and buy them!
I thought about that option but to us those I brought back from Hawaii last time definitely tasted better. Not too mention the majority of pineapples in eastern states are from south america. The low number being grown in Hawaii limits the likely hood of finding them anywhere on the eastern half of the states.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:34 pm

Just buy Del Monte Gold or Dole Premium Select and wait until they are dead ripe. Dragging them home is a pain in the neck and not economic unless you strike a really good buy in Chinatown. Bin there done that. Aloha!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Go to Costco and buy all the pineapples you want. They are one of the few fruits than can pass ag inspection.

I put them in a box and don't seal it until it comes out of inspection.

You'll be good to go as long as they don't have any soil on them - and the ones Costco sells are clean.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Second that. Just see if you can pull some center leaves out easily of a nice, golden pineapple... that will do. Schlep is as schlep does...

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Just buy Del Monte Gold or Dole Premium Select and wait until they are dead ripe. Dragging them home is a pain in the neck and not economic unless you strike a really good buy in Chinatown. Bin there done that. Aloha!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Go to Costco and buy all the pineapples you want. They are one of the few fruits than can pass ag inspection.

I put them in a box and don't seal it until it comes out of inspection.

You'll be good to go as long as they don't have any soil on them - and the ones Costco sells are clean.
my favorite option too... typically check a full flat- IIRC I can squeeze six of them - a flat - into my carry-on
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:31 am

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
my favorite option too... typically check a full flat- IIRC I can squeeze six of them - a flat - into my carry-on
We always check 3-6 in our luggage. When I tell the ag inspectors that I have pineapples in my luggage and ask if they want to see them, they always say don't bother. The pineapples have always made the trip back fine.

Easy to buy the Maui Golds at Costco - usually around $3 each. Just remember the extra weight in your luggage - one of our suitcases with the pineapples weighed in at 55 pounds. When I told the agent the pineapples put us over, she just laughed and put an overweight sticker on the bag. No extra fees.

May be a pain - but I don't know anyone who doesn't appreciate a pineapple brought back from Hawaii!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:45 am

Maui Gold Pineapples In Oahu?

Stopping at HNL for a 36 hour layover on the way back from KWA at the end of January and would like to take some Maui Gold pineapples home to the mainland Gulf Coast area. I don't have Costco access (no stores near my home) and need another source in Oahu for reasonably priced Maui Gold pieapples. Any suggestions? I'll have a rental car, so not limited by transportation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.