Popping the question - advice please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold

I would like to propose to my GF this Feb. Strongly considering a short Hawaii trip (our first) of five nights.

I understand that Hawaii is not inexpensive, and would like to use miles for the flight and hotel if possible so I can put more $$$ into the ring.

I can get two First Class tkts from NYC for several dates in Feb including the period covering Valentine's Day with the miles I have.

From research here I am thinking about Kauai - Maybe the Hyatt to use some points and FFN that I have? I realize that it may not seem like the most romantic thing to some but I hope some FTers can relate.

Any thoughts or suggestions on something better than Kauai?

On Kauai oe elsewhere can someone reccomend a wonderful romantic spot to pop the question?

Thanks in advance.

Mapsgl
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:06 am

If you can get FFN rooms in Kauai, I would go for it.

We've been to the three Hyatts in Hawaii and liked Kauai the best by far.

Here are some of my photos if you haven't already seen them:

Hyatt Kauai Photos from August 2004

Also, Continental's BusinessFirst from EWR-HNL is really great if you can get the seats. Much better than any other airline's first class product to Hawaii. They also do EWR-IAH-HNL, EWR-IAH-OGG, but the EWR-IAH segment is domestic first service.

Last edited by Tummy; Nov 22, 2004 at 10:12 am
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Tummy

Your photo's were a big part of my desire for the Kauai Hyatt! I am in the process of planning three business trips for December and plan to incorporate a Hyatt MR.

From some other threads I don't feel real confident about being able to get the FFN's at the property, but want to secure what I can with points and tack on 1 or 2 FFN's if possible.

Availability is okay now, and I am holding out hope that I there will be availability in 38 days after my trips are complete. I am working on back up plans.

I really want to find a special spot to pop the question and enjoy the start of planning our new life together.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
There are tons of magnificent planes on Kaua'i where you can pop the question. Hanalei Bay at sunset is one.

aloha
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by slippahs
There are tons of magnificent planes on Kaua'i where you can pop the question. Hanalei Bay at sunset is one.

aloha
The Kalalau Valley might be a nice spot, but you would do best to get there early and wait until the clouds part... (see photos of Kauai at http://MyHawaiianSite.com and click on the photo of Kauai.

I agree that Hanalei Bay might be a good spot, Kee Beach, the valley, the canyon or even Anini Beach.

Then again, just drive around and pop the question when the time is right. The place is sure to be beautiful :-)

Take some photos of the location so you will remember where to visit on each anniversary.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
$ saving tips re Hawaii & marriage:

-- book a hotel/resort through Priceline.com (check the latest successful bids over at biddingfortravel.com)

-- don't waste big bucks on an expensive ring. You and she are essentially one financially now. There are no more real gifts between you. There is only the expenditure of your joint money on things. Wouldn't having more money for a down payment on a house ultimately make you both happier? How about a nice ruby/emerald for under $1,500?

Deep breath. Exhale. Okay, I'm better now. Just annoyed with how the diamond cartel has brainwashed the world into thinking we should spend "three months salary" on an engagement ring.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by mapsgl
Tummy

Your photo's were a big part of my desire for the Kauai Hyatt! I am in the process of planning three business trips for December and plan to incorporate a Hyatt MR.

From some other threads I don't feel real confident about being able to get the FFN's at the property, but want to secure what I can with points and tack on 1 or 2 FFN's if possible.

Availability is okay now, and I am holding out hope that I there will be availability in 38 days after my trips are complete. I am working on back up plans.

I really want to find a special spot to pop the question and enjoy the start of planning our new life together.
Thanks! It was very nice and we want to go back there again sometime.

I know for Diamonds Gold Passport will hold a reservation for you even before you have the FFNs or points in your account. You will just have to make sure that they're in your account before check in.

I would suggest you make your reservations right now if you can get them. You can switch them later to paid nights if you won't have the awards in time, but award rooms are very limited.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
I would like to propose to my GF this Feb. Strongly considering a short Hawaii trip (our first) of five nights.

Mapsgl
Maybe you should wait until the last night just in case she says "no."

I'll be in Kauai in a few weeks and would be happy to send you pictures of any spots you may be considering .
Old Nov 22, 2004, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tummy
Thanks! It was very nice and we want to go back there again sometime.

I know for Diamonds Gold Passport will hold a reservation for you even before you have the FFNs or points in your account. You will just have to make sure that they're in your account before check in.

I would suggest you make your reservations right now if you can get them. You can switch them later to paid nights if you won't have the awards in time, but award rooms are very limited.

Unfortunately I am only Plat so there is no way for me to "hold" the reservation. :-( I will just have to pray that things work out.

I will probably try to reserve the most difficult nights and then add in other award or FFN nights as I obtain them. Hopefully these next 38 days will pass quickly.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Unfortunately I am only Plat so there is no way for me to "hold" the reservation. :-( I will just have to pray that things work out.

I will probably try to reserve the most difficult nights and then add in other award or FFN nights as I obtain them. Hopefully these next 38 days will pass quickly.
Why not contacting the GM at the Hyatt, explaining exactly what you'll be doing (proposing and the problem with the FFN nights) and ask to see if he can help you out in any way?

It wouldn't hurt to try... Good luck!

aloha
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Slippahs

I have learned so much from your various post I have read in searching this forum.

I will contact the GM this week to see if there is anything he or she can so.

I am also considering to possibly break my stay up to 3 nights on Kaua'i and 3 nights on another Island as a way to make everything work. Not sure if that's too much for a first trip to Hawaii...

Thanks Again

Mapsgl
Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Good luck to you with the GM.

Three days might be too little on your first trip. I'd stay on Kaua'i and venture out to another island on your next trip or if you had more time. Then again, there isn't all too much to do on the Garden Isle, so you might be able to fit it in, but why rush it? You'll be in Hawai'i.

aloha
Old Nov 23, 2004, 2:41 pm

Programs: United
My only advice comes from my jeweler:

If you are going to propose on a beach, be really, really, really careful when handling the ring. Get it on her finger as soon as possible. Dropping a ring in the sand (especially at night) is a very bad thing. You don't want to lose a ring you just paid thousands of dollars for.

For what it's worth, I proposed to my now-wife on the beach at the Four Seasons in Maui. It was great. If I had to do it over again, the only thing I'd do differently was get down on one knee. I still get grief about that and it was 6 years ago.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChicagoBound
My only advice comes from my jeweler:

If you are going to propose on a beach, be really, really, really careful when handling the ring. Get it on her finger as soon as possible. Dropping a ring in the sand (especially at night) is a very bad thing. You don't want to lose a ring you just paid thousands of dollars for.

For what it's worth, I proposed to my now-wife on the beach at the Four Seasons in Maui. It was great. If I had to do it over again, the only thing I'd do differently was get down on one knee. I still get grief about that and it was 6 years ago.

Wow I never thought about the danger of a sunset or starlight proposal. I will be nervous enough getting through TSA screening without her knowing. Although I suspect she knows everything before I do....

I will heed your warning and get it done quickly. I am already nervous and it's months away....
Old Nov 23, 2004, 3:44 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Some friends of mine just returned from Kaua`i on their honeymoon. They took a helicopter tour* and, as part of the tour, they landed at a secluded clearing next to a waterfall and had a private lunch. Sounds like a romantic place...

Best wishes and good luck!

* I'm on record as being very cautious about recommending helicopter tours, due to the risk of accidents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.