Search

Leis in Oahu

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2006, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW World Perks, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles
Leis in Oahu

Hello,

I need some advice from the locals/frequent travelers to Oahu. My wife and I are taking our first trip to the islands as our 5th anniversary. Part of me wanted to setup the Lei greeting off the flight as a nice touch, but I have heard from some people that this marks you automatically as a tourist. So my backup plan right now is to buy a couple of leis from the stands in the baggage claim area. Where are they in that area and is it normal to just walk up and buy two leis from them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Josejsoe50
Old May 1, 2006, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by josejsoe50
Hello,

I need some advice from the locals/frequent travelers to Oahu. My wife and I are taking our first trip to the islands as our 5th anniversary. Part of me wanted to setup the Lei greeting off the flight as a nice touch, but I have heard from some people that this marks you automatically as a tourist. So my backup plan right now is to buy a couple of leis from the stands in the baggage claim area. Where are they in that area and is it normal to just walk up and buy two leis from them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Josejsoe50
There is a whole suite of lei stands outside the terminal near the inter-island side (you probably want to avoid any leis being sold within the baggage claim area--very much overpriced).

http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/airports/m...inal%20map.pdf

The above link shows you a map of HNL along with where the Lei Stands are located. IIRC, you can walk over and grab a few leis.

Also, FWIW, even if having a lei greeting marks you as a tourist, I don't think it's too much of a big deal. Over 60% of the people traveling through the domestic terminal are tourists any way. They greet you right at the gate (so much for TSA security) and give you the leis right there.... The only problem I see with it is the amount of money they end up charging for a greeting, it's probably not worth it. Though, I can imagine for a first time visitor, it might actually be quite nice.
Old May 1, 2006, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Many of the nicer hotels will give a lei greeting upon check-in, although it's usually a plain orchid (or ti leaf for the men) - but it's free
Old May 2, 2006, 5:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
As A frequent visitor to Hawaii I am getting so tired of the purple orchid lei's. I guess it's the aloha behind being lei'd when arriving at the hotel, but it just seems so obligatory. There are thirty people checking in and like a conveyor line they plant a purple orchid lei on each person and walk away. The Kahala gives the most beautiful green lei's and someone is there to greet you and ask about the flight, etc. It's a really nice touch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.