Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Going to Pearl Harbor -- Questions & Suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:54 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Here's a current update (December 2009):

There is a lot of construction at the current visitor's center as the newer one is built next door. Ticketing is now done at a central ticketing office (for those familiar, it is in front of the U.S.S. Bowfin). Tickets for the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial (the visit includes a 20 minute movie and visits to the memorial via Navy launches) are still free and there is a seperate window for visitors just wanting tickets for the memorial. There are also ticket windows for the other attractions (U.S.S. Missouri, Bowfin, etc.).

This is the current process to visit the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial:

1. Park Car
2. Check Bags, if needed, at kiosk by ticket window ($3). The ban on bags, purses, camera bags, etc. remains very strictly enforced.
3. Walk to central ticket window and get free tickets for the memorial. We showed up around 9:30 a.m. on a weekday and were given tickets to the 10:15 movie.
4. Walk to the old visitor's center to view the movie (the bookstore and other exhibits are still open)
5. Watch the movie
6. Board the launch after the movie ends (my tip - sit on the port side on both the trip to and from the memorial; you'll have the best views).
7. Return to old visitor's center

Here's an article that discusses the current construction and includes a map overview:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...=2009912060374
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:43 pm

FlyinHawaiian has it exactly right.

We just got back from Oahu. Our biggest mistake was arriving at the memorial at 11:00 a.m. We were given tickets to the 2:15 p.m. movie showing, and so had to kill 3 hours - and there's not a whole lot to do there.

The experience was well worth the wait. However, my advice is to get there as early as you possibly can. Later, we spoke to someone at the hotel who said they recommend that visitors plan to go to the memorial on their first day in Honolulu. Assuming you are from the mainland, you will probably wake up early anyway, so go ahead and go that day.

We took TheBus (the local bus line). Fare is only $2.25 each way and it takes about an hour.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:28 pm

All good advice and glad you enjoyed the visit. Although I see from your posting they have raised TheBus fare to $2.25, am glad to see the senior fare is still $1.00
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:30 pm

Pearl Harbor & Honolulu

Hi Travelers,

I'm taking my wife and two teenagers to Lanai in May, but I want to stop in Oahu and visit Pearl Harbor, Waikiki and more, etc. I've allocated about a day and a half for this before going to Lanai. I've been to Maui and Kauai and feel like I should do this on this trip.

Looking for recommendations/suggestions for sightseeing (open to anything) and definitely some recommendations on lodging on the best area or place to stay to accomplish this. Price is not a major issue. We will arrive in Honolulu around noon on a Friday and depart for Lanai on Sunday morning around 10:00am.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Aloha! What a great "problem" to have! I lived on Oahu for 3 years (husband was military), so one suggestion is to visit the Aloha Flea Market after Pearl Harbor. It is very very close, and a great place to pick up tee shirts and dried fruits and yummy flavored macadamia nuts. It is where I frequently did our holiday shopping, and my family back home loved the gifts we'd send. Tee shirts are about $3 each, so your teens may like some for friends back home (just be careful on quality, check each out before buying).

Get an early start Saturday, which is easy with the time change from the mainland.

I also recommend Genki Sushi in Pearl City for lunch - on Kamehameha Hwy I think. If you like sushi that is. We love that place, and you won't find many tourists there.

It will make for a long day, but afterward, you can drive up on H1 North to the Dole Pineapple Plantation if you want. Although, since you're going to Lanai, maybe you can skip that. You'll see plenty of pineapples on Lanai.

For just two nights, stay in Waikiki. There is a new Embassy Suites that looks really nice. Definitely get a rental car.

Waikiki will be fun for two nights, then Lanai will feel so relaxing! I'm sure the teens will enjoy the action, and the people. There are lots of good restaurants - we love relaxing at the Moana Surfrider so much! They have wonderful musicians there, and it's just a beautiful hotel. The rooms can be small, so if you stay there, definitely get a tower wing room or connecting rooms (we did that in 2008, we have two children almost teens, son just turned 13 and daughter is almost 11, so wanted two rooms). Even though it's pricey, I'd use valet parking if you stay there. The service is excellent.

We also like Tanaka of Tokyo for teppanyaki dining. There are two locations in Waikiki. Chinese food is not what we're used to, never found much good with the exception of Panda Express at the mall!

The teens may enjoy checking out Ala Moana mall, if they're into shopping. I'm not, so don't really bother unless there is something I need. From the Moana you can take the city bus easily (did that once, it was actually kind of fun).

I'd see what time the center opens at Pearl Harbor and definitely get there right before they do - they get busy and it will minimize your wait.

Have fun!
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC*E
I'm headed to HNL for a few days in March. Mornings will be busy with a conference, but done by 1300 each day. Have one full day with no conference which I assume I will use for Pearl Harbour. Any suggestions on activities for the afternoons? If I can't get tickets for Arizona, I assume the other parts of Pearl Harbour are worth seeing?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
You should be able to get a ticket, it just may be a couple of hours wait. On the plus side, there is a lot to see at the museum, so I'd still go!
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
FYI - Boat tours to the USS Arizona Memorial will be suspended April 5-14, 2010 due to construction near the boat dock.

We went 3/28 (Saturday). Arrived 7:45 AM and received 9:40 AM tickets. We wanted to get there earlier but getting the kids moving slowed us down...

Second visit, still very moving experience and well worth any wait.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:24 pm

How long is said "movie"?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:01 pm

Not very long - maybe 20 minutes?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:03 pm

23 minutes!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:19 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've seen the movie at least a dozen times (and still rememember the one that it replaced). I think it does a very good job of giving an overview of the global events leading up to Pearl Harbor, the details of the attack, and the aftermath.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:22 am

Can one person get the tickets for everyone in the party or does everyone need to come in and be present at the ticket window?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:27 am

Normally one per person.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Here's a current update (December 2009):

There is a lot of construction at the current visitor's center as the newer one is built next door. Ticketing is now done at a central ticketing office (for those familiar, it is in front of the U.S.S. Bowfin). Tickets for the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial (the visit includes a 20 minute movie and visits to the memorial via Navy launches) are still free and there is a seperate window for visitors just wanting tickets for the memorial. There are also ticket windows for the other attractions (U.S.S. Missouri, Bowfin, etc.).

This is the current process to visit the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial:

1. Park Car
2. Check Bags, if needed, at kiosk by ticket window ($3). The ban on bags, purses, camera bags, etc. remains very strictly enforced.
3. Walk to central ticket window and get free tickets for the memorial. We showed up around 9:30 a.m. on a weekday and were given tickets to the 10:15 movie.
4. Walk to the old visitor's center to view the movie (the bookstore and other exhibits are still open)
5. Watch the movie
6. Board the launch after the movie ends (my tip - sit on the port side on both the trip to and from the memorial; you'll have the best views).
7. Return to old visitor's center

Here's an article that discusses the current construction and includes a map overview:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...=2009912060374
I assume this will be applicable in August or hope that it is applicable

I arrive on a Sunday and would go with my boys 8 & 10 during the week; with the time change, I'm guessing early in the week while they are still getting up early

My plan is to take the bus with some cash and a camera so a few questions to the above.

1. Afternoon > I know I said morning but is everyone gone by the afternoon where if we left the hotel at noon (via bus) that we could arrive and not expect a long wait? just checking

2. Would an 8 y.o. get a lot out of the movie?

3. What is free and what has a charge?

4. anything decent to buy in the bookstore, just so I know how much cash to bring

5. along the cash question; does the bus charge less for kids? tours that charge.. do they have kids rates or is it like disneyland.. anyone 3 or more is an adult lol

6. Port is which side lol

7. Bus ride from the Hilton; anyone know off hand what the bus number might be?

8. tickets > is this something that I can go say on Monday and pick up tickets for Tuesday or another day?

9. I take it there is an onsite place to eat? If we go real early we will miss b/f at the hotel so the boys will need to eat and could kill some time while we wait.

10. if we were to only pay for one thing (I'm assuming that there are multiple choices although I may be wrong), what would you suggest is the best tour for 8 & 10 y.o. boys? or if the Big Mo is the only pay tour, is it worth it for the kids?

edited to add; the link in the post quoted does not work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.