Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Outrigger Reef Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Outrigger Reef Hotel

Just want to get some advice from you gurugs. has anyone had any experience with Outrigger Reef Hotel? Thanks!

http://www.outrigger.com/hotels_detail.aspx?hotel=2

Old Jan 12, 2004, 5:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sbbi:
Just want to get some advice from you gurugs. has anyone had any experience with Outrigger Reef Hotel? Thanks!

http://www.outrigger.com/hotels_detail.aspx?hotel=2
</font>
I've stayed here several times. If you are looking for anything fancy or high end, this isn't it. However, I think it is a great moderately-priced hotel that is beachfront. The bar/grill is one of my favorite low-key lunch places on Waikiki.
Email me if you have any specific questions.
Caroline
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:26 am

I was "supposed" to stay here for Christmas till TRAVELWEB screwed up my prepaid/confirmed reservation

We did walk thru it tho. It seemed nice enough. Would concur with the above poster. It is a good location and you can find good specials sometimes.

I have stayed at the Outrigger Waikoloa (now a Marriott/Outrigger?), it is terrific and has a more upscale feel to it.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
When staying at an Outrigger Hotel, I always stay at the Outrigger Waikiki.

It's in the center of Waikiki and is a little closer to everything.

It may be only a few dollars more to stay there, I'm not sure.

The Reef is down by Fort DeRussy Park and next to the Halekulani. Not a bad location either.

Mary
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed here many, many times since the 1960s and visited again this past August.

Agree with carolinept's assessment. It's nice, but certainly not luxurious. Kinda Holiday Inn-ish, IMHO. In a very busy area, but then again, most of Waikiki is that way.

This used to be the lowest priced hotel you could get right on the beach. Don't know if that's true any longer, but I suspect that it still is.

There used to be a well known and great bar...Davy Jones Locker...underground at the main pool that had one of those great 60's huge windows underwater behind the bar looking in at all the swimmers. Long gone to the public (I believe it closed in the late '80s), but it's still down there beneath the small poolside "Chief's Hut" restaurant/bar. Sadly, the window has been plastered over on the pool side. I had a nice Security Manager take me down there for an "old times sake" nostalgic visit. Some of the bar stuff is still down there collecting dust, and it's just used as a storage room now with boxes and equipment piled everywhere. The Security Manager and I swapped some great stories of our "adventures" down there in it's hey-day. I bet if someone put the window back, and reopened it as a new-age-retro bar, it would be a huge hit with the younger crowd.

Here's a tiny shot of a postcard of it I just found on the web:

http://www.judnick.com/images/Mermai...ones_small.jpg

And a shore leave excerpt from a Submariner's diary (USS Tunny), that pretty much sums up one of the attractions of this once famous, but still infamous bar:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Briefly, the story about pig is that he got some gal naked and took her in the swimming pool at the chief's hut bar. The side of the pool that he backed her up against was glass...In the bar downstairs (Davy Jones Locker) the back of the bar was a glass looking into the swimming pool...need I say more...</font>

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited Jan 13, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.