Wiki Posts
Search

altitude and Haleakala?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
altitude and Haleakala?

without trying to sound too dumb, would anyone have advice on whether or not it's "safe" to drive up Haleakala with a 10 month old infant, with respect to the altitude? We're looking for things to do in Maui, and the volcano sounds beautiful, but not if we're risking the health or comfort of our baby. Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:53 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
In short, no, it's not advised. He/she won't be able to tell you how they're feeling. If you go up slowly (say, make a few 1-hour stops) then you should be okay, as it takes time to adjust. I went up to Mauna Kea a few weeks back and even though we had a half-hour stay at the visitor's center that's at 2800m, at the top of the 4200-meter mountain I still felt a little "woozy."

I remember back as a teen I had trouble adjusting to the altitude up on Haleakala. I had difficulty breathing and headaches both times I went up there. This time I didn't have this problem.

Again, I wouldn't advise you to go up there with an infant. If you manage to get up there by yourself, I'd suggest going to see the sunrise.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Palal is pretty much right, but there's a big difference between Mauna Kea (13,796') and Haleakala (10,023'). Keep in mind that the pressure of an airliner cabin is similar to being at 8,000-10,000' - similar to the visitor station (9,200') on Mauna Kea, and not all that different from the summit of Haleakala.

While you definitely should not take infants to the summit of Mauna Kea, taking them to the summit of Haleakala is not substantively different than taking them on an airliner. Just keep an eye on 'em, and if they look unusually lethargic, head down to lower elevation.

-Dan (sometimes works on top of Mauna Kea; thinks Haleakala is "low.")
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:00 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by Fermat
without trying to sound too dumb, would anyone have advice on whether or not it's "safe" to drive up Haleakala with a 10 month old infant, with respect to the altitude? We're looking for things to do in Maui, and the volcano sounds beautiful, but not if we're risking the health or comfort of our baby. Thanks!
Aloha from Lahaina! I guess you can see how your baby does at 8,000' on the flight over. I think that's the typical cabin pressure?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:50 pm

Don't forget it gets pretty cold up there too.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Several times, I have ridden a bike to the top of Haleakala -- no problem. Once, I drove to the summit of Mauna Kea -- problem. I was dizzy just walking up a short flight of stairs.

As Dan said, there is a big difference between 13k and 10k feet. Unless there is a known health problem, I wouldn't hesitate to bring your little one up to the top of Haleakala.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the replies! Any idea on how long it roughly takes to descend from the top if we needed to do this quickly (AMS symptoms for example)?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by DanTravels
Keep in mind that the pressure of an airliner cabin is similar to being at 8,000-10,000' - similar to the visitor station (9,200') on Mauna Kea, and not all that different from the summit of Haleakala.
FAA requirement for airliner cabins are <= 8000 feet, not 8000 to 10000. If you decide to go up, keep well hydrated, it can really make a difference. I had a slight headache after driving to the summit, but I didn't follow the hydration advice very well. If you live above sea level, you are already a step ahead of those of us who live at an elevation of 50 feet.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I don't know how accurate it is, but the barrometric altimiter in my watch reads about 5600' at cruising altitude on my flights...

I too have gotten a bit woozy making the drive up to the top of Haleakala. It was awfully cold up there too.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too have gotten a bit woozy making the drive up to the top of Haleakala.
Ditto. While I haven't gotten too terribly woozy myself, several of my adult friends have. Very much a shortness of breath AND lightheadedness thing.

I'm sorry, but despite what some of you are saying...the air up at Haleakala is a lot thinner than airline air. It just has to be, from my own and others reactions.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I would just ask the kid's doctor regarding the safety of infants and high altitudes.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:40 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Once again, it's all about adaptation. If you ascend slowly you'll be fine. Biking to the top as dhuey did will be exhausting, but will cetainly give you more than enough time to adapt to the air as you go up.

If you live above sea level you may have it a bit easier, but don't count on it. You'll be coming from sea level, presumably you already adapted to sea level if you're not going to go there straight from the plane, so it doesn't really matter even if you live in Denver. You'll still have to adapt to the 3000-meter height.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Well, if you just flew in from Denver the night before, you might still be somewhat acclimated to 5000'.

But hey... take it slow and enjoy the scenery on the way up; stop at the various visitor center type places, and that should probably be good enough.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Once again, it's all about adaptation. If you ascend slowly you'll be fine. Biking to the top as dhuey did will be exhausting, but will cetainly give you more than enough time to adapt to the air as you go up.

If you live above sea level you may have it a bit easier, but don't count on it. You'll be coming from sea level, presumably you already adapted to sea level if you're not going to go there straight from the plane, so it doesn't really matter even if you live in Denver. You'll still have to adapt to the 3000-meter height.
since we live at 4000', I don't think that deacclamatization takes place that quickly. However, you're right - there is a difference between 4000 and 10000' so we'll probably take it slow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.