Search

Honolulu for first time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by DennyO
Yep, they are. When I called I was told no award seats from mid-Feb. until late March.
So I guess I'll have to pay. Maybe if I had moved on this earlier, but anyway. Aloha has some seats that are pretty reasonable, 148+ on airfare.com.
Aloha's having a sale right now for $60 o/w's, which might price out cheaper than what you're finding.

A link to the sale is available here:
http://www.alohaairlines.com/Special...pe=interisland

Hurry on the sale, you need to purchase tickets by midnight HST tomorrow night. Good luck!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA,UA,NW,CO,AQ,HA
Thumbs up Hawai'i

I don't think I remember exactly WHEN you were scheduled to visit Hawai'i, but please realize that the winter-time has the largest influx of folks from all over the world...including the numerous ships docking at the harbors. The Ala Moana Hotel, as has been mentioned, is located within a walk over a bridge to the shopping center. Don't plan on buying anything cheap.......the Ala
Moana Shopping Center was built for the ulta-rich from across the waters! Instead, take the bus around the Island of Oahu, see the different things offered, ie: North Shore with magnificent surf, Haunama Bay, USS Arizona, and possibly Waikele Shopping Center, or the Ward Warehouse Center.

Taking a couple days to visit the VNP (my backyard!), just know there is not a dirth of hotels on the east side of the Big Island of Hawai'i. There are multiple B&B's, with some nice (not glitzy) inns around the volcano area. Look on the internet under "volcano hotels" for a place to stay. It is about an hours' drive from Hilo town, so it would be worth your while to try to stay near the VNP. After you enter the park, you will have access to information on whatever you would like to do. The Observatory for the volcanologists working there is open to the public, and you can ask to speak with any of the geologists or volcanologists on duty. These folks are dedicated to their jobs, and always seek the opportunity to "teach" those who have an interest in volcanos. Hopefully you will enjoy the Big Island, and Hawai'i, in general, and you might save up for another trip to the most isolated landmass in the world!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sydny
I don't think I remember exactly WHEN you were scheduled to visit Hawai'i, but please realize that the winter-time has the largest influx of folks from all over the world...including the numerous ships docking at the harbors.
FWIW, I've been studying a few of the statistical visitor arrival numbers to Hawaii based on the HVCB data for a project and actually have found that the winter arrivals pale in comparison to the summer arrivals... it was a startling read for me in the data, but does make the most sense given the larger concentration of visitors from the Western half of the U.S. When I compare this to the differences in fares I pay for summer trips vs. winter trips, it makes sense. I've always found my winter trips to/from the Mainland to be cheaper than my summer trips (airfare only).
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA,UA,NW,CO,AQ,HA
Smile

Now Slippahs! How can you discount the Hilo Tribune Herald, and the West Hawaii Today, when they loudly herald the fact that the Big Island hotels are maxed out from about 12/15 to 4/1???? Are you just checking the Oahu HCVB? When all the islands were checked, the statistical advantage leaned heavily to the Big Island. Speaking of air fares, I just tried to make arrangements from ITO to ROC, and it's about $3500(F). Last summer I was able to fly for $1800(F)! I'll give you the name of my summertime agent, and you give me the name of your wintertime agent, and we'll both make out like bandits....hee, hee!!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sydny
Now Slippahs! How can you discount the Hilo Tribune Herald, and the West Hawaii Today, when they loudly herald the fact that the Big Island hotels are maxed out from about 12/15 to 4/1???? Are you just checking the Oahu HCVB? When all the islands were checked, the statistical advantage leaned heavily to the Big Island. Speaking of air fares, I just tried to make arrangements from ITO to ROC, and it's about $3500(F). Last summer I was able to fly for $1800(F)! I'll give you the name of my summertime agent, and you give me the name of your wintertime agent, and we'll both make out like bandits....hee, hee!!
Interesting. However, the data I've looked at encompasses the whole state as a whole between 1993-October 2005. So, it discounts this past winter in consideration. Local results may also vary. Also, hotels being maxed out on the Big Island tell little about the actual amount of tourists visiting the state. The hotel occupany rate for the Big Island in June, July and August of 2004 were 70.9%, 78.5% and 77.8% (respectively) compared to the occupany rates for December, January '05 and February '05, which were 61.1%, 75.5% and 76.4%. Also, if we look at the total number of visitors to the Islands in the summer compared to the winter of the same period, we see that June '04 (616,023 visitors), July '04 (683,006) and August '04 (645,543) bring more visitors to the state alone than the winter months of December '04 (622,433), January '05 (599,957) and February '05 (573,212). Despite this small sample, expanding this to other years shows a similar trend: that summer months bring in more visitors to the state than winter months. Believe me, I've had to do my homework on this.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa co
Here I go

thanks to all who have posted with suggestions.

I will plan to go to the Arizzona memorial and climb Diamond Head.
I will go to the north shore (rent a car for one day) to see the pipeline and include a hike or maybe rent a mountain bike for a trail ride.
I still want to snorkel but the comments about Haunama bay have been decidedly mixed, probably more on the overcrowded, not so good side.
On Firday early I will fly to big island early, rent a car and go to VNP. Will stay at volcano house. Will hike a lava field, and try to take in a forest-type hike as well. Maybe find a waterfall?
Saturday evening, I'll fly back to HNL and a couple hours later board my flight back to mainland, work, snow, all that stuff that I'll try not to think of for the seven days I'll be there.

Any last minute comments/suggestions?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 8:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Note from the moderator: the previous post was posted as a separate thread, but I have merged it with the op's earlier thread for continuity's sake.

cblaisd
Co-Moderator, Hawaii forum
Old Feb 14, 2006, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DennyO
thanks to all who have posted with suggestions.

I will plan to go to the Arizzona memorial and climb Diamond Head.
I will go to the north shore (rent a car for one day) to see the pipeline and include a hike or maybe rent a mountain bike for a trail ride.
I still want to snorkel but the comments about Haunama bay have been decidedly mixed, probably more on the overcrowded, not so good side.
On Firday early I will fly to big island early, rent a car and go to VNP. Will stay at volcano house. Will hike a lava field, and try to take in a forest-type hike as well. Maybe find a waterfall?
Saturday evening, I'll fly back to HNL and a couple hours later board my flight back to mainland, work, snow, all that stuff that I'll try not to think of for the seven days I'll be there.

Any last minute comments/suggestions?
Sounds great! Let us know how everything works out--and of course, do not hesitate to get on Flyertalk if any further questions arise (especially when you're out and about around the islands).
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Just be sure to start your climb up Diamond Head as early as possible. It gets really hot as the morning wears on. I have heard they now have lights inside the tunnels. When I did it we were at the mercy of the people in front of us with flashlights.

We also loved the Waikiki Aquarium.

Have a great trip. I will be there next month.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Recreation
Mrs. DennyO should take a tour of Pearl Harbor. Get there early (no later than 8am)...
This quote is from a while ago, but I am just reading this thread. So my question is: why do you suggest getting there so early?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tkey75
This quote is from a while ago, but I am just reading this thread. So my question is: why do you suggest getting there so early?
I'm piggybacking on what Recreation said, but the reason for going early to visit the Arizona Memorial is because everyone is given a ticket for admission that will list a time for visiting the memorial itself. If you get there early, you're more likely to get one of the first tickets, whereas getting there in the later morning or early afternoon may get you a very late ticket (e.g., get there at 11A, have a ticket for 3:30P). Tickets are first come first served.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I'm in Honolulu a whole lot while my poor husband is working & I love going over to Ala Moana - there's stores there you rarely see anywhere else (Loewe is the only one in the US) & the upscale stores are not nearly as intimidating to browse as they are elsewhere. You can not miss a lunch or dinner at Alan Wong's Pineapple Room in Macy's & lunches at Mariposa in Neiman Marcus are excellent & not nearly as stuffy as in other branches. While at NM, check out the sale stuff - they seem to have much better year round sales than my local one does - my daughter is always very happy when I return from HNL!
Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
I remember a big Chinese Restaurant on the second floor of Ala Moana which served very good dim-sum. Is it still there? What's the name?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by LisaH
I remember a big Chinese Restaurant on the second floor of Ala Moana which served very good dim-sum. Is it still there? What's the name?
Are you thinking of China House (hmm...I believe that's the name)? They're closed now.

One thing that made me a little sad walking around Ala Moana last month is how few truly local shops are left. I might as well have been walking around Anymall USA.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Honors, Continental Platinum
Bk

"I booked the Ala Moana Hotel. Anything I should look out for?"

FYI. Ala Moana recently went Bankrupt and the service levels have been affected. Book at another hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.