Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Maui Activities & 'Must Do'" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by htown
I'll be going here in February next year. What time does the sun set over there? I'm trying to plan my dinners around then.
Not sure if you are staying near Ka'anapali, but if you are can I suggest Dukes Beach House. Our sunset photo there was the highlight picture of our trip.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ghia74
Not sure if you are staying near Ka'anapali, but if you are can I suggest Dukes Beach House. Our sunset photo there was the highlight picture of our trip.
Thanks. That place is only 3 miles away from the Sheraton Maui. I'll definitely check it out. I also made reservations to Merriman's a little further north.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by htown
Thanks. That place is only 3 miles away from the Sheraton Maui. I'll definitely check it out. I also made reservations to Merriman's a little further north.
You will be able to walk to Duke's from the Sheraton along the paved beach walk its about a 25 min walk.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Maui: Any need to book activities/attractions in advance?

Going to OGG with my wife, baby boy and my parents. We've booked the flight, condo and car.

Seeing that this is going to be my first time in HI, I thought I'd ask whether there are any activities or attractions that we should consider booking in advance? I normally hate to book these things in advance but I'm not sure if there are any must-see events or sights that would be better to reserve before leaving home.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Going to OGG with my wife, baby boy and my parents. We've booked the flight, condo and car.

Seeing that this is going to be my first time in HI, I thought I'd ask whether there are any activities or attractions that we should consider booking in advance? I normally hate to book these things in advance but I'm not sure if there are any must-see events or sights that would be better to reserve before leaving home.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
When in Maui, do it the local way...just chill and see how you feel. If it is booked, it is booked...
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by 747FC
When in Maui, do it the local way...just chill and see how you feel. If it is booked, it is booked...
^

Will do! Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Top two shows on Trip Advisor ratings

Don't wait until the last minute to book something you really want to see.
One example: Warren & Annabelle's - http://www.warrenandannabelles.com/the-show

Another: Burn'n Love, an Elvis impersonator. http://www.burnnlove.com/show-information

We've seen the first and will see the second in January.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: hilton diamond, united 1k, priority
Non snorkeling boat trips

I have an off question. Traveling with some young adults to Maui in June and they love the ocean and boats but are kind of freaked out about open ocean snorking. We had a scary experience last time. Any tour company's that it more about seeing the Dolphins or scenery and less snorke time. They don't mind if there is some bug they will probably stay on the boat.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by avnmgr
I have an off question. Traveling with some young adults to Maui in June and they love the ocean and boats but are kind of freaked out about open ocean snorking. We had a scary experience last time. Any tour company's that it more about seeing the Dolphins or scenery and less snorke time. They don't mind if there is some bug they will probably stay on the boat.
So sorry about the bad experience! You might want to check on one of the trips that goes to or circumnavigates Lanai - there are some snorkel stops but there's also a lot to see, and learn about. IIRC, we snorkeled from shore at Lanai, in addition to snorkeling from the boat (no more than 30 yards from shore in one place, but that may qualify as "open ocean" for the kids). And there are always a few on the boat who don't snorkel, in my experience. Try for a smaller boat for a better experience.

There are also trips to and tours of Molokai, but I found that a bit of a snooze (though the history - it was a leper colony until the 60s - is fascinating)
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by philemer
Don't wait until the last minute to book something you really want to see.
One example: Warren & Annabelle's - http://www.warrenandannabelles.com/the-show

Another: Burn'n Love, an Elvis impersonator. http://www.burnnlove.com/show-information

We've seen the first and will see the second in January.
Wife, sister & I saw Burn'n Love in January. It was VERY good. The guy has lots of energy and an Elvis-like voice. We may go again next year!

Last edited by philemer; Mar 18, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by avnmgr
What kind of scary experience?

There are dolphin and whale-specific tours that don't include any snorkeling, and you can just snorkel from Black Rock which is probably one of the world's safest shoreline snorkeling locales.

Dolphins are definitely more active around Lana'i, Big Island and some parts of O'ahu, but a little less prevalent around Mau'i.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: hilton diamond, united 1k, priority
Originally Posted by bocastephen
What kind of scary experience?
There are dolphin and whale-specific tours that don't include any snorkeling, and you can just snorkel from Black Rock which is probably one of the world's safest shoreline snorkeling locales.

Dolphins are definitely more active around Lana'i, Big Island and some parts of O'ahu, but a little less prevalent around Mau'i.[/QUOTE

No whales in mid June unfortunately. . Last snorkeling tour we had an encounter with an unhappy hammerhead. Brother in law was the last one in the boat.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 8, 2015 at 5:23 am Reason: repair quote
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold
For one of the best days of snorkeling, I would recommend the Trilogy catamaran tours.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Day sail?

Are there any day sails offered for 2 or 4 people on a smaller boat? If we went to Ma'alaea harbor would we find 8 1/2 x 11 handbills tacked to telephone poles advertising? Not interested in a 65 ft catamaran filled with screaming kids and teenagers glued to electronics. (Hey, kids, get off my boat!)
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:02 am

Looking for good snorkeling that's not far from the Kihei/Wailea area. We'll be at the Andaz.

Last trip, Andaz beach snorkeling actually wasn't too bad. But we went to Ahihi, and it was pretty dead compared to a few years ago.

I saw a reference to a place called "Bumps" but can't figure out where that is.

Anyone have a good tip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.