Consolidated "Going to Pearl Harbor -- Questions & Suggestions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Going to Pearl Harbor -- Questions & Suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2021, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Bumping this very old thread to ask about Pearl Harbor visits in general. First time Hawaii visit, and definitely want to visit PH. We have tickets for the Arizona already (yea!) but I am trying to wade through all the information on the various sites and tours. Our travel preference is to do it our selves without a tour but want to make sure I understand options. It looks like we can drive there, park and store luggage (we will have carryon type luggage and a backpack) and visit the two memorials and the two museums. Please confirm that
USS Missouri memorial is free
The Aviation and submarine museums are paid admission and we can buy a tour or just buy a ticket to the museums
We can park once for all of these activities and waik/shuttle between PH itself and the museums.

The Arizona tour is at 3pm so we will do everything else before - how much time should we plan to do it all?

Not sure if I am even asking the right questions, but the website for the tours needs some interpreting.
We didn't go to the USS Missouri but I don't think it is free. Here is the link to the General Admission price:
https://www.pearlharborhistoricsites...eship-missouri

We did the Sub (paid), the general display at PH, and Arizona movie and boat ride. We probably spent about 2.5 hours there. I know they have paid lockers there but don't think it would be big enough to store carry-ons? If you have a car, why not just leave them in the trunk? We took a bus there from Waikiki.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:28 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Need
If you have a car, why not just leave them in the trunk? We took a bus there from Waikiki.
Not advisable due the historical targeting of tourists at this site by thieves. Never leave valuables in your car, and if you do, don’t be an idiot and place your valuables in the trunk when you arrive at your parking spot.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I actually called the museum yesterday just to check on accuracy of website information given the time. First tried the official government site, but no answer and no way to leave a message. The museum number was promptly answered, and the gentleman was very helpful. There is an outsourced baggage facility that can handle luggage sized pieces. Open the same hours as the sites, until 5. For the few dollars, worth the peace of mind and can enjoy the day without worry. We are trying to optimize time, sightseeing and getting to the airport, wouldn't save time if all our luggage was stolen. The museum also reiterated, do not open your trunk when you get to Pearl Harbor - its an open invitation. He also said you really didnt need to advance purchase tickets except for the Arizona. We are flying to Big Island from Pearl Harbor so a car makes sense that day but still trying to figure out logistics of getting to hotel, and car for the other 2 days in HNL with the crazy parking fee for hotels - more than the day's car rental!
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:20 am

Thanks to all for the good info. I'm going to try to get the flights reserved right away. Maui in February! I can't wait.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
No Arizona Memorial Tickets? Don't Worry.

So just returned from HNL; visited Pearl without tickets for the Arizona Memorial - wasnt quick enough to get them before the trip. However, I was able to get same day tickets and I wanted to share a tip on how to do that (this may have been covered in other posts but didnt find it mentioned).

The Park Service makes limited number of tickets available at 3pm the day before. Unfortunately, the tour companies have lots of stringers waiting to snatch them all up - and typically the tickets are gone within minutes of 3pm. So, if you missed that opportunity and do not want to pay for a tour that will include tickets, what to do?

Line up early for free standby tickets. Arrive by 6:30am and get in the line for stand-by tickets. When the park opens at 7am the rangers will lead you to a special stand-by queue just outside the movie theater for the Arizona. As folks with tickets fail to show for their assigned time the rangers will fill the empty seats on the boat from the standby line. There is no charge for this ticket (whereas there is a $1 fee for reserving tickets online). You might have to wait a while for the first several boats to cycle through but it seems to go pretty quickly. The rangers said Saturdays are the best day to standby; we were about 30th in line but still got on the very first boat.

Hope this helps!
747FC, Buster CT1K and willoL like this.
Old May 17, 2023, 5:43 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Is Pearl Habor destination achievable in 2-3 hours ?
Yes, although you'd probably want to take a taxi/rideshare versus public transit to maximize your limited time there. You'd have time to visit the main museum (free admission) but to visit the USS Arizona Memorial, you'd need to get a timed ticket in advance or hope to get a limited standby https://www.nps.gov/perl/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm

Of specific note, you'd need to store any carry on luggage before you enter the park. https://www.nps.gov/perl/planyourvisit/safety.htm
rajhyd99 likes this.
Old May 17, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
The #42 bus will take you from Waikiki to the Arizona Memorial in ~ 1 hour.
The bus runs 2-3 times/hour.
It drops you at a bus stop on the circular driveway in the memorial grounds.
However, to catch #42 for the return to Waikiki, you must exit the circular driveway and turn left onto Kamehameha Highway to find the bus stop, which is around a half block away. Signage is poor to non-existent.
One way fare is $3.
Senior and student fares $1.50.
Cash accepted, but bring exact change as no change is given.
rajhyd99 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue

Finally, be sure to book a reservation to the Arizona/Pearl Harbor memorial. This is really the only tourist "must do" that we would recommend.

Aloha!
Some clarification on tickets needed at Pearl Harbor. There is no ticket or charge to enter the National Park Service Pearl Harbor memorial and museum. But "free" tickets are required for a seat on the US Navy ferry to the Arizona Memorial; there is a $1 per ticket service charge.

Paid tickets are required for the Missouri battleship, the Bowfin submarine and the Aviation museum because those are not National Park Service attractions.

The other attractions can take a lot of time to see them thoroughly and it takes a while to be transported to each of them. So my advice is to do the Arizona as early as possible and then see the other attractions.

Arizona tickets are released daily at 3pm for two reservation windows: 24 hours and 8 weeks in advance. They get snatched up VERY quickly. If you are not going to buy a tour guide package and you missed out two months before on the day you want, there are options:
1. Try for the tickets released at 3pm the day before - but be online early with quick fingers to get them.

2. THE REAL TIP: There is a space-available standby line because many ticket holders do not show up and the Navy does not want to leave any empty seats. The standby line access is free and does not need a boat ticket. Tips for the standby line: Best days are the weekends - for some reason more people fail to honor their reservations on weekend days. To minimize waiting in line: get there EARLY - 7am - before the gates open. The rangers will establish a line outside the gates just for standby people. If you get there by 7am chances are you will be on the first or second boat. Boats run every 15 minutes.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Section 107
Some clarification on tickets needed at Pearl Harbor. There is no ticket or charge to enter the National Park Service Pearl Harbor memorial and museum. But "free" tickets are required for a seat on the US Navy ferry to the Arizona Memorial; there is a $1 per ticket service charge.

Paid tickets are required for the Missouri battleship, the Bowfin submarine and the Aviation museum because those are not National Park Service attractions.

The other attractions can take a lot of time to see them thoroughly and it takes a while to be transported to each of them. So my advice is to do the Arizona as early as possible and then see the other attractions.

Arizona tickets are released daily at 3pm for two reservation windows: 24 hours and 8 weeks in advance. They get snatched up VERY quickly. If you are not going to buy a tour guide package and you missed out two months before on the day you want, there are options:
1. Try for the tickets released at 3pm the day before - but be online early with quick fingers to get them.

2. THE REAL TIP: There is a space-available standby line because many ticket holders do not show up and the Navy does not want to leave any empty seats. The standby line access is free and does not need a boat ticket. Tips for the standby line: Best days are the weekends - for some reason more people fail to honor their reservations on weekend days. To minimize waiting in line: get there EARLY - 7am - before the gates open. The rangers will establish a line outside the gates just for standby people. If you get there by 7am chances are you will be on the first or second boat. Boats run every 15 minutes.
We missed getting tickets 8 wks out but plan to try getting some day in advance. We will be there in one week, for 8 nights. Better trying to secure tickets online or is the standby line a reasonably safe bet if we arrive early? Thing we dont want to do is get there and NOT be able to secure a ride to the Memorial.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:41 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
We missed getting tickets 8 wks out but plan to try getting some day in advance. We will be there in one week, for 8 nights. Better trying to secure tickets online or is the standby line a reasonably safe bet if we arrive early? Thing we dont want to do is get there and NOT be able to secure a ride to the Memorial.
Get the tickets on-line immediately after they become available. There is usually a wide selection of times available. The standby line can be quite long and there are better things to do with your time there than queueing.

Also, make restaurant reservations as soon as possible.
And, instead of standing in line at extremely popular Marugame Udon, use their takeout service/window.

Last edited by dlaue; Feb 7, 2024 at 10:59 am
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Originally Posted by dlaue
Get the tickets on-line immediately after they become available. There is usually a wide selection of times available. The standby line can be quite long and there are better things to do with your time there than queueing.

Also, make restaurant reservations as soon as possible.
And, instead of standing in line at extremely popular Marugame Udon, use their takeout service/window.
Get tickets online if you can, you will then be able to better schedule your day. If you are going to do the standby line, get there as early as possible to minimize time in the line. If you get there by 7am, especially on the weekends, you will most likely be on the first few boats. I was there on a Saturday, so I do not have firsthand knowledge of how long the standby line can be on a weekday. But with boats running every 15 minutes, I suppose the line will not take terribly long - and will definitely be worth the wait however long it is. Once you are in the line, only one person in the party needs to stay in queue, the others can walk around and see the very nearby displays and swap places with the line holder until your party's trip gets close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.